Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-25-2018, 10:47 AM

Default Quality toboggan behind your sled advice please

We want a quality toboggan to pull behind the sled... I've had issues in the past with the brackets breaking where it connects to the toboggan.

Saw the "Equinox" at Cdn tire and looks good.

Any other recommendations here? Thanks.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:40 AM

Can't go wrong with an Otter Sled.

https://www.otteroutdoors.com/produc...y/otter-sleds/

Often imitated, never duplicated. lol
Old 12-25-2018, 11:53 AM

Default no sled just quad

Had the otter and it was ok but I traded up to the pelican 75 as it had the replaceable nylon tracks instead of just runners molded into the bottom of plastic. find it tracks much nicer behind the quad than the Otter.

Keep an eye on Costco in store sales that may not be advertised on the web site as only specific stores will discount the Pelican 75 including cover and hitch to around $129. Happened in Edmonton 3 years ago and they were sold out by the time I got a friend to go to that store. I managed to get a few for myself and friends 2 years ago at a Calgary store.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:08 PM

Me and the old man both use otters. Going on 5-7yrs now and never had any issues with the sled.We chose to purchase the metal tow bar they sell and then modified it to allow if to fold up over the sled (while the sled is packed) so we can slide it right into the truck box and when we get to the lake just pull it out and your ready to go. I’ll post a pic after Xmas. Also we fish lakes that are 1hr sled ride in and these sleds seem to take the abuse no problem.... we did however also build a support system for the auger as we found it took a lot of abuse on the trail getting bumped around.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:47 PM

Koender plastics. Halford hide carries them. They are a real good quality swimmer.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Had the otter and it was ok but I traded up to the pelican 75 as it had the replaceable nylon tracks instead of just runners molded into the bottom of plastic. find it tracks much nicer behind the quad than the Otter.

Keep an eye on Costco in store sales that may not be advertised on the web site as only specific stores will discount the Pelican 75 including cover and hitch to around $129. Happened in Edmonton 3 years ago and they were sold out by the time I got a friend to go to that store. I managed to get a few for myself and friends 2 years ago at a Calgary store.

You can get the hyfax runners for otter sleds as well. Infact most of the dealers around me sell them already on the sleds as a package.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:05 PM

That's interesting will have to look into that. Peavey mart and u.f.a also have an assortment. I have the big otter it's awesome for behind the sled or quad. Very durable but the thing seems tough to pull by hand especially in fresh loose snow with a big load on. I drilled some holes and put ropes along the sides, front and back for rachett strap hooks. There isn't much of a lip on the otter for a hook to bite on.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:19 PM

Look at the UFA at their Calf sleds, I bought one 20 years ago mounted an old pair of ski's to the bottom if it. Still use it today. Durable and don't tip over
Old 12-25-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Koender plastics. Halford hide carries them. They are a real good quality swimmer.
This
Old 12-25-2018, 05:38 PM

Northern sled works are the best on the planet. Quite hard to get in alberta but they can be made relatively easily with UHMW. I build one and it was awesome. Sold the sled and sold the snowmobile now I have build a light one to pull by hand.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:

I have the same one and it is great. I saw them at Canadian Tire the other day, but it did not include the hitch and cover. Costco’s buy is much better if they have them in stock.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-25-2018, 07:22 PM

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/sn...-acsledtrapper

Thats the best sled money can buy in my opinion. Don't bother with any of the junk from canadian tire. Been running this sled for many years and it's as tough as it gets. Its expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:19 PM

Had the magnum in this brand for 20 yrs, pulled loads of wood, deer and moose plus ice fishing gear behind sleds, atv and an argo. Still going strong.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...1&d=1545794313
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Otter.jpg (79.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 12-25-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:

That's a hell of a deal, they are around $350 online. I bought a jetsled XL from cabelas for $100, welded up a hitch with $15 worth of square tubing and I cut strips of old puck board and riveted it to bottom ribs. Haven't taken it out fishing yet, hopefully this week. Seems to pull nice around the yard and some bush trails.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:49 PM

Bought the medium otter this yr, so far so good. Bought the hitch and cover that’s made for it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
Me and the old man both use otters. Going on 5-7yrs now and never had any issues with the sled.We chose to purchase the metal tow bar they sell and then modified it to allow if to fold up over the sled (while the sled is packed) so we can slide it right into the truck box and when we get to the lake just pull it out and your ready to go. I’ll post a pic after Xmas. Also we fish lakes that are 1hr sled ride in and these sleds seem to take the abuse no problem.... we did however also build a support system for the auger as we found it took a lot of abuse on the trail getting bumped around.
I’d like to see what mods you guys made , I have the otter magnum pro .

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 12-26-2018, 07:19 AM

All great options, now what to do! Thanks!
Old 12-26-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefever View Post
Look at the UFA at their Calf sleds, I bought one 20 years ago mounted an old pair of ski's to the bottom if it. Still use it today. Durable and don't tip over
X 2... the red ones.

I have two and not only are they great for hunting/ice fishing but the kids loved them on the toboggan hill....

They really fly... Not Clark Griswald saucer fly, but they really clip along....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 12-26-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post

Thats the best sled money can buy in my opinion. Don't bother with any of the junk from canadian tire. Been running this sled for many years and it's as tough as it gets. Its expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Correct this is very good I have the smaller model with the caboose add on with musher handle, holds a couple extra pails.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:37 PM

check Costco
the sled was on sale for $99.00
Pelican brand!
sturdy and comes with the hitch and the cover.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post

I agree completely. Been pulling one for years (15 yrs). A few expedition type trips into NWT for lakers with no issues. They can also come equipped with a musher style backrest, great for a passenger or a few jerry cans of gas. Even hitting spots of overflow with slush flying everywhere your shat stays dry. PERIOD
Old 12-27-2018, 07:56 PM

I have the pelican and otter like them both. I’ve drug elk out in the pelican from some pretty ugly spots. Like most guys these things don’t get used hard and maybe out once a week during the winter