Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Banned

Default Flies for a non - profit organization

Some of you may recall a while back that I was collecting pledges to fundraise for a local non profit organization called AAFS (Autism Aspergers Friendship Society). I was just talking with one of the people involved with the organization and heard that they had just put in an order for a bunch of new fishing gear (rods and reels) which included a half dozen fly fishing combos. I know fishing is a huge hit with the kids and I think it is cool that they are going to teach some of them to fly fish.

So I was thinking that maybe some of the incredibly skilled fly tying forum members might be interestest in donating some of their flys to put together a couple fly boxes to get them started out with. not expecting people to send mass amounts but if we could get gome guys to send a couple flies each, it wouldnt take much to build a couple really unique fly boxes for these kids to enjoy. Heck, might even inspire a couple to start tying.

what do you guys think?

Last edited by Braun; 06-14-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:32 PM

I'll put something together for you today/tonite and BBM you details buddy.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Banned

I would love to donate some flies, however I might not be one of those super talented fly tiers but I could donate some of the basic flies that every begginer should have in there box. If that's ok with you then count me in.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
Some of you may recall a while back that I was collecting pledges to fundraise for a local non profit organization called AAFS (Autism Aspergers Friendship Society). I was just talking with one of the people involved with the organization and heard that they had just put in an order for a bunch of new fishing gear (rods and reels) which included a half dozen fly fishing combos. I know fishing is a huge hit with the kids and I think it is cool that they are going to teach some of them to fly fish.

So I was thinking that maybe some of the incredibly skilled fly tying forum members might be interestest in donating some of their flys to put together a couple fly boxes to get them started out with. not expecting people to send mass amounts but if we could get gome guys to send a couple flies each, it wouldnt take much to build a couple really unique fly boxes for these kids to enjoy. Heck, might even inspire a couple to start tying.

what do you guys think?
1. I think you should get in on this part ^^^^^^ ... it's time.
2. Put together a couple of packs for the kids... somewhere in the neighbourhood of 70 - 80 flies.
3. I have way too much gear!

TR
Old 06-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt04 View Post
I would love to donate some flies, however I might not be one of those super talented fly tiers but I could donate some of the basic flies that every begginer should have in there box. If that's ok with you then count me in.
Absolutely you are more than welcome to contribute. Anything sent will be put to good use.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Your flies for the swap were primo Matt. Don't be so modest.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
1. I think you should get in on this part ^^^^^^ ... it's time.
2. Put together a couple of packs for the kids... somewhere in the neighbourhood of 70 - 80 flies.
3. I have way too much gear!

TR

1. I can fly fish....... I just wouldn't say I'm amazing at it...... In due time. This year I am going to get waders and start fly fishing more.

2. That is more than generous of you TR. I'll personally make sure some good fortune is coming your way.

3. You do have way too much tackle. You should customize your truck to be one giant tackle box behind your cab. maybe chip foose's next project.

By the way.... you dont have to be a generous as TR. He basically just tidied up his tackle box a bit and the 70-80 flies are probably just the ones he couldn't fit back into the boxes.........

Last edited by Braun; 06-14-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Banned

I will PM anyone contributing directions on how to send them to me and I will pick up fly boxes and put the packages together.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
I will PM anyone contributing directions on how to send them to me and I will pick up fly boxes and put the packages together.
sweet, sounds good Braun. I'm glad to help out for such a good cause.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your flies for the swap were primo Matt. Don't be so modest.
Thanks Tacklerunner, I don't have any buddies that tie so I have nothing really to compare to. I'm glad I took part in the fly swap
Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 PM

i'm thinking these kids will be learning on ponds or some type of still water. is it lake stuff you're looking for? i talk to JR about the cause and i'm sure he'll spin some up. i'll go through my boxes as well and pull something together. let us know which way to lean lakes or streams. oh and i agree with TR, you should maybe hook up with the kids and learn to chuck at the same time.

Dace
Old 06-14-2011, 09:57 PM

Braun told me they will be going to the Bow, Sheep and Highwood as well as ponds with a hardcore fly fisherman so a general selection would probably be best Dace. As mentioned before, you and I and Braun should go help out at one of their fishing excursions. Would be rewarding I think.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
i'm thinking these kids will be learning on ponds or some type of still water. is it lake stuff you're looking for? i talk to JR about the cause and i'm sure he'll spin some up. i'll go through my boxes as well and pull something together. let us know which way to lean lakes or streams. oh and i agree with TR, you should maybe hook up with the kids and learn to chuck at the same time.

Dace
they will be mostly learning on still water. but you would be surprised how good some of these kids are. I know they will be doing trips to moving water. probably more towards the later months of summer / fall.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Braun told me they will be going to the Bow, Sheep and Highwood as well as ponds with a hardcore fly fisherman so a general selection would probably be best Dace. As mentioned before, you and I and Braun should go help out at one of their fishing excursions. Would be rewarding I think.
ya i could probably set that up. I am sure the help would be much appreciated.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Banned

well, I will tie up some wooly buggers and caddis's, that will be a decent start.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
well, I will tie up some wooly buggers and caddis's, that will be a decent start.
sounds awesome man. anyone else interested in throwing their hat, but preferably some flies into the mix?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:51 PM

I don't tie flies, but I could put in some spools of trilene or something for the other rods.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
I don't tie flies, but I could put in some spools of trilene or something for the other rods.
absolutely. I do not believe they have line for the other rods (20 spinning combos in total) I am going to give them two spools of 660 yards of 10lb triline which probably only covers 6 rods a piece. I chose the 10 lb just because i typically find the thicker lines are a little more tangle resistant for kids. Any and all tackle im sure wil be used by them. For the most part I believe they use bait, hooks, and bobbers for the spin casters. maybe pickerel rigs. I am not sure. they might have use for some spinning tackle like spinners, small cranks, ect. Some kids might not like fishing with a bober or bait sitting on the bottom.

it would all be used
Old 06-14-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
Very generous Kokanee.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:19 PM
Banned

Would this be a good thread to stick somewhere??

...no not there!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 PM

braun...70 flies for the kids....snowshoes is picking them up tomorrow...hope the kids have fun
Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Banned

That's awesome chubbs. I bet these kids are going to have a hay day with all the flies to choose from. Once again thanks to all who are contributing, all the tackle is sure to get lots of use
Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Banned

Re: Would this be a good thread to stick somewhere?? ...no not there!

Actually Im serious...this would make an excellent sticky thread, and I should'nt have tried to joke about it.
Kudos to all of you who are investing time and resources for an excellent cause.

Chubbdarter...nice flybox! Good work all of you!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Re: Would this be a good thread to stick somewhere?? ...no not there!

Actually Im serious...this would make an excellent sticky thread, and I should'nt have tried to joke about it.
Kudos to all of you who are investing time and resources for an excellent cause.

Chubbdarter...nice flybox! Good work all of you!
yaaa the box is a old lure box....i offered to buy fly boxes but it was already being handled.

How about Gink and leader/tippet material

This is for kids...So everyone pitch in
Old 06-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Banned

Tippet material would be the next thing they need. As mentioned above, if any non fly fishermen want to help out with some spinning gear, that would be used too. Spinners, small spoons / cranks. hooks, terminal tackle. anything and everything fishing related could be put to good use
Old 06-16-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Tippet material would be the next thing they need. As mentioned above, if any non fly fishermen want to help out with some spinning gear, that would be used too. Spinners, small spoons / cranks. hooks, terminal tackle. anything and everything fishing related could be put to good use

sorry Braun..read this too late...Snowshoes just left my place....i did throw in some to make it closer to 100. If there is still time i'll donate more of what youve requested above.
Trout type or pike type?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Banned

Lots of time. I have got a couple guys who are tying flies. And one guy wants to contribute but is away this week and will need to tie when he gets back. I am thinking I will deliver the package around the end of the month before the long weekend.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Lots of time. I have got a couple guys who are tying flies. And one guy wants to contribute but is away this week and will need to tie when he gets back. I am thinking I will deliver the package around the end of the month before the long weekend.

why dont you let me know what you need after youve done some collecting...i'll fill in the holes and spaces so the kids dont go wthout.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:12 PM

my flies are somewhere lost in mail so the 2 packs of flies when they come should be donated when tackle recives him.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
my flies are somewhere lost in mail so the 2 packs of flies when they come should be donated when tackle recives him.
Thanks FH7. Very generous.