Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2008, 08:03 PM

Default Authorization to Transport?

Hi guys.... you may have figured it out by now.... I'm ordering a handgun. Had my restricted PAL for a few years now, but never bought anything, basically because of all the paperwork that comes with it. Bad memories from the Old Country keep haunting me....

So I finally got round to sending in an order, and now I'm looking at this Authorization to Transport... this might be worse than the old country! Do I really need to specify times of transportation, to and from locations, etc.? Jeez.... even in The Netherlands we were granted permission to transport it anywhere legal (all ranges, police stations, dealers, gun smiths).

Could one get away with "any time of day", "daily", and "any range in Alberta, BC and Saskatchewan", or something equally generic?

Frans
Old 04-28-2008, 08:19 PM

...yes, you can get a blanket ATT for all of Alberta to approved ranges.
I just got my first handgun and had to go through all of this. The CFOs in Edmonton were really helpful. I have a friend who has Ab,Sk, and Mb and is trying for a Canada wide for competitions he enters.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:10 PM

Are you a member of a gun club? Gonna have to be to get your ATT approval!
With a membership, they will give you 24 hr, blanket approval to and from any club/gunsmith/border/etc in Ab.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:19 PM

Nope, not a member.... see my other thread.... looking for a club/range where I could shoot both rifles up to 300 meter, and handguns. But I guess if that doesn't exist around Calgary, I guess I will need to join a club for the handgun, eh? Funny how club membership is not a requirement by law though... (unless I'm missinformed).

Frans
Old 04-28-2008, 09:26 PM

You are not misinformed at all - it is not req'd by law, just being forced upon us by the almighty CFO
Heres the club I belong to - about 1 hr north of Calgary
http://www.mvmarksmans.com/
I think the rifle range is only 200m though
heres a list of others you could try
http://www.nfa.ca/component/option,c...rt,0/search,*/
Old 04-28-2008, 09:31 PM

Club membership is not a legal requirement, but then you won't get an ATT, unless you are moving or transporting to a gunsmith.

To get the broadest permit, you need to be a range member in Alberta, then request an Alberta wide ATT for 3 years, for other club invitationals. Last time I applied, they only gave it until my PAL expiration date, but 3 years used to be possible.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:45 PM

That's the Olds range, right? Living in Cochrane, Olds or Sibbald are the two that come to mind, Sibbald is a bit closer, but not that much.

Frans
Old 04-28-2008, 10:02 PM

There's a good 'letter to the editor' on this subject in the newest Canadian Firearms Journal - received today - that you get with your N.F.A. membership.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
To get the broadest permit, you need to be a range member in Alberta, then request an Alberta wide ATT for 3 years, for other club invitationals. Last time I applied, they only gave it until my PAL expiration date, but 3 years used to be possible.
My last open ended ATT and my current one(just renewed) have been for 5 years each. Cant remember how long the one before those was for...
Old 04-29-2008, 02:54 AM

Frans, don't bother filling out the forms. It's actually simple to get the long term ATT once your a club member. If you call the CFO (1 800 731-4000 ext 9073 I believe), tell them you need your ATT and they will complete one for you. You can even usually get them to fax a copy to you within a few hours. As far as I know the "standard" ATT in Alberta is good for all authorized shooting ranges and gunsmiths.