Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Banned

Smile Shocked At Wholesale

Im up here in Edmonton with work for a few weeks and I thought Id go check out Wholesale Sports as Ive been out of the Province for almost three years. WOW I actually got help and lots of it, and I was'nt dressed like a rich dummy that they used to flock around and ignore all us peasants, the guys behind the gun counter were helpful and one guy actually went out back without me having to ask and searched for about ten minutes for the stuff I needed to do my reloads, I couldnt believe it. Same thing in the fishing section, actually approached by staff and asked if I needed help, I thought I must have gotten knocked on the head. I wish that little blond gal that works in customer service would smile more, but whatever, shes nice to look at. Totally different experience than what I remember, but I did luck out with the guy that put my bow together for me a few years ago after I got back from Afghanistan, he did some strategic packaging placement and saved me a few bucks. Anyway what a difference, if anyone is wondering about my other Post(Gun Owners Protect Yourself) I am filing formal complaints against the mounties and Ill keep you posted, I cant wait to move back here this summer, deer season is gonna be sweet. OUT!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 PM

good to hear... hope they keep it up. I haven't been back there in a year or so. P&D actually give a S#!T
Old 04-01-2008, 10:36 PM

Its not anywhere close to the fall hunting season and its probably the slowest time of year for them.... thats why you got service... I hate that place for just that reason. It's the last place I go whe I need to buy something. ANd we wont even start about the Name "Wholesale" ROTFLMAO...
Old 04-01-2008, 11:10 PM

Stopped there last October on the way to our Moose hunt and that will be the last time I will ever grace there doors. I was planning on dropping over $1000.00 for a wall tent and airtight stove. I was treated like a second class citizen. Half way through the ordeal I said not to go any further and went to Campers Village. I thought that me being a hunter and a ATVer that it might be frowned upon a little at CV but it was far from it. They hauled the tent out and all the gear and helped us load it in the truck. Would WSS do that??
Old 04-01-2008, 11:57 PM

Default Wholesale Sports Mail Order

Wondering what Wholesale's Mail Order service is like.....???

Any stories, good or bad, from you guys....
Old 04-02-2008, 04:52 AM

I ordered from the mail order three times. Each time was good. The trick is to phone, don't order on-line. If you phone a live person , with the item nos. handy of what you want to buy, they can check stock availability for you. Also, when your'e done ordering, ask them to put a rush on your order. This makes the guys in the warehouse move a little faster. I ordered a rifle 5 days before christmas and had it on the 23rd. Also write down the persons name that you dealt with as it does come in handy later if your order wasn't right when it arrived.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:54 PM

Default mail order

twice I ordered rifles that were in stock at another wss store, I was told no problem exchanged visa# pal# told 10 days max about three weeks later told could not supply.same thing happened a week ago in Leth.wss told one rifle in cagary one in Edmonton 10 days max . now cannot supply.Why waste customers time Glad their sold maybe service will improve.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:09 PM

Default wholesale sports

Wholesale sports 10% off weekend before may long
Old 04-24-2008, 03:27 PM

The older bald guy working behind the fly fishing section at the Wholesale store in Edmonton is very good. He has treated me very well, and knows his stuff.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
The older bald guy working behind the fly fishing section at the Wholesale store in Edmonton is very good. He has treated me very well, and knows his stuff.
Yep same guy works behind the counter in the knife area , great guy full of good information , I went in there being a first time hunter wanting to go after goose with my bow , sure some will laugh but hey it was fun he told me how to clean them and remove the feathers.And for that I thanked him very much not to mention he gave me his personal number incase I needed any help with doing it.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:07 PM

heard UFA bought Wholesale. anyone else hear this?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:26 PM

I have ordered twice on the phone and had great service, again on the phone, in person not so much. They really don't have the time to spend, they are always looking at someone else when they are talking to you.

just my 2 cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post

Old 04-24-2008, 10:44 PM

It is true, UFA has bought WSS, it was announced this week at a UFA meeting with all the dealers this week. Red Deer store is supposed to be the first store to get outdoor equipment I believe.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:46 PM

Awesome service in the Calgary store today.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:40 AM

Never had good service in Calgary yet! Phoned about a Sav99 in .250 they took in trade and wanted condition particulars etc......... and had them hold it for me.Drove to Calgary from Red Deer to get it and low and behold it was a BUBBA customized piece of crap not fit for staking up tomatoes.Then to top it off the cabbage behind the counter couldn't read as the caliber was 22HP[.22 Savage high power]not .250! For the last 5years or so I skip WS and go to Russell's.Smaller store less dummies.It ****es one off to have a grand in hand to spend on reloading supplies and be left standing at the counter ignored.I now go to Montana every two years or so. Pi$$ on WS.......Harold
Old 04-25-2008, 10:21 AM

it was wierd. i went to buy a book from wss in lethbridge and my dad was giving another guy some input on the 22 250. i was hanging around looked at a few bows and glanced at a few guns and the sales person told me he will be with me in a few moments. i was really suprized expecualy because i am 16! and that was the time i didnt need help with anything lol.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:45 PM

Default WSS Service

Bought a Marlin 17HMR a few weeks ago in Calgary and the service was great! I must have spent 20 min with the guy and he was very helpful. Can't say the same for Russels. What an ***whole behind the gun counter. He didn't like Savages, Marlins, H&R's, etc., etc., and (He) would only buy Ruger 7722 or CZ. I didn't realize I would be buying it for him! Any way that's the usual service I get in Russels. It will be interesting when Bass Pro opens.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:21 AM

wholesale in edmonton if you need help with camping stuff ask for tyson. tell him dave from elk point recommended him and i'm sure he'll be even better than he usually is. tall blonde kid with glasses, good guy and very knowledgable about everything, even with rifles, ammo reloads you name it.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:17 AM

If I know what I want and they have it, I go top WSS , otherwise I got to another store.
Phioed Bashaw the other day but Pud was cpmpletly out of wads, so I phoned WSS in Calgary.
]After listnening to elevator music for 2 minutes I gave up.
Phoned Russells, no sweat - here in three days.
Cat
Old 04-26-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07icanam View Post
It is true, UFA has bought WSS, it was announced this week at a UFA meeting with all the dealers this week. Red Deer store is supposed to be the first store to get outdoor equipment I believe.
I must be brain dead- What do you mean "the first store to get outdoor equipment"?? (Isn't that what they sell now? Do you mean ploughs and tractors, LOL!)
Old 04-26-2008, 10:32 AM

was at WS yesterday to see if they had video camera arms in yet(3 mnths ago they were on order). Still nothing in yet. Unbelleivable. But how in the hell can a store that size and with their buying power not be able t get them in. Went to Jimbows archery and he gets one for me in 2 days... go figure.
And it's because of that kind of service why I will continue to spend my money at Jimbows. I did pay a bit more for it but he got it for me asap when i need it this week for bears. with the weather not cooperating, I"m going to southern BC fr turkeys instead and hopefully chase bears in a couple weeks.
I guarantee the owners of WS were getting nervous with BPS coming to town and bet that's what provoked the sale of WS. Timing is to coincidental.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post

Two seasons ago I was about a week away from a hunt in BC and wanted a Gerber pack that I thought they had. I couldn't make it into Calgary, so I called their mail order, and the girl actually called all their stores (because the computer wasn't synching up with the actual inventory) and found one of the packs left in Lethbridge. I paid for it via CC, and she had a girl in the lethbridge shop drop it off at the bus depot on her way home from work. I had the pack in my hands the next afternoon (greyhound C.O.D.). Excellent service.

That being said, I can't even walk into their store any more. I guess the customer service field is feeling the pinch in this job market. In the past year, I've gone from loving WSS as a one-stop-shop, to avoiding it altogether. On the flip side, I love the help I get from Russel's and feel at home there. They definitely feel passionate about what they do. Even if sometimes the guys there and I agree to disagree. As an out-of-towner, they have always treated me with respect.

-Josh
Old 04-26-2008, 09:48 PM

went to WSS today...for the last time....Went in to pick up my new fishing license. I think the automatic doors in the entrance is where the service ends it that place.Very ironic when you wait at the "customer service" desk and no one is there....for 20 minutes....Funny that the three girls working cash had time to chat with each other and not one offered to help.....how does a business survive like this?....oh well, just my rant.....
Old 04-26-2008, 10:10 PM

Default Wss Edmonton

Was in WSS today(sat.) at the gun counter.When my number was called I was pleasantly surprised.A gentleman by the name of Doug served me.Extremely polite and knowledable.I was looking for a savage bolt in .17 HMR .It was busy so I didn t want to take too much of his time.I asked to see one savage gun he demonstrated 3.I made a comment about the ruger 10/22 and he showed me a new model.He gave me a savage and ruger catalog and I just about fell over.Tip of the hat to "Doug" at Wss.....Zepf
Old 04-27-2008, 12:22 PM

Now that I'm "clued in"- has anyone heard about how much more "outdoor stuff" UFA stores in places like Fort Sask. might handle? (Big John??)
Old 04-27-2008, 08:29 PM

Default wholesale

i don't mean to be another guy to go on a rant about wss terriable service, but it really is that bad, drove from camrose to the store in edmonton last week looking to buy a tikka 270 wsm, i had been excited to get the gun for over a month now, needless to say i walked out with the same amount of money in my bank account and a ****ed off look on my face.