Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-13-2011, 09:33 AM
westwardflyfisher33

Default Prairie Creek

Can anyone suggest some good spots on prairie creek this time of year? Was out last weekend and fished a few different spots on it but got skunked, although there were some really nice pools. They weren't biting wet or dry.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 AM

My son and I were out there on Sunday also. Fished above and below the closed section. Caught a few very small browns in the upper section and nothing below. We obviously need some assistance also.

In spite of the lack of 'catching' it was great 'fishing'. It is the first time in 35 years I have waded a stream (other the Bow). It reminded me of the times I used to fish with my father in the 60's and it was great to do it now with my son.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:32 PM
westwardflyfisher33

That's awesome, and it's funny you mention it but I have just started fly fishing again after 6 years and I am remembering all the spots on Prairie Creek where my father took me to fish when I was a kid. I just can't remember for the life of me on how to get to those locations. We always fished the beaver dams and would pull out brookie after brookie.

The spot I tried on Sunday was south of Rocky MTN House. If I would have had more time I think I probably would have explored up and downstream a little more, but from what I saw, there was alot of deep pools and alot of deadfall trees and brush over alot of those pools. I tried Pheasant Backs, Wooly Worms, Cricket Hoppers and numerous dry flies as well, but not one bite. Talked to another guy fishing the same area who had supposedly caught a 12" and a 24" Brown the day prior. I plan on going back... if not this year then spring next year for sure. I would love to find the beaver dams again too and relive my childhood(LOL).
Old 09-13-2011, 05:17 PM

in the upper reaches theryres tons of brookies and bullies.
i usaly start at the lower section and keep walking untill i run into some brush then i fish it with massive stimmys. but theyre even funner at night when they slash at you mouse pattern.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:30 AM
westwardflyfisher33

I've seen videos of trout taking mouse so I am definately going to try that pattern next time I am out. What color stimulators do they go for usually?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwardflyfisher33 View Post
I've seen videos of trout taking mouse so I am definately going to try that pattern next time I am out. What color stimulators do they go for usually?
early season darker then lighter as the season goes on. id be using yellow with a orange head right now
Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 AM
westwardflyfisher33

Thanks for the tip Fish Hunter, I will keep that in mind when I am out next.