Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2008, 10:34 PM

Default Garmin Nuvi GPS

Anyone own one of these ?
Saw a model 200, and 250 in Crappy tire today.
Look to have the color screen of the "C" series.
but appear to be a street system only,
Do they have suburb mapping ?

TBark
Old 04-27-2008, 07:05 AM
Gone Hunting

I have a 350, good product. Yes the entire grid road system (township and range roads) are there. Some errors of course but pretty good. No topographic if that is what you were thinking about.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:42 AM

The Nuvis are built for city navigation applications so the downfalls are: can't see a map based waypoint except if you're zoomed right in; your position is always locked (BS'd) to the road; the built-in battey is good for 3-5 hrs only; they are nowhere close to water proof.
Upside: excellent screen size, brightness, touch screen and fast processor; SD card slot for Topo or other maps; will work in your pocket (sirf III GPS engine); the 750 and up have a track; can take it on NAmerican holidays and still find a gas station/restaurant right out of the box.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Gone Hunting

Default gps

I have had one for about 6 months. Bought it at Costco after seeing a buddy's last fall. It has worked well for me. I bought it for the urban application and it has saved me tons of time and irritation. I enter the addy I want and drive. i can watch the traffic instead of street signs. "Yes Dear "
loves it since she hates being "Da Navigator"

I went on a road trip with my brother yesterday to Diefenbaker Lake. Took his truck and my GPS. By the end of the day he was sold on it. He'll be shopping for one this week.

I'm looking for a Garmin CSX. Another buddy had one when we were hunting last fall. Two words ......SLICK! Topo maps that we used were good.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-27-2008, 03:54 PM

Thanks guys,
I wonder if the model 200 or 250 would be worth picking up,
or if a guy should go for a higher model, 350 + ?

TBark
Old 04-27-2008, 05:20 PM

My suggestion would be go for the higher end GPS. Higher end ones have better proccessor and better antenna for good receptions along with more features. I have 680 and it has tons of features like gas prices at different pumps, movies time/date on theathers, weather, stocks, etc etc etc......

My most favorite features are the bluetooth for hands free calling and I can download topo maps too.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:22 PM

use one for work and its great, you can save all your favourit hunting spots just dont lend it to a buddy lol and you can get upgrade chips for different areas, we have all the back roads for our hunting areas and i believe you can get the wmu outlines aswell
Old 04-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Banned

I just got a Nuvi 200 for work and love it so far. The group purchased OilTrax software and its wonderful. Can punch in Legal Land Locations and boom off you go.

So far no problems getting to where I need to go and I am in Northwest Alberta. Great little rig. Small on memory but with being able to use the SD disk it isn't a problem.

Really like it. One short coming is that it doesn't list fuel and food in smaller towns. Just the cities.

I would recommend the unit.