Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-12-2011, 11:12 PM

Default terrible luck on kootenay tonight

My new wife and I just got our BC fishing licenses today(first day of honeymoon) and got out on the water in my old trihull boat. The fish were jumping everywhere on this awesome lake, but then my boat broke down. Nooooo

So now I'm not sure where we can fish. Probaly going to have to fish on a river now, if we even decide to go anymore.... Such bad luck, we were looking forward to this for months.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Banned

Default crappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
My new wife and I just got our BC fishing licenses today(first day of honeymoon) and got out on the water in my old trihull boat. The fish were jumping everywhere on this awesome lake, but then my boat broke down. Nooooo

So now I'm not sure where we can fish. Probaly going to have to fish on a river now, if we even decide to go anymore.... Such bad luck, we were looking forward to this for months.
try introducing yourself to some locals, or drop some $$ on a guided trip.

meeting locals has always worked in my favour

good luck!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:32 PM

where you staying?
Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 PM

try fishing from shore, if you can use power eggs give them a try, or if your fly fishing use backswimmers, goodluck
Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 PM

We are staying in a cabin in Boswell, on the East shore. A few locals said people fish from shore somewhere called blues point, but they haven't been having any luck at all recently. And no, we are just using spinning rods. I wanted to check out duck lake for some bass fishing, but heard that there wasn't any shore fishing from there.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
We are staying in a cabin in Boswell, on the East shore. A few locals said people fish from shore somewhere called blues point, but they haven't been having any luck at all recently. And no, we are just using spinning rods. I wanted to check out duck lake for some bass fishing, but heard that there wasn't any shore fishing from there.
duck has shore fishing for bass and perch and sunfish.
St marys river is just over the range on Gray creek pass...cutties
Goat river is near Creston...cutties
Mirror lake is a great spot for shore fishing north of Balfour...Bass
Queens bay point is popular for bobber and worm fisherman on the Koot...RBT
The mouth of Coffee creek is good also on koot lake...check creek regs.
Check with the Balfour beach inn...they probably will let you fish their docks.....good for whitefish and all the squaw fish you can stand.
The narrows on the Koot river just past Nelson is also good shore fishng.
Or take the 1 hour drive to castlsgar and fish the Columbia for rainbows and walleye...its prime bobber and hopper season right now.

Dont give up.....your in fishermans pardise
Old 09-13-2011, 07:23 AM

X2 on Mirror Lake, its full of bass, try a jig and rubber grub. only a couple miles from Kaslo, and you can stop at Ainsworth hot springs for a soak on the way back.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-13-2011, 09:56 AM

Well I came out to the Kootenays for the long weekend and am still here. It's my home originally. Not looking forward to going back to Calgary anytime soon. I fished 6 rivers/streams so far and 2 lakes and have only been out on a boat twice. There hasn't been a day I haven't fished.

I highly recommend going for a drive through the 'loop'. It's so beautiful, you might not even want to fish.

1.Take the Kootenay bay ferry across to Balfour. Stop and see Randy and Truus at the Gill & Gift right in the ferry parking lot on the Balfour side and pick up any supplies you need.

2. Head north along the west side of the lake to Kaslo. You will pass coffee creek, Ainsworth hot springs and just before Kaslo is Mirror lake. If you like fish and chips, JB's at Woodbury Resort is second to none. If you want to see a sight you can't imagine, drive up to the Kokanee Glacier. You can fish the lake up there too.

3. The mouth of the Kaslo river can be really good for dollies from shore. From Kaslo, take the road that goes to New Denver and Slocan lake. A beautiful drive. Lots of brookies and rainbows in the Kaslo river along the way. You'll see some nice pools. As you near the top there are 2 small lakes. The first is Fish lake and the second is Bear lake. I was at Fish lake on the weekend and saw a caddis hatch. There were 1000's of rainbows jumping at the same time for hours. Spinners or a bobber with maggots or a grass hopper and you won't be able to keep them off. Also a frog hatch. Kids were feeding the fish baby frogs 5 feet from shore. Bear lake is the same. At the end of the road you come to New Denver.

4. There is a creek that runs into Slocan lake in New Denver and in Silverton. Toss a bobber with a worm, maggots or hopper into the current and let it take it out in the lake. Every year someone gets a 20 lber off shore, never fails. Or try a Kamlooper spoon, gold and orange with black spots.

5. Head up the Slocan valley along the Slocan river. River's open right now; single barbless hook and catch and release. Used to live on this river. Got dozens of 14" - 20" rainbows fly fishing is twice so far. Brother did well on the Kamlooper spin casting too.

6. At the Junction in South Slocan you can turn right to go to Castlegar or left to Nelson. Might be a bit of your way to fish the Columbia in Castlegar so turn towards Nelson. About a mile you'll see the Dam Inn Pub. Right on that road and your at the South Slocan Pool. All shore fishers there. Big rainbows. That's the Kootenay River.

7. Continue on to Nelson and Balfour and back on the ferry.

This drive can be done in a day but if your like me and have to stop and fish everywhere, it can take a month, LOL.

Have Fun!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
duck has shore fishing for bass and perch and sunfish.
St marys river is just over the range on Gray creek pass...cutties
Goat river is near Creston...cutties
Mirror lake is a great spot for shore fishing north of Balfour...Bass
Queens bay point is popular for bobber and worm fisherman on the Koot...RBT
The mouth of Coffee creek is good also on koot lake...check creek regs.
Check with the Balfour beach inn...they probably will let you fish their docks.....good for whitefish and all the squaw fish you can stand.
The narrows on the Koot river just past Nelson is also good shore fishng.
Or take the 1 hour drive to castlsgar and fish the Columbia for rainbows and walleye...its prime bobber and hopper season right now.

Dont give up.....your in fishermans pardise
There's walleye in that secton of the columbia?! damn..... I never fished it, but I didn't know there was much walleye in that area of BC. Learn something new everyday I guess.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofficer View Post
There's walleye in that secton of the columbia?! damn..... I never fished it, but I didn't know there was much walleye in that area of BC. Learn something new everyday I guess.
yaa...right up to Hugh and Brilliant.
Alot of the locals call them Sqauws with teeth and heave them into the bushes.
They were illegally introduced into the columbia and okanogan rivers but have turned into a huge fishery state side. Especially down around Dalles were 10lb+ fish are common and numerous 15lb fish get caught also.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofficer View Post
I've had many days of hundred plus walleye on the Columbia by Castlegar. Right now is a great time to fish for them.

Has anyone else ever caught a walleye from the Kettle River by Christina Lake?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:13 PM

Rent a boat, I can't remember the name right now , but its the first marina north of Destiny bay. its like 10 minutes from you. or at woodberry on the other side of the lake, just 15min drive north of Belfore. or you might be able to get a quick fix at Scotty's, or Gray creek.