Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2020, 08:31 PM
Banned

Default Am I reading this right?

I’m heading out camping for three days, the lake I’m heading to has a one walleye limit per day. If I go out for three days and not eat them while I’m there, can I bring home 3 walleye?

Old 07-06-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I’m heading out camping for three days, the lake I’m heading to has a one walleye limit per day. If I go out for three days and not eat them while I’m there, can I bring home 3 walleye?

Nope. You can but if you are caught you will get worked. 1 is the possession allowable limit Per day . I know it sucks but that’s Alberta. Places like Calling and LLBiche could have a much higher limit and it wouldn’t even make a dent in the walleye population. Maybe one day 🙏 I see the regs you copied says 3 walleye so It would be 3 per day.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
Nope. You can but if you are caught you will get worked. 1 is the possession allowable limit Per day . I know it sucks but that’s Alberta. Places like Calling and LLBiche could have a much higher limit and it wouldn’t even make a dent in the walleye population. Maybe one day 🙏 I see the regs you copied says 3 walleye so It would be 3 per day.
I’m going camping for 3 days, are you saying that after 3 days of camping I can only bring home one fish?
Old 07-06-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I’m going camping for 3 days, are you saying that after 3 days of camping I can only bring home one fish?
Yes.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Yes if the possession is 1. Remember that is per person. So if you are with say your wife or kids they can have 1 too as long as they have a license
Old 07-06-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Yup
And if you were out camping at that same lake a month ago, and brought one home and still have it in your freezer, you couldn’t bring any back with you this time. Lol
Old 07-06-2020, 09:27 PM

If you go to three different lakes with a limit of one you can bring home one from each of those three lakes. The max posession province wide is three. You cannot exceed a daily limit on a lake from any one lake.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 07-06-2020, 09:35 PM

4 pike in the freezer and your now a poacher!
Old 07-06-2020, 09:41 PM
Banned

Fish is best eaten fresh, I don’t like to freeze them. So I’m going camping with a couple buddies this trip, I was hoping to bring home a fish fry for the family, I’ll have to stop at a couple lakes on the way home to make it happen I guess 🙁
Old 07-06-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
If you go to three different lakes with a limit of one you can bring home one from each of those three lakes. The max posession province wide is three. You cannot exceed a daily limit on a lake from any one lake.

You got to tell me more on that reg. I have been missing out for many years it looks like.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
You got to tell me more on that reg. I have been missing out for many years it looks like.
We used to go on three day ice fishing trips all the time. We would hit Slave and get our limit of two walleye and then a different lake or two with a limit of one or two and sometimes come home with 2 or 3 walleye a person. But now they closed the other lakes we used to fish. Good news is they opened a bunch of the others! You could even hit three different lakes in one day with a one fish limit and keep three total. But you better have photo date stamped proof with the gps on for backup if you ever get stopped.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 07-06-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
We used to go on three day ice fishing trips all the time. We would hit Slave and get our limit of two walleye and then a different lake or two with a limit of one or two and sometimes come home with 2 or 3 walleye a person. But now they closed the other lakes we used to fish. Good news is they opened a bunch of the others! You could even hit three different lakes in one day with a one fish limit and keep three total. But you better have photo date stamped proof with the gps on for backup if you ever get stopped.

🤔. I will have to look into that. Make sure you have a camera
Old 07-07-2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:

If you go to 3 lakes with a limit of one fish WITHIN THE SAME DAY, you maximum possession is still ONE.
When you possess fish over the limits of the water body you are fishing, you are already violating the rule.
Imaging an officer caught someone possesses a walleye at Newell without a tag, and such person says this fish is from another lake that allows keeping walleye.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:42 AM

Quote:

Daily Possession - The number of fish you are allowed to keep while fishing in one day is equal to the limit listed for each species or group of species at the lake or stream being fished, including any fish eaten or given away that day. When you are fishing at any lake or stream, you may not have in your possession more fish than the limit, or fish other than those of legal size, listed for the lake or stream being fished.

Pretty clearly states that what you are describing isn't legal. Now if you were to take your one or two fish home first and than hit another lake the next day you could retain a fish as long as you stay under the provincial maximum of 3 in total. You can't have a fish on you from a different lake caught the day before at lake A and then keep from lake B if the limit for lake B is 1 for ex.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Bring the family with you....then they can enjoy a fish fry without all the issues....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-07-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror View Post
If you go to 3 lakes with a limit of one fish WITHIN THE SAME DAY, you maximum possession is still ONE.
When you possess fish over the limits of the water body you are fishing, you are already violating the rule.
Imaging an officer caught someone possesses a walleye at Newell without a tag, and such person says this fish is from another lake that allows keeping walleye.
There it is. That’s the way I always interpreted the regulations. For example you can’t go to south buck and keep three fish and say 1 was from Gull and 1 from Sylvan as a example. South buck is 1 over 50 and if a FW checks your cooler you better have only 1 walleye in there
Old 07-07-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
There it is. That’s the way I always interpreted the regulations. For example you can’t go to south buck and keep three fish and say 1 was from Gull and 1 from Sylvan as a example. South buck is 1 over 50 and if a FW checks your cooler you better have only 1 walleye in there
Not positive Jigsalot but didn't South Buck get changed this year to 1 Walleye over 45cms. Yep the regs can be confusing.
I just checked and I think its 1 Walleye over 45 cms. but under 50 cms.

Last edited by briangeorge; 07-07-2020 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Adding another comment
Old 07-07-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Daily Possession - The number of fish you are allowed to keep while fishing in one day is equal to the limit listed for each species or group of species at the lake or stream being fished, including any fish eaten or given away that day. When you are fishing at any lake or stream, you may not have in your possession more fish than the limit, or fish other than those of legal size, listed for the lake or stream being fished.

Pretty clearly states that what you are describing isn't legal. Now if you were to take your one or two fish home first and than hit another lake the next day you could retain a fish as long as you stay under the provincial maximum of 3 in total. You can't have a fish on you from a different lake caught the day before at lake A and then keep from lake B if the limit for lake B is 1 for ex.
Well put here. Don't understand the confusion by some as this came up a lot between Sylvan and Gull where the whitefish limits are different. I guess some didn't pay attention to those old posts
Old 07-07-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangeorge View Post
Not positive Jigsalot but didn't South Buck get changed this year to 1 Walleye over 45cms. Yep the regs can be confusing.
I just checked and I think its 1 Walleye over 45 cms. but under 50 cms.
You are correct. Good call and will remember that in the winter. Like that lake for winter perch and that size does make it easier to take home a Wally. Caught so many just under 50 cms before and some days I didn’t take one for dinner
Old 07-08-2020, 11:41 AM

Always found this to be one of the most confusing rules in the Regs. By the letter of the law if I fish a stocked pond and keep a couple then stop by the river with only catch release I am officially a poacher because I have in my possession fish.

I like to hit several bodies of water when I head out of town to the mountains for the day and this one always worries me. I try to document my catch and keep my cooler out of reach and in the truck. Hope if it ever becomes an issue I hope the officer goes by the spirit of the rule not the letter of the law. The spirit of the rule is to keep people from retaining more fish then allowed and then claiming it is from different water body.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:35 PM

Ok excuse my ignorance on the specifications of the regulations. I fish to many different places and there are variations on all the regs. I get it now. So while you can keep three walleye a day province wide you can not be actively fishing with your catch from another lake if the possession limit is less than the amount of fish you have. I guess you would have to store the fish at your hotel or in your camper/trailer which are places of residence. You are right the description I described above was avoided by not taking fish with us from prior days fishing while fishing. Please disregard my previous misinformation from my misunderstanding of the current regs.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok excuse my ignorance on the specifications of the regulations. I fish to many different places and there are variations on all the regs. I get it now. So while you can keep three walleye a day province wide you can not be actively fishing with your catch from another lake if the possession limit is less than the amount of fish you have. I guess you would have to store the fish at your hotel or in your camper/trailer which are places of residence. You are right the description I described above was avoided by not taking fish with us from prior days fishing while fishing. Please disregard my previous misinformation from my misunderstanding of the current regs.
From what I understand, by what has been explained on this thread, no you cannot leave your catch at your RV and still retain fish if the limit on the water body you are fishing is one.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:55 PM

This thread is a good example of not knowing the regs.
Many people that fish a lot, read English well, and still confused on regulations. Me included.
The other thread “I reported a poacher” comes to mind.
Everyone saying throw the book at them....
If hardcore fisherman that have a good understanding of the English language are still confused on parts of the regs, i am having a harder and harder time at saying throw the book at them instead of offering help to understand.
I’m sure it would really suck if myself or Kurt or Brandon or anyone couldn’t fish for a year because of misinterpretation.
Instead of instantly calling rap, I will try and determine if they are trying to be sneaky about knowingly are doing what they are doing or it’s possible they don’t understand.
I will either call rap or walk over and talk to them from now on, after I determine their intent from the best of my knowledge.
Regs can be confusing.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Many people that fish a lot, read English well, and still confused on regulations. Me included.
If hardcore fisherman that have a good understanding of the English language are still confused on parts of the regs, i am having a harder and harder time at saying throw the book at them instead of offering help to understand.
I’m sure it would really suck if myself or Kurt or Brandon or anyone couldn’t fish for a year because of misinterpretation.
Instead of instantly calling rap, I will try and determine if they are trying to be sneaky about knowingly are doing what they are doing or it’s possible they don’t understand.
I will either call rap or walk over and talk to them from now on, after I determine their intent from the best of my knowledge.
Regs can be confusing.
I’ve completely stopped fishing in Alberta. It’s not worth the hassles and really the regs are so convoluted that I’m sure they’re written to entrap people.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
From what I understand, by what has been explained on this thread, no you cannot leave your catch at your RV and still retain fish if the limit on the water body you are fishing is one.
Yeah so I just re read the regs. Seems they have changed a bunch of the wording since ive read the general regs probably several years ago. So they actually once again to me make no sense.

Possession - A fish is considered retained (kept) when it is not immediately returned to the waters from which it was taken.

Province-wide maximum possession – All fish kept from any lake or stream, from any Watershed Unit, count as part of the provincewide maximum possession that must not be exceeded. Example – if fishing a waterbody with a limit of one walleye over 50 cm, if you keep (retain) a fish on a stringer or in a live well, you cannot release a retained fish and keep a larger one.

The maximum number of fish you may have, including fish at your home and fish caught under a special harvest licence, for each game fish species or group of species is listed below:
Trout – 5 in total, combined of:
0 bull trout (native to Alberta);
2 Northern Dolly Varden (stocked in Chester Lake only);
1 golden trout;
3 lake trout;
5 cutthroat trout;
5 rainbow trout;
5 brown trout;
5 brook trout;
5 tiger trout.

Arctic Grayling – 0
Mountain Whitefish – 5 in total.
Walleye and Sauger – 3 in combined total.
Northern Pike – 3 in total.
Yellow Perch – 15 in total.
Lake Whitefish and Cisco (Tullibee) – 10 in combined total.
Goldeye and Mooneye – 10 in combined total.
Burbot (Ling) – 10 in total.
Lake Sturgeon – 0
Non-game fish – no restriction on the numbers kept.

This reg seems to separate "posession" and "home".
So it says you can't have more than the lake limit you are fishing in your posession. Then it says the max you can have at home is 3 walleye. So doesn't seem both of these statements can be true. So if you always fish lakes with a one fish walleye limit it means you can't have any walleye at home either if you intend to keep one fish?

Talk about confusing. BC is so much easier. States it more clearly I think. 2 days posession on your person outside of ordinary residence and once at home no longer counts towards posession.

BC "
ordinary residence … a residential dwelling
where a person normally lives, with all
associated connotations including a
permanent mailing address, telephone
number, furnishings and storage of
automobile; the address on one’s driver’s
licence and automobile registration, where
one is registered to vote. A motor home
or vessel at a campsite or marina is not
considered to be an ordinary residence.

possession quota … the number of fish of
any species that an angler may have in their
possession at any given time, EXCEPT at
place of ordinary residence (see above).
In most instances, the possession quota is
two times the daily quota.

QUOTAS
For all game fish, there is a quota or limit on the
number of fish you may retain.
Refer to the Regional Chapters for Regional Daily
Catch Quotas and to the Regional Water-Specific
Tables for special quotas on some individual waters.
Daily quota … the maximum number of fish of a
given species, group of species, or size class
that you may retain in one calendar day.
Possession quota … no more than twice the
daily quota unless otherwise specified (see
definition, page 96).
Monthly quota … the maximum number of
fish that you are allowed to retain in one
calendar month.
Annual quota … the maximum number of fish
that you are allowed to retain in one licence
year (April 1 to March 31).
Quotas are not cumulative: you cannot possess
a quota from each region that you fish.
As a general guideline, never have in your
possession while at or near any lake or
stream, more fish than the allowable quota
for that lake or stream. Check the Regional
Regulations and Tables for daily catch
quotas for B.C. sport fish."

I'll delete my prior posts since I am obviously dead wrong clueless when it comes to the letter of the law posession for fish in AB these days.

Seems i can no longer delete. If admin wants please delete all my posts from this thread. I don't want to spread disinformation.

Last edited by Brandonkop; 07-08-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:21 PM
Banned

Well to be honest I thought that I could retain one walleye per day for three days and come home with my provincial walleye limit. If I hadn’t posted this thread I would not have know better. From reading the regulations I still can’t understand how this is illegal but it’s not worth losing my license or gear.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Regs can be confusing.
Thanks for posting this. I was thinking along the same lines yesterday when I was reading the thread.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah so I just re read the regs. Seems they have changed a bunch of the wording since ive read the general regs probably several years ago. So they actually once again to me make no sense.

Possession - A fish is considered retained (kept) when it is not immediately returned to the waters from which it was taken.

Province-wide maximum possession – All fish kept from any lake or stream, from any Watershed Unit, count as part of the provincewide maximum possession that must not be exceeded. Example – if fishing a waterbody with a limit of one walleye over 50 cm, if you keep (retain) a fish on a stringer or in a live well, you cannot release a retained fish and keep a larger one.

The maximum number of fish you may have, including fish at your home and fish caught under a special harvest licence, for each game fish species or group of species is listed below:
Trout – 5 in total, combined of:
0 bull trout (native to Alberta);
2 Northern Dolly Varden (stocked in Chester Lake only);
1 golden trout;
3 lake trout;
5 cutthroat trout;
5 rainbow trout;
5 brown trout;
5 brook trout;
5 tiger trout.

Arctic Grayling – 0
Mountain Whitefish – 5 in total.
Walleye and Sauger – 3 in combined total.
Northern Pike – 3 in total.
Yellow Perch – 15 in total.
Lake Whitefish and Cisco (Tullibee) – 10 in combined total.
Goldeye and Mooneye – 10 in combined total.
Burbot (Ling) – 10 in total.
Lake Sturgeon – 0
Non-game fish – no restriction on the numbers kept.

This reg seems to separate "posession" and "home".
So it says you can't have more than the lake limit you are fishing in your posession. Then it says the max you can have at home is 3 walleye. So doesn't seem both of these statements can be true. So if you always fish lakes with a one fish walleye limit it means you can't have any walleye at home either if you intend to keep one fish?

Talk about confusing. BC is so much easier. States it more clearly I think. 2 days posession on your person outside of ordinary residence and once at home no longer counts towards posession.

BC "
ordinary residence … a residential dwelling
where a person normally lives, with all
associated connotations including a
permanent mailing address, telephone
number, furnishings and storage of
automobile; the address on one’s driver’s
licence and automobile registration, where
one is registered to vote. A motor home
or vessel at a campsite or marina is not
considered to be an ordinary residence.

possession quota … the number of fish of
any species that an angler may have in their
possession at any given time, EXCEPT at
place of ordinary residence (see above).
In most instances, the possession quota is
two times the daily quota.

QUOTAS
For all game fish, there is a quota or limit on the
number of fish you may retain.
Refer to the Regional Chapters for Regional Daily
Catch Quotas and to the Regional Water-Specific
Tables for special quotas on some individual waters.
Daily quota … the maximum number of fish of a
given species, group of species, or size class
that you may retain in one calendar day.
Possession quota … no more than twice the
daily quota unless otherwise specified (see
definition, page 96).
Monthly quota … the maximum number of
fish that you are allowed to retain in one
calendar month.
Annual quota … the maximum number of fish
that you are allowed to retain in one licence
year (April 1 to March 31).
Quotas are not cumulative: you cannot possess
a quota from each region that you fish.
As a general guideline, never have in your
possession while at or near any lake or
stream, more fish than the allowable quota
for that lake or stream. Check the Regional
Regulations and Tables for daily catch
quotas for B.C. sport fish."

I'll delete my prior posts since I am obviously dead wrong clueless when it comes to the letter of the law posession for fish in AB these days.
It’s pretty messed up, I agree. I’m just happy we’re allowed to retain walleye again.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:51 PM

"When you are fishing at any lake or stream, you may not have in your possession more fish than the limit, or fish other than those of legal size, listed for the lake or stream being fished."

This is the tricky part. I have 3 legal trout in my cooler in the back of my truck from a stocked pond. I stop at a river with no keep fish allowed. My truck is 12 minutes away from were I am fishing but technically they are in my possession so I am in violation as soon as my line touches the water. This is even if I can prove the fish are from another waterbody.

I follow all the rules but this is one I do break. I know it is to keep people that poach from using the excuse that they aren't from that water body. I hope if ever I get stopped they use some common sense. Then again the chances of being stopped, checked, then asked to search my vehicle are pretty slim if at all legal.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:05 AM

To be honest I think if those who find the regs confusing try to imagine themselves in an officers shoes trying to do checks, it shouldn't be hard to see why the regs are the way they are.

With that said I think possession limits are one of the most either misunderstood or ignored regulations out there and frankly I've seen it enough it's hard to get on anyones case to bad without a heads up first. I also wonder how much of an impact on the resource it would be if somehow the awareness could be heightened.

I know, again because I've seen it enough, there is a pile of people reading this thread who would go on a multi day camping trip to a lake and see the regs as being able to head home with 3 fish when the daily limit is 1. There are lots of folks that completely ignore possession limits entirely and just keep their daily limit every day, stockpile, and head home WAY over their limit.