Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2020, 11:55 AM

Default Trolling motor options?

I have just purchased a 2006 1750 Crestliner Sport Angler. It had a 50lb minn Kota, single battery trolling motor on it. Used it yesterday and It seemed to really struggle to get it to a decent trolling speed, so looking at potential upgrade options. The boat has an old Lowrance X-52 finder so electronics are dated as well.

If you were me and were looking for the best bang for buck trolling motor and fish finder option what would you get? Brand, specs, battery
Old 06-17-2020, 12:16 PM

I would get a gas kicker. Otherwise you need between two, 24 Volt and three batteries, 36 Volt, and 3-$4000 for a 36 volt electric trolling motor. Trying to use an electric for any more than position or poking around weed banks in the shallows, especially when it is windy out is a waste of time in my books. The 24V autopilot I have on mine I use strictly for steering control while trolling with the gas kicker.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:26 PM

I should also add that the boat is being used to pull the kids for water sports. Have thought about adding a kicker but wasn’t sure if that is feasible given the need to be able to tow tubes etc. Can that still be done with a transom harness if I add a kicker?
Old 06-17-2020, 12:37 PM

Yes, we did it with mine a fair bit. The kicker sticks out way less than the main motor so if you are running a Y harness off the two rear cleats you are still fine.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay845 View Post
I should also add that the boat is being used to pull the kids for water sports. Have thought about adding a kicker but wasn’t sure if that is feasible given the need to be able to tow tubes etc. Can that still be done with a transom harness if I add a kicker?

You can tow with a kicker in place, trimmed up. It can be a bit of a pain to get the ropes clear when you are setting up initially but once in place it works fine.

I have both an electric and a gas kicker. I use the electric far more than the gas. My system for this year is a 36V Ulterra iPilot Link. Last year I used a 24V Ulterra iPilot Link on a 19 foot boat with no issues. The Link allows you to connect to a Humminbird finder, like the Helix. By connecting them you can use the Autochart map you make on the Helix for the MinnKota to follow the contour lines. Set the cruise on the MinnKota and fish away. Or use it to spot lock you in place.

I can honestly say that a good electric bow mount linked to my fishfinder has changed the way I fish.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 06-17-2020, 02:42 PM

The cost of a kicker vs the cost of a new electric trolling motor setup and batteries will be close to a wash.

Unless you're strictly a troller - long hours at speeds of 2-2.5mph or more, I wouldn't prioritize a gas kicker over a good electric trolling motor. The backup factor of a gas kicker is really nice, and they are better for long hours of trolling, but their use is pretty limited. If you're using the boat with kids for watersports, you can work around it, but you're going to find that the kicker will be a pain in the butt. It's a lot of added weight at the back of the boat too, so keep that in mind.

If I had to choose between my gas kicker and my bow mount, I'd throw the kicker overboard in a heartbeat.

A newer 24V bow mount with good Group 31 batteries will let you troll for hours at 2 mph. The much bigger factors are the ability to troll slowly, silently, steer at the touch of a button, and the holy grail, spot lock. Other than a sonar unit, a bow mount trolling motor is the most important piece of equipment on a fishing boat in my opinion.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Minnkota Terrova or the Motorguide Xi5. They both have pros and cons, but they're both very good motors that will get the job done.

Lots of posts here lately on sonar, and lots of good options to fit any budget.

The last thing I'd mention, is that in my opinion, while the ability to link your trolling motor and your sonar is nice, it is in no way a must have. It would be pretty far down on my list of options and features that I would want to have.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:02 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice. Think I will go down the trollling motor route. If anyone is selling one hit me up. I am looking!
Old 07-30-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I would get a gas kicker. Otherwise you need between two, 24 Volt and three batteries, 36 Volt, and 3-$4000 for a 36 volt electric trolling motor. Trying to use an electric for any more than position or poking around weed banks in the shallows, especially when it is windy out is a waste of time in my books. The 24V autopilot I have on mine I use strictly for steering control while trolling with the gas kicker.
is pushing the bow mount trolling motor with a kicker or main motor hard on your trolling motor? like a sidways thrust?

i dont have a kicker and dont think i can put one on due to transom shape.

i have a motorguide with a foot remote and want to go to a ipilot link to run off the contours.

Last edited by 220 Swift; 07-30-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
You can tow with a kicker in place, trimmed up. It can be a bit of a pain to get the ropes clear when you are setting up initially but once in place it works fine.

I have both an electric and a gas kicker. I use the electric far more than the gas. My system for this year is a 36V Ulterra iPilot Link. Last year I used a 24V Ulterra iPilot Link on a 19 foot boat with no issues. The Link allows you to connect to a Humminbird finder, like the Helix. By connecting them you can use the Autochart map you make on the Helix for the MinnKota to follow the contour lines. Set the cruise on the MinnKota and fish away. Or use it to spot lock you in place.

I can honestly say that a good electric bow mount linked to my fishfinder has changed the way I fish.
i am thinking that this is me as well. when fishing by oneself i find that all i do is jump between steering fishing and all the other kinds of fooling around.

is the 36Volt worth it?
Old 07-30-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220 Swift View Post
i am thinking that this is me as well. when fishing by oneself i find that all i do is jump between steering fishing and all the other kinds of fooling around.

is the 36Volt worth it?

Really depends on how big your boat is, how long you plan to run the electric on an average day, and your ability to charge the batteries overnight.

If you are running a big heavy boat for 8-10 hrs per day and you are remote where you can’t charge the batteries easily, go 36v.

I can run my 24v for 6-7 hrs straight on my 19 foot boat pulling rigs (1-1.5 mph) and have never had an issue with it running down the batteries.

Old 07-30-2020, 05:20 PM

Ok thanks. I think i am good with an 18 foot boat to go only to 24.
Currently have 12 V not sure if i mentioned that earlier
I may have found that i have the wrong network 5 port
Helix 7 g2n
999hdsi
5portethernet. HBAs eth 5ps

Last edited by 220 Swift; 07-30-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220 Swift View Post
Ok thanks. I think i am good with an 18 foot boat to go only to 24.
Currently have 12 V not sure if i mentioned that earlier

You should be fine with 24V. The other item to consider is the shaft length, which depends on how high your bow is. I’m guessing a 60 inch should be fine. 72 inch may stick out over your gunnel when stowed which can be a pain when pulling into docks.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:52 PM

I put on a MG XI5 this year and paired it to my Lowrance unit. 24 volt system. 18ft lund. Had it running for about 10hrs the past two days and it was awesome. Absolutley love the 100 fish days on the water.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2020, 08:09 PM

I have a gas kicker for trolling lakers and salmon, and an electric bow mount.

The electric, as Sam points out, is a tool that will allow you to get on more fish. Spot lock, follow the contour, or follow the path and super slow, in control trolling catches more fish. PERIOD. No serious fishing boat should be without one. If you fish walleye, it's critical.

For a boat your size, you need 80 lbs thrust minimum. This will be a 24V system using two 12v batteries. Anything less is useless and won't hold you on spot with a breeze and will suck your battery dry quickly.

Last edited by EZM; 07-30-2020 at 08:25 PM.