Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Remember the crease

Rememer several years ago in the playoffs when they would be "going up stairs" to look at replays to see if the toe of a skate was in the crease when the puck went in the net?

So they changed the rules and now when the puck goes in the net there could be 2 or 4 players in the blue paint and depending on who pushed who, someone could be sitting on the goal tenders head.

Getting some "traffic" in front of the goalie now looks more like a "traffic accident"

So what is the point of the "crease", the "blue paint" anyway???

Robin in Rocky
Old 04-26-2008, 12:12 AM

I personally don't play hockey so this might be way off mark. But I assume that it is there still so the goalie knows how far they have come out of the crease to judge the amount of angle removed from a scoring opportunity, also they can follow play without looking back to check position.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Banned

Try and be a defender and put your hand on the puck in the crease...

Thats one reason its there.

Jamie
Old 04-26-2008, 03:14 AM

LOL good one jamie
how about being a dman and knowing exactly where it's okay to lay the lumber on the back of a guys leg or right on top of his laces LOL
Old 04-26-2008, 09:29 AM

i believe after the initial shot you can be in the crease...changed from a few years ago where you couldn't be in it at all...
Old 04-26-2008, 09:47 AM

lets be honest...In the regular season you don't see half as much crease crashing.This is what makes me hate the playoffs.I can see when the puck is in the crease area and guys get into it but everytime there's a whistle the guys gotta start crap.It slows the game down,makes it alot longer.

For the crease the blue paint it there to keep guys outta ther but when the puck goes there it's a free for all.Sucks but what can you do.
So my question is if that's the rule....When the goalie leaves his net how come he isn't a free for all?Same principle

Puck in crease....free for all
Goalie leaves net to play puck...not allowed to be touched,Oh ya and can interfere just enough not to get called for a penalty....PLAY YOU PAY
Old 04-26-2008, 09:49 AM
stubblejumper

Having a crease can decide whether icing is to be called.If the puck does not pass through the crease,the goaltender does not have to play it,if it passes through the crease icing can't be called.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:19 PM

The rules about the crease are here http://www.nhl.com/hockeyu/rulebook/rule78.html
and under the heading of protection of goaltender. I only glanced at it but I believe the crease itself is irrelevant unless there is contact or impediment with the goalie while in the crease. An opposing player can enter the crease whenever he likes providing he is not interfering with the goalie
Old 04-26-2008, 07:58 PM

Default nope

Stubblejumper, that rule no longer applies, hence the new shape of the crease a few years ago...lol
Old 04-26-2008, 09:29 PM

Get rid of that stupid 'Instigator' rule and be assured that EVERYONE would soon learn what the true 'rules of the crease' would be! As it stands now, the game is lacking in accountability.

Tree
Old 04-26-2008, 11:01 PM

agreed the instigator rule has given us the likes of rutu, tootoo and avery.....get rid of it.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
agreed the instigator rule has given us the likes of rutu, tootoo and avery.....get rid of it.
Whole lotta '2s' in there. Hopefully Mike Bossy isn't pizzed!

Tree
Old 04-27-2008, 08:12 AM

Not the place for this discussion, guys.
Thread locked!