Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-30-2019, 05:12 PM

Default copper fouling, question.

we have been reloading accubonds and partitions for almost ever. but it seems all the hunting shows love berger. better bc, and better performance short and long range, so they say. with accubonds having copper moly coating, and bergers are copper. do the bergers create more problems with copper fouling, and do more damage to barrels?? thanks
Old 11-30-2019, 05:19 PM

Neither Bergers, nor Accubonds have pure copper jackets, and most of the coated Accubonds use Lubalox coating, which is not moly. Pure copper jackets generally do foul more than gilding metal. As for performance, the Accubpnds and Partitions both perform better when heavy bone is struck, especially at higher impact velocities.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-30-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:57 PM

thanks for reply. and clarifying the coating. i heard it was moly. wasnt sure . i didnt know about berger coating , what is it?
and im happy with the accubonds. but bc rating is higher on berger. and id like to shoot long range since im starting to aquire the gear. i read, accubonds are more appropriate for under 500 yards and ab long range is better suited for beyond 500 yards. so they werent a really all around bullet , mayber bergers are similar too tho. i dont know. thats why im inquiring i guess.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:00 PM

duplicate

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-30-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:02 PM

Berger does not moly coat bullets at the present time.

https://bergerbullets.com/faq-items/...-coat-bullets/
Old 11-30-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Berger does not moly coat bullets at the present time.

https://bergerbullets.com/faq-items/...-coat-bullets/
thanks. ive been on their site. and have never ran across that.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:44 AM

Don't expect Berger bullets to perform well one game at shorter ranges...remember many of the hunting shows are really just infomercials for whatever brand is sponsoring the show.
Accubond is a premium game bullet, designed for deep penetration. As its name suggests it has a heavy tapered jacket bonded to a lead core.
Berger bullets are cup and core, designed mainly for high b.c. and target accuracy, which typically means thin jackets, and the core is most definitely not bonded.

My experience with 7mm 168 gr Bergers: spectacular kills on broadside lung shots, shoulder shots a real mess. Accubonds tend to kill a bit slower and often will be pass throughs, but have no problem breaking bone and still penetrating.

To be fair, I don't have any experience with either much past 450 yds.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:11 AM

thanks for response. my dad is the reloader for our family for years. bleeds nosler. im just watchin all this youtube stuff where guys are shooting a mile, and im fascinated. ive known nosler is great for expansion. and my game has never gotten away. bullet pass thru, like u mention. for sure. it happens almost all the time for me. u mentioned the sponsors. 100 percent agree. its just hard to ignore the higher bc and and people like applied ballistics backing the berger brand.
im on the quest for dialing in equipment for long range, just wanted opinions here, make sure i didnt get into wrong brand.
moa rifle , put a different spin on perspective on the berger bullet i hadnt considered before. i dont remember the game he shot . but the bullet fragmented, and was like shrapnel in the game. 3 pieces or so. i always thought this was a bad thing and signs of poor quality. probably is. but his spin was that animal absorbed all the energy, which is why animal dropped. rather than having big caliber passing thru. animal doesnt absorb all the bullets energy. thanks
Old 12-01-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneop View Post
thanks for response. my dad is the reloader for our family for years. bleeds nosler. im just watchin all this youtube stuff where guys are shooting a mile, and im fascinated. ive known nosler is great for expansion. and my game has never gotten away. bullet pass thru, like u mention. for sure. it happens almost all the time for me. u mentioned the sponsors. 100 percent agree. its just hard to ignore the higher bc and and people like applied ballistics backing the berger brand.
im on the quest for dialing in equipment for long range, just wanted opinions here, make sure i didnt get into wrong brand.
moa rifle , put a different spin on perspective on the berger bullet i hadnt considered before. i dont remember the game he shot . but the bullet fragmented, and was like shrapnel in the game. 3 pieces or so. i always thought this was a bad thing and signs of poor quality. probably is. but his spin was that animal absorbed all the energy, which is why animal dropped. rather than having big caliber passing thru. animal doesnt absorb all the bullets energy. thanks
Don't get sidetracked with the energy kills theory, the animals die because of blood loss . Yes a larger wound channel results in more blood loss, but if the bullet blows up on a shoulder, and doesn't make it to the vitals, the wound may result in a lost animal. I choose a bullet that will perform in the worst case scenario, because you don't always get the perfect broadside. The previous poster is correct, the long range hunting programs are nothing more than infomercials, designed to sell the sponsor's products, so of course they are going to make their sponsor's products appear to be superior.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:12 AM

Thumbs up

thanks
Old 12-01-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Don't get sidetracked with the energy kills theory, the animals die because of blood loss . Yes a larger wound channel results in more blood loss, but if the bullet blows up on a shoulder, and doesn't make it to the vitals, the wound may result in a lost animal. I choose a bullet that will perform in the worst case scenario, because you don't always get the perfect broadside. The previous poster is correct, the long range hunting programs are nothing more than infomercials, designed to sell the sponsor's products, so of course they are going to make their sponsor's products appear to be superior.
. Energy definitely kills. You ever hear of hydrostatic shock? central nervous system? If we go by your theory, we'd all be shooting FMJ bullets. If your bullet blows up on a shoulder you are using too light of a bullet for that animal. That's it. The "long range program" mentioned, Applied Ballistics, is the most scientifically based shooting program in the world. This isn't an infomercial. Litz uses berger because of their superiority in the long range game. They also kill. Berger developed their 'target' bullet just for that, extreme accuracy and performance on paper at long ranges. It was these competition shooters who also hunted that started trying them on animals. Mainly elk at first. It was these well trained shooters who explained to berger that their bullets are fine hunting bullets. I would caution the use of berger bullets for guys who cant shoot very well, who have trouble making first round hits due to poor equipment, and/or don't wait for the right moment to take a shot. An Animal that drops on the spot is much prefered to an animal that runs but leaves a good blood trail. Better meat quality overall. Fortunately, berger bullets are mostly reserved to the reloaders and they have more time behind the gun and know what they are capable of.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
. Energy definitely kills. You ever hear of hydrostatic shock? central nervous system? If we go by your theory, we'd all be shooting FMJ bullets. If your bullet blows up on a shoulder you are using too light of a bullet for that animal. That's it. The "long range program" mentioned, Applied Ballistics, is the most scientifically based shooting program in the world. This isn't an infomercial. Litz uses berger because of their superiority in the long range game. They also kill. Berger developed their 'target' bullet just for that, extreme accuracy and performance on paper at long ranges. It was these competition shooters who also hunted that started trying them on animals. Mainly elk at first. It was these well trained shooters who explained to berger that their bullets are fine hunting bullets. I would caution the use of berger bullets for guys who cant shoot very well, who have trouble making first round hits due to poor equipment, and/or don't wait for the right moment to take a shot. An Animal that drops on the spot is much prefered to an animal that runs but leaves a good blood trail. Better meat quality overall. Fortunately, berger bullets are mostly reserved to the reloaders and they have more time behind the gun and know what they are capable of.
How can you not understand how an expanding bullet making a larger wound channel, greatly increases the rate of blood loss? FMJ bullets make small wound channels, which results in far slower blood loss, which is why they aren't legal for use on big game in Alberta. I can only assume that you simply can't comprehend how bullet construction is more important than bullet weight, or you wouldn't be spouting such nonsense about bullet weight. As for Berger bullets mostly being reserved for handloaders, that is total B.S., there are multiple companies providing factory loads using Berger bullets, to sell to the gullible people that watch too much Wild TV. I personally stood a few feet from one of those people that had a heavy barreled rifle, with a Huskemaw scope, with turrets for multiple temperatures, and his HSM ammunition with Berger bullets , as he plopped prone to shoot a moose at 50 yards. When he lay prone to use his bipod, he couldn't see the moose, because of the slope. I offered him my trigger sticks tripod, but he refused, and the moose ran off. Later that day we were again 50 yards from another moose, and four shots later, the moose finally fell 500 yards later, a few feet from making it to the trees. I watched another person sight in his new Huskemaw scope with his HSM loads with Berger bullets, do a 25 yard sight in then declare to his friend that he was food to 800 yards. His friend asked why he didn't confirm the point of impact at longer distances, and he replied ' why waste more expensive ammunition , I have used the ballistic calculator to calculate the trajectory to 800 yards". I watched two other people with their Huskemaw scopes and Berger loads, and wind meters walk shots into clays at 500 meters, because their calculations didn't put them on target. Far too many try to replace trigger time with specialized gear.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:25 PM

Default Oh ya

Quote:
How can you not understand how an expanding bullet making a larger wound channel, greatly increases the rate of blood loss? FMJ bullets make small wound channels, which results in far slower blood loss, which is why they aren't legal for use on big game in Alberta. I can only assume that you simply can't comprehend how bullet construction is more important than bullet weight, or you wouldn't be spouting such nonsense about bullet weight. As for Berger bullets mostly being reserved for handloaders, that is total B.S., there are multiple companies providing factory loads using Berger bullets, to sell to the gullible people that watch too much Wild TV. I personally stood a few feet from one of those people that had a heavy barreled rifle, with a Huskemaw scope, with turrets for multiple temperatures, and his HSM ammunition with Berger bullets , as he plopped prone to shoot a moose at 50 yards. When he lay prone to use his bipod, he couldn't see the moose, because of the slope. I offered him my trigger sticks tripod, but he refused, and the moose ran off. Later that day we were again 50 yards from another moose, and four shots later, the moose finally fell 500 yards later, a few feet from making it to the trees. I watched another person sight in his new Huskemaw scope with his HSM loads with Berger bullets, do a 25 yard sight in then declare to his friend that he was food to 800 yards. His friend asked why he didn't confirm the point of impact at longer distances, and he replied ' why waste more expensive ammunition , I have used the ballistic calculator to calculate the trajectory to 800 yards". I watched two other people with their Huskemaw scopes and Berger loads, and wind meters walk shots into clays at 500 meters, because their calculations didn't put them on target. Far too many try to replace trigger time with specialized gear.
aint that the truth---Might want to have them use a bow for a couple of seasons--Improve there stalking skills.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:35 PM

I've been running Berger's for hunting in my 7 RM and 300 WM for years now and from 80 yards to just under 1000 they have been deadly. I only ever shoot deer and coyotes. This year shot a sleeping buck at 200 yards bullet did what it was supposed to, punched through the first inch and then "grenade" if you will, no exit wound.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:48 PM

no big deal ona coyote if it makes a mess. ha. dies it ruin alot of deer meat?
Old 12-10-2019, 07:14 PM

No, all depends where you hit them. Depending what you hit on the coyote it can be punch a pretty big hole.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:00 PM

k thanks