Canada’s Outdoor Outfitters Wholesale Sports

Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-13-2017, 01:28 PM
ResidentSpokesman ResidentSpokesman is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 177
Default "My Spot"

Had a very interesting encounter with a guy this morning. Parked my truck at 5:30 am at the only public access to 3 1/4s of awesome Crown land. Hiked in, set up, called two different bulls in (shooter and a rag) and walked back out. Didn't see or hear any sign of another guy anywhere in the area. A couple hours later a greasy looking little guy pulls into camp screaming about how "I ruined his hunt". Managed to decipher through his obscene rant that he owns a 1/4 that borders the Crown. He had walked in from his yard apparently and unbeknownst to me I had got between him and a bugling bull. This guy screamed for ten minutes about "******* ethics" and then tells me "stay out of my spot or I'll call the fish cops".

How in depth does he expect a person to get when checking for other hunters prior to walking in? Should I rent a chopper and scan it all with thermal imaging first?

He has spent the last four hours screaming up and down the lease road we're camped on, making dust and firing an SKS or something steady. Rcmp don't care, Fish and Wildlife will be another couple days before they call back most likely.

This stuff gets worse every year
__________________
My mom said I could be anything I want. So I decided to be a jerk.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-13-2017, 01:32 PM
blueice123's Avatar
blueice123 blueice123 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 156
Default




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-13-2017, 01:36 PM
angery jonn angery jonn is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 380
Default

if your hunting crown land, I would tell him to pound sand and then kindly give him the F & W phone number.
__________________
Friends don't let friends buy Labs!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-13-2017, 01:43 PM
cohod cohod is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 744
Default

Sounds like a real winner...Better set up some trail cams around your camp, you will likely have a visitor while you'er out hunting...

Cohod
__________________
A Facebook group dedicated to the Canadian upland hunter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CanadianUplandHunting/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-13-2017, 01:46 PM
250mark1 250mark1 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 42
Default

we had an incident like this 2 years ago but with out the yelling and ranting
my friend walked across the road from his parents farm and was laying in a combine rut in wheat field that we have permission to hunt.
When a guy came up and set up in the trees behind him in a position that would be shooting at or over my friend. i got the text and had to leave my stand to warn the other hunter as he had no idea there was a person out there. and really he did nothing wrong ( he also had permission from the land owner). From that day on we always make sure to park a vehicle at the entrance to the fields we hunt to make people think twice at least that there is other hunters in the fields

you did nothing wrong if it is crown land you were on how are you to know there is someone else in the area with no vehicle parked
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-13-2017, 03:22 PM
beaver hunter's Avatar
beaver hunter beaver hunter is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,196
Default

What wmu?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Dennisg Dennisg is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 203
Default

Carry the app IHunter on your phone and check your position where you're hunting, maybe you did step into his land. At the end of the day if the CO shows up you'll end up getting charge with trespassing.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-13-2017, 04:03 PM
Kristopher10 Kristopher10 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisg View Post
Carry the app IHunter on your phone and check your position where you're hunting, maybe you did step into his land. At the end of the day if the CO shows up you'll end up getting charge with trespassing.
Just guessing, but it sounds more to me like the landowner may have been hunting the crown land (or near it) thinking he owns it as well.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Dennisg Dennisg is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher10 View Post
Just guessing, but it sounds more to me like the landowner may have been hunting the crown land (or near it) thinking he owns it as well.
We don't know the true story, but if the guy is yelling he will call a fish and wildlife I'm sure he is very confident or just bluffing. But anyway its better to check where you are.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-13-2017, 06:05 PM
Positrac's Avatar
Positrac Positrac is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Fort McMurray
Posts: 875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisg View Post
We don't know the true story, but if the guy is yelling he will call a fish and wildlife I'm sure he is very confident or just bluffing. But anyway its better to check where you are.

Maybe he was just the village idiot.

What makes you think the OP didn't know exactly where he was? Sounds to me like he had a pretty good idea.
__________________
You can't take anything too seriously in a world where nobody uses their real name.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 PM
Battle Rat Battle Rat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisg View Post
We don't know the true story, but if the guy is yelling he will call a fish and wildlife I'm sure he is very confident or just bluffing. But anyway its better to check where you are.
Sounds like an fn guide that was trying to bluff him.
I've run into that kind testing me to see if I could be buffaloed about who owned the land we were standing on.
Probably deserved some shots fired in anger.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-13-2017, 07:56 PM
BeaverJim BeaverJim is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 27
Default my spot

very good chance ur dealing with the village idiot good luck
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-13-2017, 08:12 PM
Peebles Peebles is offline
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisg View Post
We don't know the true story, but if the guy is yelling he will call a fish and wildlife I'm sure he is very confident or just bluffing.
I've also been sued every time someone threatened to sue me.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-13-2017, 11:09 PM
kujoseto kujoseto is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,263
Default

His reckless behaviour may be interfering with a lawful hunt. You may want to call the fish and wildlife office for him
__________________
AHEIA and NASP instructor
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-14-2017, 01:11 AM
ResidentSpokesman ResidentSpokesman is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 177
Default

I knew EXACTLY where I was. He walked into the Crown from his own land. He openly admitted that it's Crown land several times on video.

What this was, was an effort to try and intimidate me / us from hunting 3 1/4s of raw Crown because it's "his spot".

What's unfortunate is that had the little greaseball showed up and had some class / manners, he would have had a plate of breakfast, coffee & Baileys, a friendly chat and left with a handshake and a couple less guys ever hunting "his spot" again.

Even if he would have realized 1/2 way through his hissy fit that maybe I'm not such a bad guy after all and apologized he probably could have salvaged it.

Instead, now he has a camp full of hunters who couldn't care less about "his spot". We probably would have even just let it go if he would have stormed off and left it at that. Instead he spent in excess of 70 minutes (the first time) flying up and down a mile long, 2 track lease road doing 80+ and firing his stupid SKS off. We collected 207 7.62X39 brass today off the road. The road is literally less than 3 feet from my trailer (very limited camping around here). And there are 3 kids under 10 in our camp. Then he came back and did it all over again for even longer. Then he came back a third time).

Despite 3 calls to the rcmp and solid video evidence (face, name & license plate) of him clearly shooting his gun in the air while driving his truck, nobody came out to put a stop to this. (15 whole minutes away from the detachment).

Once F&W gets through with the dozens of calls about this idiots brethren hopefully they show up and discuss some firearms offences.

Not sure if the guy was drunk, high or just plain stupid. I tend to lean towards the latter. Who in their right mind pulls something like this on 5 large grown men by yourself? Seems like a good way not to make it home that day if you pull the wrong guys chain....
__________________
My mom said I could be anything I want. So I decided to be a jerk.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-14-2017, 01:20 AM
ResidentSpokesman ResidentSpokesman is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Sounds like an fn guide that was trying to bluff him.
I've run into that kind testing me to see if I could be buffaloed about who owned the land we were standing on.
Probably deserved some shots fired in anger.
180 degrees the other way in reality actually.

Not sure what you're trying to encourage with "shots fired in anger" but it's certainly not something anyone with any sense would involve a firearm in
__________________
My mom said I could be anything I want. So I decided to be a jerk.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-14-2017, 04:55 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 9,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentSpokesman View Post
I knew EXACTLY where I was. He walked into the Crown from his own land. He openly admitted that it's Crown land several times on video.

What this was, was an effort to try and intimidate me / us from hunting 3 1/4s of raw Crown because it's "his spot".

What's unfortunate is that had the little greaseball showed up and had some class / manners, he would have had a plate of breakfast, coffee & Baileys, a friendly chat and left with a handshake and a couple less guys ever hunting "his spot" again.

Even if he would have realized 1/2 way through his hissy fit that maybe I'm not such a bad guy after all and apologized he probably could have salvaged it.



Instead, now he has a camp full of hunters who couldn't care less about "his spot". We probably would have even just let it go if he would have stormed off and left it at that. Instead he spent in excess of 70 minutes (the first time) flying up and down a mile long, 2 track lease road doing 80+ and firing his stupid SKS off. We collected 207 7.62X39 brass today off the road. The road is literally less than 3 feet from my trailer (very limited camping around here). And there are 3 kids under 10 in our camp. Then he came back and did it all over again for even longer. Then he came back a third time).

Despite 3 calls to the rcmp and solid video evidence (face, name & license plate) of him clearly shooting his gun in the air while driving his truck, nobody came out to put a stop to this. (15 whole minutes away from the detachment).

Once F&W gets through with the dozens of calls about this idiots brethren hopefully they show up and discuss some firearms offences.

Not sure if the guy was drunk, high or just plain stupid. I tend to lean towards the latter. Who in their right mind pulls something like this on 5 large grown men by yourself? Seems like a good way not to make it home that day if you pull the wrong guys chain....

Play the dam video...looks like a good laugh...come on we are waiting...
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-14-2017, 05:37 AM
DiabeticKripple's Avatar
DiabeticKripple DiabeticKripple is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Red Deer / Calgary
Posts: 4,479
Default

if its crown land tell him to pound sand, you didnt know he was there.

if im on crown, and i dont see any trucks, you can bet ill hunt there. if there is a truck ill move on.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-14-2017, 08:38 AM
waterninja waterninja is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: edmonton
Posts: 11,363
Default

Oh well. In the city or out in the bush you will always run into someone that is upset about something. Just the way it is.
Good luck on the rest of your hunt.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-14-2017, 08:44 AM
HIGHLANDER HUNTING HIGHLANDER HUNTING is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 171
Default police involvement

Sounds like the police need to visit this guy. It might be a pain in the butt, but I'd keep calling the rcmp until you get results.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-14-2017, 10:50 AM
Positrac's Avatar
Positrac Positrac is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Fort McMurray
Posts: 875
Default

Best thing you could do is tell everyone on here the gps coordinates to these 3 1/4's of Crown Land.

If he didn't like 5 guys hunting it he for sure won't like 500. Payback's a bitch!
__________________
You can't take anything too seriously in a world where nobody uses their real name.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-14-2017, 11:19 AM
Passthru's Avatar
Passthru Passthru is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 523
Default

Sounds like he's used to things going the way he wants. Even if that means trying to bully somebody into doing what he wants. What happen to having a nice chat with a guy? Would love to see the video
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-14-2017, 11:53 AM
ResidentSpokesman ResidentSpokesman is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Best thing you could do is tell everyone on here the gps coordinates to these 3 1/4's of Crown Land.

If he didn't like 5 guys hunting it he for sure won't like 500. Payback's a bitch!
That is SORELY tempting.......
__________________
My mom said I could be anything I want. So I decided to be a jerk.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:40 PM
calgarychef calgarychef is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,261
Default

If it's on video show the cops, shooting out of the window of a vehicle? He might lose his guns over that one.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-15-2017, 10:23 AM
diamonddave's Avatar
diamonddave diamonddave is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rocky Mtn Hse
Posts: 2,997
Default

The video should be some good popcorn material!!
Post it up!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-15-2017, 10:46 AM
3blade's Avatar
3blade 3blade is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,146
Default

Wow, this dude is obviously off his rocker. RCMP passing on a chance to lay firearms charges though? 15 minutes away from a detachment? That's weird.

either we will be seeing one of the best/worst videos in AO history, or I smell black dodge dually exhaust from his trips up and down the road

__________________
DEER!!! No...nope. Hay bale.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-15-2017, 11:00 AM
HappyHunter9 HappyHunter9 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 15
Default

So sorry to hear about your experience.

Its a CRIME to harass or prevent someone from lawfully hunting, under s. 47 of the Wildlife Act.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-15-2017, 11:00 AM
diamonddave's Avatar
diamonddave diamonddave is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rocky Mtn Hse
Posts: 2,997
Default

Pretty sure we will never see said video......
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-15-2017, 07:10 PM
ResidentSpokesman ResidentSpokesman is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 177
Default

Not something I ever see myself posting on the internet.

Still no call back from Fish & Wildlife
__________________
My mom said I could be anything I want. So I decided to be a jerk.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-15-2017, 07:29 PM
heretohunt's Avatar
heretohunt heretohunt is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentSpokesman View Post
Not something I ever see myself posting on the internet.

Still no call back from Fish & Wildlife
If everything you say is legitimate probably would have been better off to call 911. That is dangerous use of a firearm, shooting from a vehicle etc! (Crime in progress)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.