Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2018, 04:29 PM

Default I Guess I Sounded Delicious

I went out to my usual spot on Tuesday for likely the last time this season as there haven't been many animals around, pretty disappointed, plus my moose decoy was still there. Check my camera and there were a couple good sized WT bucks on the camera, one had a drop tine, but no action and head home intending Wednesday will be the last day.

Wed 5:45 AM I get to the trail head, fresh snow, so I walk up the outline 3 KM and nary a track. Crap. Walk back to the meadow, set up decoy, make a cow call. Go back to sit spot. Coffee. Shiver a bit. 45 min later, wander out to decoy make another cow call. Scan the meadow and I can hear something crunching through the snow from the SW corner, coming quick. Crap why did i leave my bow at sit spot.... and....a wolf appears. Then two more, one with the first one, the other moving to the left. Now three more show, two groups of three. One on left is about 70 yards away, right is 50. Now I really wish I had my bow as they are focused intently on me....or least the decoy, which is slathered in cow urine, with me right behind it. I start back to get my bow, looking over my shoulder, they watch for about 10 seconds and off they went.

Cool experience for sure and as a side note about their population levels, my uncle has hunted this area since 1989 and he never saw a single wolf in that time.

Managed to get pic of the closer group below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sept 19 2018.jpg (82.1 KB, 1174 views)