Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-13-2011, 01:04 PM

Default New to Fishing!

Hi folks! I'm new to fishing, and a friend and I are headed out for an overnight trip, near Longview, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for us, or a location that's fairly friendly to new people. We'd prefer to bush camp, and we don't have any kind of boat, so it'd have to be fishing from the shore. I have poles and tackle, (Though the budget kind, this year has not been friendly to the wallet) and I've been looking through Youtube on tips on casting and setting up my gear. I know this is a fairly large request, but I would appreciate any help anyone is willing to offer.

If you're not comfortable discussing fishing spots out in the open, feel free to send me a private message.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:01 PM

Your closet lake would be Chain...but its a provincial campground.
There is some random camping on the Foresty trunk road west of Longview.
Read your regs well for specific stream and creek regs
Old 09-13-2011, 02:20 PM

I'd drive a little further to Pine Coulee res, bargain gear + pickeral rig + 2 tubs of minnows = fun by all, even from shore. C&R walleye it's basically the other side of the porcupine hills from chain lake
Old 09-13-2011, 02:29 PM

Thanks a lot.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:52 PM

I just talked to Alberta Parks in Lethbridge, and the woman there said no random camping around Pine Coulee.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:54 PM

No random, but there is a campground though. But if I miss one thing from my time on the wet coast was camping in forestry site for free. sure they were rough but and on long weekends just as crouded with yahoos but I just feel dirty paying for camping.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:46 AM

I went to Pine Coulee last weekend to try walleye for my first time. Used Pickerel Rigs, minnows and smelts. We landed 20+ fish in a couple of hours. Good fun, but the dock got really busy with lots of other fisher people and boats too. I want to try other parts of that lake to see what else I can land. Apparently there are pike in there too.

Anyone know how to nab some pike from that lake and where (other than the campground dock)?