Canada’s Outdoor Outfitters Wholesale Sports

Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-06-2017, 10:16 PM
Camdec Camdec is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 195
Default Success calling wolves?

Wondering if anybody has any advice on calling wolves. Rabbit distress vs coyote vocals vs wolf howls? Was calling coyotes the other day when I ran into wolf tracks and wouldn't you know they were very close by and started howling. No more than 500 yds. Tried a few different distress calls with no luck. They just stayed put in the bush a periodically howled. I never did try coyote vocals. Thought of it later that evening that I maybe should have gave it a go as I understand the don't like yotes.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-06-2017, 10:46 PM
Ranch11 Ranch11 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,053
Default

Coyote howl will work. They hate coyotes. Wolf howl is better. If they answer, moose calf or some sort of big game distress call. Keep calling, howling, eventually they mess up and you'll kill em. Just keep on em, let them make the first and last mistake.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-2017, 08:21 AM
NCC NCC is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Leslieville
Posts: 1,140
Default

I had a similar situation once and the pack hung up at about 300 yards and one came in alone down wind of me.

A coyote decoy would help I think. Twice I have had wolves charge my dogs immediately upon spotting them.

If you get wolves to come and you shoot one, hold tight and wait. Often the rest of the pack will come back. I've got 3 doubles this way and a friend of mine shot 5 in one setting.
__________________
We talk so much about leaving a better planet to our kids, that we forget to leave better kids to our planet.

Gerry Burnie
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Taiga Taiga is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 11
Default

In my experience, wolves are very very easy to call in - just howl. Your voice is fine, does not need to be perfect. They are territorial they will come right in, often at a run. Coyotes I have only had success with distress calls, and I have called in a lot. But I read about people calling in coyotes so I think depends on the area, and time of year.

The hard part with wolves is finding them because they travel so far and need to be close enough to hear you call. If you get onto fresh sign you will certainly have them come in. Day old sign could mean they are many miles away. There is nothing more exciting having a big dog or a pack of them running towards you!

You may or may not get a response to your howl right away. Sometimes they will respond from a long ways a way and keep howling as they get closer, sometimes they will run in silently and only call when they are close and trying to figure out what you are! Getting into prime time for predator hunting in another week or two.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-07-2017, 10:32 AM
Taiga Taiga is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I had a similar situation once and the pack hung up at about 300 yards and one came in alone down wind of me.

A coyote decoy would help I think. Twice I have had wolves charge my dogs immediately upon spotting them.

If you get wolves to come and you shoot one, hold tight and wait. Often the rest of the pack will come back. I've got 3 doubles this way and a friend of mine shot 5 in one setting.

Getting 5 in one sitting is absolutely phenomenal, very impressive!
I have never tried it, but I was thinking of taking my dog with me this afternoon and tieing him to a tree a little ways away. He is a big dog with a good bark and should really pull them. I bet they would go nuts if they saw him (and smell him).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Speckle55's Avatar
Speckle55 Speckle55 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hinton
Posts: 5,767
Default

they knew you were there / winded you

set up in a different spot close and watch your wind

here is how I call them in
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=230820

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=231443

good luck and keep at it sometime's it take a few set up's



David


Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
Wondering if anybody has any advice on calling wolves. Rabbit distress vs coyote vocals vs wolf howls? Was calling coyotes the other day when I ran into wolf tracks and wouldn't you know they were very close by and started howling. No more than 500 yds. Tried a few different distress calls with no luck. They just stayed put in the bush a periodically howled. I never did try coyote vocals. Thought of it later that evening that I maybe should have gave it a go as I understand the don't like yotes.
__________________
Scientific and Analytical Angler/Hunter
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-07-2017, 12:13 PM
FinnDawg FinnDawg is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Calgary
Posts: 254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Getting 5 in one sitting is absolutely phenomenal, very impressive!
I have never tried it, but I was thinking of taking my dog with me this afternoon and tieing him to a tree a little ways away. He is a big dog with a good bark and should really pull them. I bet they would go nuts if they saw him (and smell him).
Is this legal?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Torkdiesel's Avatar
Torkdiesel Torkdiesel is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North of the Kakwa
Posts: 3,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
In my experience, wolves are very very easy to call in - just howl. Your voice is fine, does not need to be perfect. They are territorial they will come right in, often at a run. Coyotes I have only had success with distress calls, and I have called in a lot. But I read about people calling in coyotes so I think depends on the area, and time of year.

The hard part with wolves is finding them because they travel so far and need to be close enough to hear you call. If you get onto fresh sign you will certainly have them come in. Day old sign could mean they are many miles away. There is nothing more exciting having a big dog or a pack of them running towards you!

You may or may not get a response to your howl right away. Sometimes they will respond from a long ways a way and keep howling as they get closer, sometimes they will run in silently and only call when they are close and trying to figure out what you are! Getting into prime time for predator hunting in another week or two.
You should post a picture of some of the wolves you've called in and shot. Everybody likes seeing wolves 😊
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-07-2017, 01:16 PM
shakeyleg02's Avatar
shakeyleg02 shakeyleg02 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: southern alberta
Posts: 2,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
Is this legal?
Think they call that baiting but baiting is usually done are with dead critters
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-07-2017, 02:45 PM
warriorboy10 warriorboy10 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Campbelltown
Posts: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
Coyote howl will work. They hate coyotes. Wolf howl is better. If they answer, moose calf or some sort of big game distress call. Keep calling, howling, eventually they mess up and you'll kill em. Just keep on em, let them make the first and last mistake.
Thought using a big game (moose or deer) distress call wasn't legal??
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-07-2017, 02:56 PM
Musk e Musk e is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Thought using a big game (moose or deer) distress call wasn't legal??
Never heard that one before?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-07-2017, 02:59 PM
obsessed1 obsessed1 is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: North of Grande Prairie
Posts: 482
Default

Only illegal on an e-caller. mouth blown calls are good to go
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-07-2017, 04:22 PM
MHW MHW is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 22
Default wolf howling

Several times I've had howling wolves respond to my howls. Great experience.
Deer hunting a couple of yrs. ago west of Rocky, I howled in 2 wolves within 200 yds. Since I only shoot what I eat, I just enjoyed the show.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Rio56 Rio56 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHW View Post
Several times I've had howling wolves respond to my howls. Great experience.
Deer hunting a couple of yrs. ago west of Rocky, I howled in 2 wolves within 200 yds. Since I only shoot what I eat, I just enjoyed the show.
the wolves eat what you do .. deer .. next time I hope you shoot ....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-07-2017, 06:43 PM
BuckCuller's Avatar
BuckCuller BuckCuller is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 894
Default Wolf Call

Ive had responses to wolf howls.
I've called wolves with rabbit distress.
Cow elk calls work great too especially around a body of water like a frozen river.
Be mindful of Cats depending on where you are. They are quiet.
__________________
As long as there is lead in the air there is always hope.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-12-2017, 06:14 PM
Natek Natek is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 49
Default e-calls

Does someone have a link to where it says in the reqs (cant access the page where im at right now) that big game (moose, elk, deer) is illegal to use for predators? the way I read it, it was only illegal to use the call for big game hunting but legal for predators.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-13-2017, 04:29 PM
bcalberta bcalberta is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Default General Regulations

It is unlawful to

set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting any wildlife:

recorded wildlife calls or sounds, or an electronically operated calling device except; 1) when hunting migratory game birds with the use of calls or sounds that mimic snow geese, or 2) using electronic calls to hunt crows, magpies, coyote, red fox and wolf (using sounds that mimic these animals, rabbits, hares, or rodents).
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-13-2017, 07:07 PM
bcalberta bcalberta is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Default

A little off topic, can someone clarify the wolf season. The regs say; "...from the opening of ANY big game season in a particular WMU..."

Does this include big game owning to archery? And if so, is rifle hunting of wolves allowed?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-13-2017, 08:25 PM
bcalberta bcalberta is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalberta View Post
A little off topic, can someone clarify the wolf season. The regs say; "...from the opening of ANY big game season in a particular WMU..."

Does this include big game owning to archery? And if so, is rifle hunting of wolves allowed?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That should read; "Does this include big game opening to archery?"....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.