Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2018, 03:44 PM

Thumbs down watch for expired merchandise at retail stores. Boat safety flares

I went on line for the big Father's Day Sale looking for some safety flares for my boat and Cabelas had them in stock. Trouble is they expire 10/18 so for $50 I get six flares that are good for 3 months. I called Cabelas to see if they would check stock to find any that were good until 2021 "I'm sorry sir we don't do that." I also asked what happens if I get these flares sent and they are already expired "they are final sale just like everything in the store". Good to know, no more shopping at Cabela's

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-17-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I went on line for the big Father's Day Sale looking for some safety flares for my boat and Cabelas had them in stock. Trouble is they expire 10/18 so for $50 I get six flares that are good for 3 months. I called Cabelas to see if they would check stock to find any that were good until 2021 "I'm sorry sir we don't do that." I also asked what happens if I get these flares sent and they are already expired "they are final sale just like everything in the store". Good to know, no more shopping at Cabela's
I think you just got a bad worker man, that doesn't sound right at all, lazy worker. I'd call back and speak with someone else.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:56 PM
Banned

Sounds to me like you talked to a sales associate who has not yet learned what good service is. I have always had pretty good service when talking to a manager.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:56 PM

sound like the result of being bankrupt, and new policies.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:54 PM

Cabela’s and Bass pro are both jokes, everybody said how bad wholesale was, but, still better than these two.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:49 AM

Maybe no solace, however, have popped off extensive numbers of para flares way out of date with spectacular result.

I understand the date/ safety aspect however, tubes of fire always seem to do what is expected. As long as they are kept properly.

Safety is costly.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

All retail stores have issues but I would not hesitate to return to get a deal or two at any of these stores....makes my bucks go a long way....went to a store the other day, issues, went to another and got what I wanted only torrential the initial store to get another deal with no issues....win, win for me

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-18-2018, 06:37 AM

Everytime there's been an issue, they've done right by me,no complaints
Old 06-18-2018, 07:19 AM

Reminds of milk in the store, best before date. 2 weeks old on the shelf and only one day left on the best before date.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:58 AM

I'm guessing you bought the Tru Flare pen style flares. Yes those one do have a shelf life but as long as you store them in a waterproof storage container they will last long past the date. If you leave them in the box they will absorb moisture and fail to fire. I find one of those small pelican cases and a desiccant pack works the best.

Generally speaking, every store I have dealt with has a no return product on any pyrotechnic device. This included Wholesale, Canadian Tire, Ect. Im also guessing Cabelas grouped these flares in with ammunition and reloading components as they are basically a .22 cal blank, gun powder,strontium carbonate and magnesium. Cabela's return policy states:
Quote:
Final Sale items that cannot be returned include:

Ammunition, gun powder, primers or reloading components
Arrows (once cut to length)
Bear or dog spray
Books
Food processing equipment
Footwear insoles
Gift Cards and E-Gift Cards
Sleeping bags and mattresses (including mattress pads)
Pre-owned firearms purchased from a retail store
Special Orders (including personalized items)
Tree stands and ladder stands
Underwear, lingerie, swimsuits and base layers
Retail-location Bargain Cave items (exception: Bargain Cave items purchased on Cabelas.ca follow general return guidelines).

Items purchased from a retail location in the United States or from Cabelas.com may not be returned to a Canadian retail store. Similarly, items purchased from Cabela’s Canada may not be returned in the United States.

Other restrictions may apply. For more information please call 1.800.265.6245 or email info@cabelas.ca.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 06-18-2018, 08:17 AM

The problem is not will they work, the problem is when you are checked on the ocean by RCMP and they find your mandatory flares are expired they give you a little piece of paper that costs you money. The officer himself said he knows full well the 30 flares I have will work fine, but.....
This time I got a warning. I need new flares before July 10.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-18-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I'm guessing you bought the Tru Flare pen style flares. Yes those one do have a shelf life but as long as you store them in a waterproof storage container they will last long past the date. If you leave them in the box they will absorb moisture and fail to fire. I find one of those small pelican cases and a desiccant pack works the best.

Generally speaking, every store I have dealt with has a no return product on any pyrotechnic device. This included Wholesale, Canadian Tire, Ect. Im also guessing Cabelas grouped these flares in with ammunition and reloading components as they are basically a .22 cal blank, gun powder,strontium carbonate and magnesium. Cabela's return policy states:
No they are the 12ga duals. Again the issue is not will they work, it is the sharp little eyes on the RCMP or DFO / Coast Guard Officer checking for Safety Compliance on the open water. Expired flares = $$$ taken away.