Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-01-2019, 04:13 PM

Default Spotting Scope recommendations

I've never own one before but I think I need one, just not sure which one or if my expectations are realistic.

Main duties - Range work, seeing bullet holes/groupings at longer distances (now) and field work, scouting/hunting (near future).

Criteria/expectations, if you are recommending another option.

- Under $2000 dollars
- 65mm Objective or smaller
- Packable/lighter weight
- See bullet holes or impact on painted steel at 300, 400, 500 yards.

Considering these two spotters, but open to other suggestions.

Leupold GR 12-40x60mm HD, 37oz
Kowa TSN-554, 15-45x50mm, 28 oz

Will these two work for my needs? Thoughts/experience with either of these two models?
Old 12-01-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
I've never own one before but I think I need one, just not sure which one or if my expectations are realistic.

Main duties - Range work, seeing bullet holes/groupings at longer distances (now) and field work, scouting/hunting (near future).

Criteria/expectations, if you are recommending another option.

- Under $2000 dollars
- 65mm Objective or smaller
- Packable/lighter weight
- See bullet holes or impact on painted steel at 300, 400, 500 yards.

Considering these two spotters, but open to other suggestions.

Leupold GR 12-40x60mm HD, 37oz
Kowa TSN-554, 15-45x50mm, 28 oz

Will these two work for my needs? Thoughts/experience with either of these two models?
Kowa is one of the least known , but best quality spotting scopes among shooters. I have the TSN 883 which I chose over the 80mmHD Swarovski. Pelee Wings is a great place to shop Kowa. As to bullet holes at 500 yards, that depends on the color of the target, the size of the bullet holes, and the lighting conditions.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:03 PM

I haven't looked at the leupold spotters but I have looked through several Kowas, and they are great.

As far as hits on steel at 500 goes, if the gong was not painted recently it is pretty hard to see any hits on them unless you are using thee spotter for thee shooter and paying particular attention to thee target.
Cat
Old 12-01-2019, 08:20 PM

Default Spotting Scope recommendations

I cannot comment much on your two options, other than say that you are comparing apples to oranges. A 60mm vs 50mm scope, one with max 60x and the other is 45x.

I have heard great things about the Kowa you have listed. I have used a Kowa 664 for the last 7 years and absolutely love it. Great performance for price. Used for mountain hunting, prairie hunting, and range work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
I cannot comment much on your two options, other than say that you are comparing apples to oranges. A 60mm vs 50mm scope, one with max 60x and the other is 45x.

I have heard great things about the Kowa you have listed. I have used a Kowa 664 for the last 7 years and absolutely love it. Great performance for price. Used for mountain hunting, prairie hunting, and range work.

One is 45x the other 40x. I thought they were somewhat close, maybe not, but I don’t know much about scopes. I was basing it on price.

Anyways perhaps I’ll look at the entire Kowa line and check out the 664

Old 12-01-2019, 09:39 PM

I have the Leupold HD. It’s a great spotter and I’ve got no complaints.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
One is 45x the other 40x. I thought they were somewhat close, maybe not, but I don’t know much about scopes. I was basing it on price.

Anyways perhaps I’ll look at the entire Kowa line and check out the 664

Sorry Jay, I misread and had thought that the Leupold was a 20-60x 60mm scope.

I will say this with regards to the Leupold: I believe that a quality 60mm spotting scope is fully capable of 60 power viewing. Although I understand that field of view is improved with 12-40x eyepiece, I think that you are really limiting the scopes capability by going with a 12-40x.

Two scenarios where you will BEGGING for 60x are spotting bullet impact on paper at extended ranges, and judging legal sheep.

Some poor quality spotters (none of your options listed) have 20-60x, but anything past 30x is completely useless due to poor optical quality. Others (such as the Leupold 12-40x 60mm you have listed) could probably benefit from higher magnification without giving up too much image quality.

The Kowa you have listed strikes a good balance between magnification, lens size, and quality.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Sorry Jay, I misread and had thought that the Leupold was a 20-60x 60mm scope.

I will say this with regards to the Leupold: I believe that a quality 60mm spotting scope is fully capable of 60 power viewing. Although I understand that field of view is improved with 12-40x eyepiece, I think that you are really limiting the scopes capability by going with a 12-40x.

Two scenarios where you will BEGGING for 60x are spotting bullet impact on paper at extended ranges, and judging legal sheep.

Some poor quality spotters (none of your options listed) have 20-60x, but anything past 30x is completely useless due to poor optical quality. Others (such as the Leupold 12-40x 60mm you have listed) could probably benefit from higher magnification without giving up too much image quality.

The Kowa you have listed strikes a good balance between magnification, lens size, and quality.

No worries.

Called Pelee Wings today, had a great conversation with Heidi there, very knowledgeable. She pointed out some things re: scope that I didn't think of...glad I called. One of which is only 40x which you mentioned also.

I think I may be leaning towards a Kowa TSN-664 or Kowa TSN-773
Old 12-02-2019, 08:32 PM

Might be something here?
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...44#post4066844
Old 12-03-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post

Thanks. Saw that on Canadian Gun Nutz. There is a Razor HD on there that’s a decent price.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:29 AM
Banned

Pentax makes excellent spotting scope (have sold a number to AO members).
Though not well know in Canada but they are a huge name in the astronomical telescopes http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/engli...ope/index.html
There spotting scopes run $1000 to $1500 with eyepieces
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/engli...ope/index.html
You will find lots of review such as this https://rifletalk.org/2015/05/19/rev...potting-scope/
McBain's is a site sponsor...if interested PM me...AO members get a substantial discount.