Canada’s Outdoor Outfitters Wholesale Sports

Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 09-06-2017, 12:17 PM
R3illy R3illy is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 342
Default

anyone know how closures affect sustenance hunting rights?
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 09-06-2017, 12:55 PM
glen1971 glen1971 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
So the closure is still in effect, or not? Confused by some of the information I am seeing.
If it is closed there are 'passes' available? I would assume this wouldn't apply to hunting, or could they?
Passes are for those that live within the effected closed areas, such as Castle Mountain Resort, and for those that need access for work. I don't think hunting would qualify. I'm not sure about trappers though.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 09-06-2017, 07:25 PM
landowner landowner is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 550
Default

Just came from a fire info meeting in Waterton , this fire is big and it's real ... nothing is going to stop it but rain , which isn't in the forecast. Winds are going to pick up in a few days , could easily spread into castle. . Big question is where in the castle . Depends on the wind. Government did the right thing shutting things down .
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 09-06-2017, 08:25 PM
Newview01 Newview01 is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
anyone know how closures affect sustenance hunting rights?
Is one group of people more likely to start fires than another group? I would say its fair to assume all flavours of people have sparks flying off their shoes.

Edit: except for the general public. But now they are back to the big cities, shut 'er down.
__________________
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest" - Thomas Paine

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 09-06-2017, 09:32 PM
landowner landowner is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Is one group of people more likely to start fires than another group? I would say its fair to assume all flavours of people have sparks flying off their shoes.

Edit: except for the general public. But now they are back to the big cities, shut 'er down.
It was shut down because the park discovered this fire was growing just last Saturday, took a huge jump Sunday, . Threatening the castle Monday. Time line is just a coincidence. I'm not a fan of the government , but this time they got it right , people's lives and homes are at stake . It's not about inconveniencing a few hunters.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 09-06-2017, 09:57 PM
ram crazy ram crazy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
It was shut down because the park discovered this fire was growing just last Saturday, took a huge jump Sunday, . Threatening the castle Monday.
Is that what they told you?
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 09-06-2017, 10:35 PM
landowner landowner is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 550
Default

That's what I know , I saw the smoke billow over the south end of the bow-crow , both Saturday and Sunday from my home , my home is in one of the possible paths this thing could take. The whole Castle park could go up in a few days . I guess you just don't get it how serious this is.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 09-06-2017, 10:36 PM
landowner landowner is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 550
Default

And yes , that's what parks told us today.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 09-07-2017, 05:51 AM
ram crazy ram crazy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
That's what I know , I saw the smoke billow over the south end of the bow-crow , both Saturday and Sunday from my home , my home is in one of the possible paths this thing could take. The whole Castle park could go up in a few days . I guess you just don't get it how serious this is.
Oh I get how serious it is, it's just the CO's made it sound like it was already in the south Castle when in reality it wasn't. As long as the winds don't get crazy it will have a tough time burning over the rocks on the tops of the mountains. That's all a guy can pray for is no strong winds.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 09-07-2017, 06:07 AM
Newview01 Newview01 is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
It was shut down because the park discovered this fire was growing just last Saturday, took a huge jump Sunday, . Threatening the castle Monday. Time line is just a coincidence. I'm not a fan of the government , but this time they got it right , people's lives and homes are at stake . It's not about inconveniencing a few hunters.
What fire is growing north of the #3 to justify shutting that whole area down after the general public is done using it?
__________________
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest" - Thomas Paine

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 09-07-2017, 06:14 AM
KBF's Avatar
KBF KBF is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WMU 108
Posts: 1,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
What fire is growing north of the #3 to justify shutting that whole area down after the general public is done using it?
I'd say it's still in everyone's best interest that it's closed. Gripe all we want about it being a big conspiracy to keep the hunters out, it is what it is. Closed. Have to hope for some major wet weather changes soon and for the whole winter.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 09-07-2017, 07:36 AM
Newview01 Newview01 is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
I'd say it's still in everyone's best interest that it's closed. Gripe all we want about it being a big conspiracy to keep the hunters out, it is what it is. Closed. Have to hope for some major wet weather changes soon and for the whole winter.
Therein lies the problem. You have capitulated. The situation is not notably worse than before the long weekend which arguably would have been the most risky period of the season.

I don't see it as being up for debate. They could have closed it Friday or Saturday and eliminated a lot of risk. They had all the signs made already. To me it is pretty clear that they did not want to risk the fallout of banning the general public. Just my opinion.

Edit - I do understand that closing the area down to everyone cuts a lot of risk, but the fact that they are targeting a specific user group is what makes me call BS.
__________________
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest" - Thomas Paine

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 09-07-2017, 07:46 AM
buschy03 buschy03 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
It was shut down because the park discovered this fire was growing just last Saturday, took a huge jump Sunday, . Threatening the castle Monday. Time line is just a coincidence. I'm not a fan of the government , but this time they got it right , people's lives and homes are at stake . It's not about inconveniencing a few hunters.
Totally agree, shut it down, stay out of there,, its only a hunting season boys, not the end of the world good god, there will be next year, and year after, oh yeah,,, for the ones who got draws, suck it up, it's the game we play, too damn bad,, oh yeah,, I am guessing there is no big conspiracy also regarding user groups,,,, get back to work and quit bitching....
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 09-07-2017, 08:03 AM
chuck's Avatar
chuck chuck is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy03 View Post
Totally agree, shut it down, stay out of there,, its only a hunting season boys, not the end of the world good god, there will be next year, and year after, oh yeah,,, for the ones who got draws, suck it up, it's the game we play, too damn bad,, oh yeah,, I am guessing there is no big conspiracy also regarding user groups,,,, get back to work and quit bitching....
I'm guessing you don't hunt here or have any draws for here. Laughing.
__________________
"All rifle mechanisms are not the same when it comes to reliability in the field."
-Bob F.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 09-07-2017, 08:39 AM
buschy03 buschy03 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I'm guessing you don't hunt here or have any draws for here. Laughing.
Well Chuck,, been hunting down south for many years,,,it's still going be there tomorrow I am guessing...
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 09-07-2017, 08:42 AM
Suzukisam Suzukisam is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 273
Default

I am guessing those complaining don't have homes or personal investments in the area. It sucks but it is not the end of life as we know it. Bitching about it only helps convince private land owners that yup hunters are arsholes and more will not give permission. Give them some sympathy for what is happening and they may reward us in long run. Out here on prairies knock on one hundred farms you get run off on 10. And 70 say no. Ten say F off Four say someone else has it first and if your lucky one says yes. So has hunters we should stand by the people that live in these area's and do our part with great pride and give a little sacrifice not always take take take. So you lose your $3 draw app it's not the end of your world.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 09-07-2017, 08:47 AM
Full Curl Earl Full Curl Earl is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern Alberta
Posts: 1,247
Default Few fires

There are very few fires in the province right now, there's lots of hands and resourves to fight fires, the sky isn't falling, its just a fire doing what it does.
Our society is becoming real soft lately.
You know how many deaths occur daily on Alberta's roads? If your interested in saving lives and keeping people safe, ban liquor and vehicles, not people walking through the forest.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 09-07-2017, 08:47 AM
tbrown tbrown is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 28
Default

^^^^ x2 - agreeing with post 106
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 09-07-2017, 08:55 AM
Joe Black Joe Black is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 332
Default

RE quote 106.. yes. suck it up. especially those guys that have burned a 16 priority to get a moose draw in 308, (lowest was 10).

so no its not just the 3$ draw. join in any time your're ready.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 09-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Suzukisam Suzukisam is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 273
Default

Hey it's hunting. No promise that you would get your animal weather you are priority 1 or 100. **** happens that are unforeseen. My lotto no's have not hit but I don't cry about it. You could break a leg before open season crap happens. Spend your time asking them seeing as it's closed to reset your priority rather then try push a rope. **** the gov't off for selling you something you can't use and join to make them give you a refund. Most of us hunting is a privilege not a right.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 09-07-2017, 09:34 AM
Full Curl Earl Full Curl Earl is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern Alberta
Posts: 1,247
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Hey it's hunting. No promise that you would get your animal weather you are priority 1 or 100. **** happens that are unforeseen. My lotto no's have not hit but I don't cry about it. You could break a leg before open season crap happens. Spend your time asking them seeing as it's closed to reset your priority rather then try push a rope. **** the gov't off for selling you something you can't use and join to make them give you a refund. Most of us hunting is a privilege not a right.
You seem to be quite angry about the whole thing, lol. You've written damn near a page about how hunters are selfish. I've not seen or read a single selfish thing written on here by a hunter. No shortage of insulting comments for hunters though. Damn, you'd almost think this forumn is the anti hunter site.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 09-07-2017, 09:39 AM
ram crazy ram crazy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
I am guessing those complaining don't have homes or personal investments in the area. It sucks but it is not the end of life as we know it. Bitching about it only helps convince private land owners that yup hunters are arsholes and more will not give permission. Give them some sympathy for what is happening and they may reward us in long run. Out here on prairies knock on one hundred farms you get run off on 10. And 70 say no. Ten say F off Four say someone else has it first and if your lucky one says yes. So has hunters we should stand by the people that live in these area's and do our part with great pride and give a little sacrifice not always take take take. So you lose your $3 draw app it's not the end of your world.

You bet I have a personal investment in the area and what does private land owners do with forestry. I really feel for the 5 guys that drew the once in a life time goat tag.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 09-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Suzukisam Suzukisam is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 273
Default

Nothing said against hunters. Not angry but you seem to hate drivers and alcohol lol just respect fire bans and closures they are there for reasons that we may not all understand
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 09-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Full Curl Earl Full Curl Earl is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern Alberta
Posts: 1,247
Default well

Well, you have an awful lot of faith in the Alberta Government, must be the great track record. Anti hunter sentiment is tough to take when your a good steward of the land, not poaching, having bon fires, shooting up road signs etc and getting grief for what the bad ones do. A pro active government who cares about its voters would offer up a tag surrender program with point returns to alleviate phone calls to stressed land owners, resulting in decreased activity in high risk areas. Closures are still not jiving with the ministers orders from Sept 4, and there have been no official changes, yet other areas are being closed by local offices... how that for communication!

http://www.wildfire.alberta.ca/wildf...Sep04-2017.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 09-07-2017, 10:54 AM
wildbill wildbill is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gods Country
Posts: 1,132
Default

100% agree with this fire ban down in this south west here, all it would take is on poorly extinguished cigarette but, high winds and there goes the country side. I'm working down at the plant, the mood is ominous, I've never seen it this dry ever down here in my whole life. Everyone's preparing for the worst, I think it will all boil down to the wind. I pray for the people down here, it's in mother natures hands now.
__________________
"Can't teach a stupid dog tricks"
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 09-07-2017, 10:56 AM
chuck's Avatar
chuck chuck is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy03 View Post
Well Chuck,, been hunting down south for many years,,,it's still going be there tomorrow I am guessing...
So no. That's what I thought
__________________
"All rifle mechanisms are not the same when it comes to reliability in the field."
-Bob F.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 09-07-2017, 11:05 AM
Albertadiver's Avatar
Albertadiver Albertadiver is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 8,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
"Targeting" is the right word. Good pun.

If it was for all users, why close it after the long weekend? If it is such an urgent situation, do as south eastern BC did, and close BEFORE the long weekend to truely keep " all recreational users" out. Nope, let's give our granola crunching hikers/supporters the long weekend to enjoy public land, then stick it to the hunters/fishers. Nice.
I was out in the cataract creek area on Sunday/Monday of the long weekend. The road guys were putting up the roadblocks on the forestry roads and we came out on the north end of chain lakes to a roadblock.

It was drier than a popcorn fart in there. I'm disappointed that my hunting area is closed, but it's like sitting on a powder keg out there. In my opinion, these should have been closed for the long weekend. Too many idiots throwing smokes out the window etc.

One question i have, does SLS still have authority to do logging in these areas? If so, I'd think they're a bigger hazard than hunters walking around on foot.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 09-07-2017, 11:13 AM
chuck's Avatar
chuck chuck is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,921
Default

I'm sure the government will step up to the plate and reissue all draw tags for next year.
__________________
"All rifle mechanisms are not the same when it comes to reliability in the field."
-Bob F.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 09-07-2017, 11:31 AM
muirsy muirsy is online now
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I was out in the cataract creek area on Sunday/Monday of the long weekend. The road guys were putting up the roadblocks on the forestry roads and we came out on the north end of chain lakes to a roadblock.

It was drier than a popcorn fart in there. I'm disappointed that my hunting area is closed, but it's like sitting on a powder keg out there. In my opinion, these should have been closed for the long weekend. Too many idiots throwing smokes out the window etc.

One question i have, does SLS still have authority to do logging in these areas? If so, I'd think they're a bigger hazard than hunters walking around on foot.
Do you know if 404 is still accessible from the 40 (walking in)

Planning on heading out there this weekend

J
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 09-07-2017, 11:34 AM
waterninja waterninja is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: edmonton
Posts: 11,448
Default

Pretty funny how some posters think this is some sort of conspiracy against hunters. Thats laughable. This ban effects everyone , not just hunters.
I do feel for somone who has wasted 10-13 years of priority points to get a tag this year. Talk about chit timing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.