Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2008, 03:28 PM

Default Polaris Sportman:Carb vs EFI

i was at the Polaris dealership today and WOW they have some amazing prices.Saving about $2000 off the MSRP...ie. 2008 Sportman 500EFI-$9700 selling for $7900. included was a winch 2500# i'm sure

Is there a bid difference between carb vs EFI?
I'm looking at getting a Sportsman H.O. 500 carb sells for $7000
Sportsman EFI 500 sells for $7900

Is it worth it to spend the extra $900 and buy the EFI?If so why
Old 04-26-2008, 03:57 PM

Default Fuel injection is huge

My brother has a 700 with a carb and mine is fuel injected 800. November 2006 was -26 when we broke our camp. Neither bike had ran for 3 or 4 days. My bike started up almost instantly, his started but it took many tries before it started. The honda guys (all carbed)not so lucky, we loaded their bikes onto the trailer by hand.

Rob
Old 04-26-2008, 04:36 PM

the guy told me that with carb it will start in cold weather but idle rough until it warms up....So is that the difference for $900
Old 04-26-2008, 04:40 PM

For what it is worth when I was researching for a quad a few dealers suggested keeping it simple.....ie manual shift, carb etc.. Good advice or not? Who am I to say, but that was feedback from a few people.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:06 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
My bike started up almost instantly, his started but it took many tries before it started. The honda guys (all carbed)not so lucky, we loaded their bikes onto the trailer by hand.
My own honda starts right up in cold weather if I use the primer.If you don't use the primer it takes a lot of cranking.The surprising thing is that some people that own Honda atvs aren't even aware that they have a primer since you need to remove a side cover to access them.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:01 AM

I'm with Rob. If given the option go with fuel injection. I don't have a quad but in the automotive industry fuel injection solved some serious flaws of the carb engine.

Choking or priming an engine is basically controlled flooding and causes a small degree of piston wash. Piston wash removes the lube from the cylinder walls and rings causing premature wear.

An improper fuel mix at start causes gumming of the plugs and build up on the valves leading to higher maintenance costs and poor performance.

Rough idling at start and warm up is the result of improper fuel mixture. The mixture is generally too rich meaning incomplete combustion and unwanted damage to the environment as well as wasted fuel.

The life of a car/truck engine has nearly doubled since the intro of EFI. Most new cars don't call for plug replacement or tune up until 160K or more.

For out and out musle the carb is still king, but the average Joe is much better served with EFI.

Just my 2 cents
Old 04-27-2008, 04:04 PM

Spend the money and get the EFI, well worth it, the throttle response is better with the EFI and starting is hands down better. I have a Can-Am Outlander 800 with EFI and a Yamaha Grizzly 660 carbed and the Grizz will barely start in the winter, I have started the Outlander in -30 to plow snow and it fires up first try with one push of the button. My 2 cents.