Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2008, 08:59 AM

Default Conservation / Land Stewardship

I have been asked to do a little presentation for my daughters Grade 4 class on Conservation and "Taking care of our Province" as they worded it. I have it pretty much prepared but I wanted some input for fellow Outdoorsmen and Albertans. Some of the key questions i'd like feedback on are:

1). What do you do to take care of your favorite places in Alberta.

2). If there was one thing that you would want the next generation of Outdoors-people to know/do what would it be?

3). What do you feel the effects of Government and Special interest groups has been on the quality of life of Albertans and the Animals/lands they are supposed to protect.

As you can probably tell from the questions,(and anyone who actually knows me) this is not going to be a Pro-GreenPeace, Pro Tree-hugger kind of presentation, in fact the presentation paints fanatical environmentalists in a pretty dim light. My goal is to show and explain ways to have balance in usage, Balance in stewardship, and using common sense when caring for wildlife and lands.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Kevin
Old 04-10-2008, 09:28 AM

I'm not sure on your content, but a good arguement/reason for hunting is the fact that predators are driven out of settled ares and the deer are left to run wild. Without hunting, the only way nature can control the population is through winter kill and disease.

Also, there was a thread on this site regarding the mortality rate of upland game birds. The natural selection rate was surprisingly high, so the impact of hunting is very low.

I imagine you could get alot of literature and statistics from you local fish and wildlife, but you probably know that.

I try to stress to my children that we will leave minimal impact and haul all our garbage back out. I will even clean or haul other's garbage.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:07 PM

Kevin,

Could see if you could get some information for TJ as he came out this week to talk to Medicine Hat F & G about Stewardship projects. TJ would have great knowledge and be able to provide you with information that you are looking for.

Good luck
Old 04-10-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshowkev View Post
I have been asked to do a little presentation for my daughters Grade 4 class on Conservation and "Taking care of our Province" as they worded it. I have it pretty much prepared but I wanted some input for fellow Outdoorsmen and Albertans. Some of the key questions i'd like feedback on are:

1). What do you do to take care of your favorite places in Alberta.
i use them...plain and simple it is hard to protect what you don't love. the more i am out in the "wild places" the more i want them protected and or taken care of. i also donate time and money to reptable conservation organizations. i help with trail building crews, litter clean ups etc....and i always try to leave a space better than when i got there.
2). If there was one thing that you would want the next generation of Outdoors-people to know/do what would it be?
that conservation does not equal letting the earth run free. we are stewards of the planet and have a responsibility to manage and respect the land.

3). What do you feel the effects of Government and Special interest groups has been on the quality of life of Albertans and the Animals/lands they are supposed to protect.
i guess there is good and bad...depending on the group and the information we are given.
As you can probably tell from the questions,(and anyone who actually knows me) this is not going to be a Pro-GreenPeace, Pro Tree-hugger kind of presentation, in fact the presentation paints fanatical environmentalists in a pretty dim light. My goal is to show and explain ways to have balance in usage, Balance in stewardship, and using common sense when caring for wildlife and lands.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Kevin

sounds like an interesting project..good luck
Old 04-11-2008, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the input guys! This is coming together really well so far.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:15 AM

i would be interested in viewing it...if you could post it on a hosting site or something.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:55 AM

Sure It should be done by Monday. I am off to the hills to get some more pics today and Sunday and then should have it all compiled Late Sunday night.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshowkev View Post

Kevin
Well, remember, this is grade 4... one suggestion is to run your presentation by the teacher in advance. He/She can guide you as to how complex it should be, and can also help you tie it into other things they may have already studied, making it a better presentation.

As to casting organizations you don't like in a bad light, well, how much flack are you prepared to take? Some of their parents may not agree with your views. How would you feel about a parent coming in and making a PETA-like presentation and telling your kids how bad the AFGA is? I'd be careful, and leave politics out of it.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredeb View Post
I'm not sure on your content, but a good arguement/reason for hunting is the fact that predators are driven out of settled ares and the deer are left to run wild. Without hunting, the only way nature can control the population is through winter kill and disease.

Yeah.... but we hunt the predators too LOL
Old 04-17-2008, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the input guys. The presentation was an amazing success! I ended up with 90 mins of material touching on everything from conservation and land stewardship to discussions on places the students deemed special to them, to fish and wildlife found in Alberta. I found only a few things to improve upon if I ever do this presentation again, and was amazed and saddened by the lack of outdoor knowledge found in today's city kids. By the end of it I was glad to have volunteered my time and knowledge to the outdoors-people of tomorrow and only hope at the very least, they retain a small fraction of what they learned today as they grow up and start to explore our province and all its treasures.

Thanks

k
Old 04-17-2008, 07:52 PM

WTG slideshowkev

Yeah I 've done a few talks at schools, they are wonderfully eager about the outdoors, take lots of "hands on" things to pass around. I just sent a bunch of tanned hides with my Gr.5 daughter studing the fur trade, fur mittens, arrowheads, shed antlers ect. Gr.4 I say keep it simple and fun.
Be positive and let them ask the questions. All things in nature are re-newable and that we can be part of it.

Are you doing Powerpoint or talking? I and others here may have pics you might need ...just ask

...again good for you, they'll luv it..chain
Old 04-27-2008, 02:16 PM

Well I gotta say I had a lot of fun researching and delivering this presentation. Thanks for everyone's input and advice!

So what now?

I was thinking considering the time it took to put it all together I should do something with it. So I had a few ideas.
#1 post it online.. except I can't figure out where to host/link to a 10 mb power point. any suggestions?
#2 Offer to do the presentation again to anyone that wants to see it. (yeah I am one of those sick guys that actually enjoys public speaking)
#3 Save and improve on it for 2 years until my son is in grade 4!

There is alot of question and answer stuff and interactive/kid involvement that doesn't really show up when you just view it, and I had a ton of skulls, antlers, horns, rocks, and "stuff" that I don't really want to part with! But if any teachers, scout leaders, or F&G group leaders could make use of it i'd be open to sending them a copy (on CD) along with my notes and my cell phone #!!!