Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2019, 07:11 PM

Default Got my free Google Home Mini from Spotify...

... But I've never trusted the things from day one.

Then I got reading and one article got me debating plugging the thing in...

Basically it said your smartphone is already collecting just as much if not more personal information than these home assistants.

What do you guys think of them? Kids gotten them for you? Getting used to talking to a machine? Concerns about privacy?
Old 05-22-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
... But I've never trusted the things from day one.

Then I got reading and one article got me debating plugging the thing in...

Basically it said your smartphone is already collecting just as much if not more personal information than these home assistants.

What do you guys think of them? Kids gotten them for you? Getting used to talking to a machine? Concerns about privacy?
I don't have one but I don't think its going to take any more info than a smart phone.

Some of the adds I get just blow me away.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I don't have one but I don't think its going to take any more info than a smart phone.

Some of the adds I get just blow me away.
No kidding. Buddy and I are chatting the other day in his kitchen about random stuff, somehow the conversation gets onto pizza pops. 20 minutes later I'm scrolling Instagram and what ad do I get for the first time ever... Pizza pops. Never Googled it or anything, haven't even thought of them in years until it got brought up in conversation. We're kidding ourselves if we don't think that our smart phones are listening to us any different than those smart home devices.

I'd get one if someone gave me one. No other desire for one otherwise. Maybe if nothing else, they're a good introduction to IoT.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
No kidding. Buddy and I are chatting the other day in his kitchen about random stuff, somehow the conversation gets onto pizza pops. 20 minutes later I'm scrolling Instagram and what ad do I get for the first time ever... Pizza pops. Never Googled it or anything, haven't even thought of them in years until it got brought up in conversation. We're kidding ourselves if we don't think that our smart phones are listening to us any different than those smart home devices.

I'd get one if someone gave me one. No other desire for one otherwise. Maybe if nothing else, they're a good introduction to IoT.
The girlfriend gets those constantly. It's why I deleted my Facebook account.

"No! We swear! We'd never listen without your consent!."
"Then why the hell am I seeing ads for Speed Stick after she told me I stink?"
Old 05-22-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
The girlfriend gets those constantly. It's why I deleted my Facebook account.

"No! We swear! We'd never listen without your consent!."
"Then why the hell am I seeing ads for Speed Stick after she told me I stink?"
Just a completely unrelated question, but have you been riding around with Buzzard?
Old 05-22-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Just a completely unrelated question, but have you been riding around with Buzzard?
Let's just say that if I'd finished high school I'd be working with computers instead of trucks for a living.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:32 AM

I was talking to a guy at work from Louisiana about the state, had my phone in my chest pocket. First add when I opened up Kijiji 20 mins later was real estate in Louisiana.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:58 AM

I've had ads pop up when it wasn't even a conversation or a text. I picked up an item in a store and looked at it and an ad popped up for one within a day.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:43 AM

Question

My wife asked me why i carry a gun in the house.
I looked at her and said DECEPTICONS. She laughed, i laughed, the toaster laughed, i shot the toaster, it was a good time.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:47 AM
Banned

Everything you've ever said to a Google Home is recorded. You can even play it back. Just remember, Google protects your privacy and security.

If you’re concerned about the information your device has on you, most offer users the ability to listen to -- and permanently delete -- stored recordings. A Google Home user can click “Google Account” underneath their profile pictures in a web browser, then on the next page, click “Manage your Google activity” (under the “Personal info & privacy” section), followed by “Go to my activity” (under the “Review activity” section). You can delete queries individually or, to delete all stored queries at once, select the “Delete activity by” link on the left side of the page, then click “all time.” Amazon Echo users, on the other hand, can delete stored information via the Alexa app by clicking “Settings” under the hamburger icon, then choosing “History.” You’ll be able to listen to and delete individual recordings. To delete them all simultaneously, head to Amazon’s Manage Your Content and Devices page. (Tech companies warn that user experience -- such as vocal recognition and personalization -- may be impacted by deleting stored information.)
Old 05-23-2019, 07:01 AM

In general I don't trust Google. They make money with information, guess what?
I feel much better about Apple. They make money with their hardware mostly. It's in their interested to be safe and secure as that sells hardware.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 05-23-2019, 07:50 AM

Yeah pretty hard to look online at anything these days. In the last year the wife has busted me for her Xmas present and birthday present. One day around Xmas she asks me “why do I keep getting ads popping up for Insta-pots.” So after Xmas she figures it out. I never learned my lesson with that one and she figured it out that she was getting a Fitbit for her birthday. No secrets anymore thanks to technology.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:18 AM
Banned

The thing that bothers me is that these things are never 'off'.
It was in the news just a couple of weeks ago that Amazon admitted that Alexa is recording all the time. How else would it know to 'turn on' when you say it's name.
Am in the midst of a very interesting book (Comsec). All about how your service provider is required to store all your texts and such for five years...that's just a quick subpoena away from stuff you say in jest to a friend being used in a court case against you.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:14 AM

Thumbs down They need you to drink the Kool-Aid

Society has been led to believe that giving up privacy in the name of security is necessary for progress. Soon we will have neither.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fingerprint scanners.jpg (75.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: png fingerprint scanners 2.png (295.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IT knows the risks.jpg (35.3 KB, 34 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-23-2019, 10:17 AM

Supposedly they're "listening" but not "recording" all the time. Google says they only store and review the wake up words.

As for Alexa I don't trust Amazon just because of that name. Remember in the 2000's when you had to have not just an anti-virus but a spyware cleaner like Spybot Search & Destroy? The absolute most common spyware it found was from a company called Alexa. Not sure if Amazon ever bought them out but the connotation is just too coincidental.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
My wife asked me why i carry a gun in the house.
I looked at her and said DECEPTICONS. She laughed, i laughed, the toaster laughed, i shot the toaster, it was a good time.
Now that is funny!