Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-24-2019, 11:06 PM

Default Leica scopes

Howdy all,

Looked through a Leica Magnus scope today. Holy moly... Is there better glass at that price or at all? Really impressed. I mean really. I had never looked through Schmidt & Bender though.

Edit: “at that price” ain’t cheap at all, to clarify.

Last edited by fishnguy; 11-24-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:56 PM

Interested to know if anyone uses a Leica scope. What you like about it and what you don’t like?

Wonder why they aren’t as popular. Beside the price and warranty (I think it is only 10-year warranty) and perhaps being a bit on a heavy side, I thought it was a great scope.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:09 PM

I have a Leica on my primary hunting rifle, wouldn’t trade it for anything. Having looked through a s&b I think they do have advantages but glass quality isn’t one.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:14 PM

I have an older Leica ER 3.5-14 x 42mm on top of my Remington 700 in 7mm RM. It has the fine reticle and target turrets. Absolutely a fantastic bit of glass, just like their Geovids and any other they make that I have looked through. Superb optics, very reliable, and customer service is first rate. I lost an eye cup off my binos in the field, called and told them what happened, wanted to buy one but they sent me two for free. Superb.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-26-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I have an older Leica ER 3.5-14 x 42mm on top of my Remington 700 in 7mm RM. It has the fine reticle and target turrets. Absolutely a fantastic bit of glass, just like their Geovids and any other they make that I have looked through. Superb optics, very reliable, and customer service is first rate. I lost an eye cup off my binos in the field, called and told them what happened, wanted to buy one but they sent me two for free. Superb.
I had the same one the turrets worked backward although the arrow printed on the scope said turn it the same way. I could only get 13 Moa of elevation when it was mounted or about 45 moa end to end it wouldn’t get me to 500 metres. I still have the 2.5x10 great glass not confusing turrets
Old 11-26-2019, 10:05 AM

Default Many

European scope use the same companies lenses Shott.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I was really impressed, then started looking at what people have to say about them and there isn’t much compared to Swarovski Nightforce, Zeiss, etc.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:53 AM

I have 3 Leica scopes, I was sold the minute I looked through one. My guess is that since they simply aren't available to look through at retailers in western Canada, enough people haven'r had the chance to actually compare them to what they think is good glass?

For me at least, they are optically the best scope available, and the build quality is through the roof compared to Swarovski z3 or z5 scopes. I love the high contrast, vibrant image that Leica delivers, eye relief is good, turrets are good. Excellent hunting scopes.