Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Banned

Default Scope mounting 101....as per WSS

I don't know how to put this more delicately, but nevertheless this cannot go unpublished for the shear humour factor, perhaps sad, I don't know .... you be the judge. Long story short, my good buddy asked me to break-in a new barrel on his Marlin (not the Youtube method that Cat posted). The rifle had been left with the "gunsmith" at WSS Calgary. It was picked up in the case and not inspected. I removed the gun from the case when preparing to break in the barrel. This is what I found.....I swear to God and on my children's head that this is NOT a photoshop, nor did I alter the gun for the giggle factor, this is how it came back from mounting at WSS...........you better swallow that coffee first:

Old 09-01-2010, 04:12 PM

Well ya gotta admit the FOV would be tremendous!
Old 09-01-2010, 04:14 PM

it was set up that way for the behnd the back shot
Old 09-01-2010, 04:14 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Well ya gotta admit the FOV would be tremendous!
Ya but the eye relief would suck....lol

Yikes!
Old 09-01-2010, 04:17 PM

Love it when I see a post like the original one here that makes me think "Man, even I'm not that stupid!"

Happens so rarely....
Old 09-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

If you look closely, the hammer extension is on the left. Me thinks the "smith" musta been thinking it's for a backwards shooter.....
Old 09-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
If you look closely, the hammer extension is on the left. Me thinks the "smith" musta been thinking it's for a backwards shooter.....
LOL!!!!...might have some guys PO'd calling the guy a "smith"...that's why I'll stick with the small shops......and , no they're not any more money...if you consider everything...LOL
Old 09-01-2010, 04:33 PM

Think WSS needs to institute drug and alcohol testing... I'm serious. Anyone with even a passing familiarity with firearms (like seen a few on TV) couldn't make that mistake. That pic needs to go straight to management.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Think WSS needs to institute drug and alcohol testing... I'm serious. Anyone with even a passing familiarity with firearms (like seen a few on TV) couldn't make that mistake. That pic needs to go straight to management.
thinking the rifle should go straight to management...no doubt there was a cost included??
Old 09-01-2010, 04:47 PM

That's how I mount scopes for my hunting partners....
Old 09-01-2010, 04:47 PM

Did they boresight it?
Old 09-01-2010, 04:51 PM

OMG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

That's how I mount scopes for my hunting partners....
WB, I think you might be on to something here!
I hope Sheephunter and Brownbear416 need some scopes mounted soon.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 09-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
I couldn't agree with you more Oky. As funny as we all think this is, and I admit that I got a chuckle out of it, in reality it's pretty darned scary. These are the same people that I've heard giving advise on caliber choices, scopes firearms etc. Now, given the information that I was provided with, the guy who mounted it is one that they keep in the back room 'cause he looks like he sleeps in his vehicle in the parking lot. I'm sure you all know who I refer to.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
OMG!

WB, I think you might be on to something here!
I hope Sheephunter and Brownbear416 need some scopes mounted soon.
I can see Sheephunter mounting a scope for Sheepguide in this fashion, or vice versa. But, I somehow feel that neither would let the other touch their firearm. Actually, I don't think either would stoop that low.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:39 PM

Just let me know when you need a scope job and I know the guy..
Old 09-01-2010, 05:43 PM

What are you or your buddy going to do? I would go to the manager on this!
WSS needs to get there heads out of there asses. WSS in Edmonton employees people that are either too young or too old ....no offence to anyone here but crap I go into WSS asking about a product ....ill know the name and price I may just want to see the product and they will look at me like I have three heads....These people are no different than my grandfather they know what a gun is and that a .308 or 30-06 is a good caliber but they are too old to stay informed and quite honestly are too old to care. It's fustrating that WSS cheaps out on there wages so these are the only people they can hire....its time they wake up and realize that a few good men behind the gun counter are of great value.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:47 PM

I took one in once to get bore sighted. When I aimed it at a target it seemed off level. Upon inspection I found they never even tightened the scope mounts and the scope went where it wanted. I could have took it back, but seeing the quality of the work I figured I was better off not letting them anywhere near it after that.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
What are you or your buddy going to do? I would go to the manager on this!
WSS needs to get there heads out of there asses. WSS in Edmonton employees people that are either too young or too old ....no offence to anyone here but crap I go into WSS asking about a product ....ill know the name and price I may just want to see the product and they will look at me like I have three heads....These people are no different than my grandfather they know what a gun is and that a .308 or 30-06 is a good caliber but they are too old to stay informed and quite honestly are too old to care. It's fustrating that WSS cheaps out on there wages so these are the only people they can hire....its time they wake up and realize that a few good men behind the gun counter are of great value.
And what would be the point of that? The guy who mounted the scope has been employed by WSS longer than the manager...and I know that for a fact. Aside from the giggle factor, I hope that no one else ever trust these clowns with any firearm concerns or purchases. On the other hand though, I'd love to go with a print-out of this pic and take a number at the line up....but like I said earlier, I do have better things to do like reload for the Warner match and upcoming hunting season.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
Just let me know when you need a scope job and I know the guy..
Did you say "job"..........I'm outta here
Old 09-01-2010, 06:31 PM

Is that one of those new European scopes. Wow!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:49 PM

Wow...I don't know what else to say
Old 09-01-2010, 10:04 PM

I don't know Gitrdun, I think there is more to this story.

I would wager either:

a) Your buddy mounted it and had no idea and was too embarrassed to say he did it,

b) Your buddy did something (during the sale) to annoy said employee and he thought he would get a little revenge on the customer,

c) Said employee had just been fired and thought he would get a little revenge on WSS,

or

d) Somebody needs to lay of the meth pipe while taking their lunch break.

No one is EVER handed their rifle back IN THE CASE without it being inspected, they are ALWAYS (in Lethbridge anyway) shown the rifle and asked if the eye relief, etc. is correct, before it is put back in its case.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
I don't know Gitrdun, I think there is more to this story.

I would wager either:

a) Your buddy mounted it and had no idea and was too embarrassed to say he did it,

b) Your buddy did something (during the sale) to annoy said employee and he thought he would get a little revenge on the customer,

c) Said employee had just been fired and thought he would get a little revenge on WSS,

or

d) Somebody needs to lay of the meth pipe while taking their lunch break.

No one is EVER handed their rifle back IN THE CASE without it being inspected, they are ALWAYS (in Lethbridge anyway) shown the rifle and asked if the eye relief, etc. is correct, before it is put back in its case.
Absolutely no way Pudel. First let me tell you that before I posted this on AO, I would have my facts straight, OK. There was no tempering with this firearm before I took it into my own hands. So you can take a hike with your suggestions as to wrong doing etc. I, nor does my friend derive any benefit from bantering WSS as a bunch of clowns with the handling of any firearms whatsoever. And furthermore, to make the record straight for the likes of you and others....YES, I am not only suggesting but implying that WSS employees whether they call themselves "gunsmiths" or not... should not be trusted with the fitting of ANY accessories to their firearms. In fact, I will go on to say that you aught not to take any advise from the bozos behind the counter in no way shape of form. As a matter of fact, same goes with the bozzos at Bass Pro Shop..........what?, you want to challenge this?, let's go for a trip!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:35 PM

HAHAHAHA.....too funny!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 PM

That's pretty crazy gitrdun....I can't begin to imagine the incompetence of somebody, to do that. I know at the WSS here, there are several guys working at the gun counter that I completely trust, they really know their stuff. And then some that I will let carry my ammo to the front counter for me.

I always mount scopes and boresight myself though, it's just way too personal getting the eye relief and everything the way I like.

I'd send that to the manager, he needs to know that there are people handling firearms in his store that should be working the take out window at Wendy's....at best.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Banned

Ok, so I was gonna be nice about this, but now the gloves are off. There's this grossly overweight dude they call "uncle Bob" . He's appears to be the knome at the web site where you can ask "uncle Bob" questions. To me, buddy that comes out of the dark corners of WSS looks more like a dude that sleeps in the back of a station wagon in the WSS parking lot, an uncanny resemblemce to a BC pig farmer. Anyhow, I don't know his name for sure, but he crawls out of the dungeon to mount your scopes, determine you warranty claims, etc.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted canuck View Post
That's pretty crazy gitrdun....I can't begin to imagine the incompetence of somebody, to do that. I know at the WSS here, there are several guys working at the gun counter that I completely trust, they really know their stuff. And then some that I will let carry my ammo to the front counter for me.

I always mount scopes and boresight myself though, it's just way too personal getting the eye relief and everything the way I like.

I'd send that to the manager, he needs to know that there are people handling firearms in his store that should be working the take out window at Wendy's....at best.
Yes, agreed that it is crazy. I know a couple of stand up guys at the counter myself. Surely they will be embarrased or properly deny such a ...... what do you call this?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Banned

To you guys who can't believe your eyes and tell me that there may be more to the story. NO THERE ISN'T. I SWEAR AND GIVE YOU MY WORD THAT THERES IS NOT. That is the way the gun came back from scope mounting at Wholesale Sports in Calgary, Alberta.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Actually GIT...the hammer extension should be on the left for a right handed shooter. If you think about it when you have the rifle mounted, where is your thumb?? It is over the grip on the left side right next to......the hammer extension. Instead of moving your thumb up and over to the right side to draw the hammer back and then moving back to the left side where it started, before you shoot, ..you just raise your thumb and draw the hammer instead of moving it back and forth. Sometimes, though, the Occular of the scope does get in the way using the extension on the left side, so.....then back to the right side.

Give it a try on one of your lever guns that doesn't have a scope mounted. I think you'll like it.

Now I'll just sit back and wait for folks to tell me why I'm wrong...
Old 09-02-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
To you guys who can't believe your eyes and tell me that there may be more to the story. NO THERE ISN'T. I SWEAR AND GIVE YOU MY WORD THAT THERES IS NOT. That is the way the gun came back from scope mounting at Wholesale Sports in Calgary, Alberta.
Actually Gitr, there might be. Come to think of it there are a couple of central questions we haven't even asked.

1. What was the gun at WSS for? You didn't say specifically. Is the scope new and their mount? They put on the new barrel?

2. What is your friend's reaction to all this? You say you don't have time to complain to WSS. I get that. You shouldn't; it's not your gun. What is your buddy doing about it?

3. Are you absolutely sure your buddy isn't just pulling a practical joke on you, with WSS help?
Closed Thread