Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2019, 07:49 AM

Default Opinions on Side by Sides

Been looking at buying a side by side. On kijiji its mostly the polaris RZR's but there is some Arctic Cats, CF moto etc.

Whats everyone got? And whats your suggestions?

Cheers
Old 03-13-2019, 08:05 AM

I have a ranger and a Kawasaki teryx 4, The ranger are tough and great utility machines but the Kawasaki teryx is a lot more sporty and versatile. I put some larger tires and a lift on it and it goes places I really shouldn't. I have three kids so its nice that we can all ride together in one machine when my kids don't want to ride their quads. My neighbours at the lake have canams and rzrs and honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I got to test out the new can am maverick x3. Its unreal how powerful it is and the suspension set up is crazy. 120KM/HR is fast!
Old 03-13-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
I have a ranger and a Kawasaki teryx 4, The ranger are tough and great utility machines but the Kawasaki teryx is a lot more sporty and versatile. I put some larger tires and a lift on it and it goes places I really shouldn't. I have three kids so its nice that we can all ride together in one machine when my kids don't want to ride their quads. My neighbours at the lake have canams and rzrs and honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I got to test out the new can am maverick x3. Its unreal how powerful it is and the suspension set up is crazy. 120KM/HR is fast!
Any belt problems and do you need to upgrade the clutch? This is the unit I’ve decided to buy.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Any belt problems and do you need to upgrade the clutch? This is the unit I’ve decided to buy.
None what so ever, only issues I’ve had have been my fault. Hit a rock and broke the power steering. Easy fix tho.

You can get a brand new teryx for under 20g with three year warranty. That’s what sold me on them. I bought the Limited edition model and put a lot of extras into it for about 25g
Old 03-13-2019, 08:39 AM

What's your budget? We can talk about the latest and greatest but if you're looking at a $5,000 used machine off Kijiji there's really no point.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENINC View Post
What's your budget? We can talk about the latest and greatest but if you're looking at a $5,000 used machine off Kijiji there's really no point.

10-12k but obviously the lower the better
Old 03-13-2019, 09:18 AM

First decide if you want a sport or utility model
Second no off brands (cf moto) or arctic cat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2019, 09:48 AM

I have a Honda pioneer 700-4.
Not the fastest or smoothest. But reliable as the day is long.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:06 AM

I have had the Rzr , the Ranger, both mid size and full size and the Yamaha Rhino. they were all good machines and reliable . I now have a Honda P500 and it seems to be pretty good although I haven't put many kms on it yet . It can be had brand new from within your budget though . Not the fastest machine out there but fun to drive with the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Honda has a good rep for reliability.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:11 AM

Where are you in the province? I have a CanAm Maverick I could let you try if you are around GP.
Ton's of power and a real sweet ride as well.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:18 AM

I'm running the 18 Ranger 1000. Might be out of budget but its got tons of power, will haul anything and comfortable for hunting in all weather.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
First decide if you want a sport or utility model
Second no off brands (cf moto) or arctic cat

Arctic cat would not be considered an “off” brand.

I own a teryx4 and it’s built like a tank. If you need 4 seats this is the best 4 seat option in your budget.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon444 View Post

I own a teryx4 and it’s built like a tank. If you need 4 seats this is the best 4 seat option in your budget.
Hence the "or".
Old 03-13-2019, 11:04 AM

Make sure you are looking at the right SXS for the application. Sport vs utility, What is the primary purpose, hunting , fishing, trapping, plowing on the farm 85%, pure sport 15%, probably wont be happy with a RZR type SXS more suitable would be the Ranger style. But the other way 85% sport vs utility the RZR type SXS is top notch you wont be happy with a Ranger type( used RZR as an example, each manufacturer builds sport vs utility, don't start typing RZR are junk)
you have to look at each, Yamaha may have leg room issues if you are a bigger person for example. if you budget can afford it go to a core manufacturer , Polaris AC or Yamaha they each have build pretty solid machines. it becomes personal preference and somewhat dealer preference.
I am a Polaris guy as my experience with them have been excellent for many years both snow and ATV, Friends and Family have had good Yamaha experiences and of course Honda but as I age I could not handle the ride, but they have improved a bit the last couple years to become a market contender.

Last edited by kritz; 03-13-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:09 AM

I’ve got 13 thousand Kms on a Yamaha Rhino trouble free except for constantly having to change wheel bearings. Honda will be my next purchase.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon444 View Post

Correct. And as I said. Not offbrands OR arctic cat

Old 03-14-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
Correct. And as I said. Not offbrands OR arctic cat
Lol. Agreed. I’d go one step farther though and say I’d take my chances with any off-brand before buying another Arctic Cat... You may get lucky with an off-brand but every Arctic Cat I’ve been around, whether quad or sxs has had its issues.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:53 AM

My buddy had a tyrex with 31” tires. Thing was a tank and went anywhere, can’t remeber what was done to it but it wasn’t stock. It also blew a belt every time we’re out too. Even the warranty covered belts stating they won’t break. That kawi was a piece of junk in my mind, pulled that thing off talleys and out of ravines all the time. Always decided to blow when we’re were in a ravine or bottom of a hill.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:10 PM

What do you plan of doing with the unit? I've had a Ranger but am now in a Japanese mini truck with a small lift and quad tires.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:23 PM

I asked the same question few years ago after I totalled my Honda Rubicon 500. I wanted to have a SS and went with Honda Pioneer 500. The reason I got 500 is that it is 50" and it will fit on the back of my Tundra without any trouble. Also, most of the trails allow maximum of 50" and you can take it on them.

I have pulled whole moose and elk with this Pioneer 500 and had zero trouble.
I am extremely very happy with it and I used it for hunting and fun with kids. Lots of fun with reliability.

Later they come out with 700 and 1000 also. They are even better but for my purpose, they were too big as I don't want to haul them in a trailer. If you are in Edmonton, you are welcome and try it.

Good luck
Old 03-13-2019, 08:28 PM

Awesome to see guys offering test drives. Big thumbs up boys! A SxS is a big investment.