Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-11-2011, 10:56 PM

Default Leader links

Does anybody use leader links to attach the leader to the fly line. Why do I have so much trouble connecting them! Are there differnt sizes?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:16 AM

what the heck is a leader link? use a nail knot.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:50 AM

Are you talking about a braided loop connection? I tried those and they didn't work for me. They're so limp it makes it hard to turn over your cast. I find tying a perfection loop in the end of my fly line is easy and still casts well.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:35 PM

Default Leader Links

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercatcher View Post
Does anybody use leader links to attach the leader to the fly line. Why do I have so much trouble connecting them! Are there differnt sizes?
If you are talking about the little plastic torpedo shaped connectors they are the cats meow for leader connections. Are you using a tapered leader to connect to the link? The connector has 2 portals - 1 is for the flyline and 1 is for the leader - they are different diametres. Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:28 PM

Just tried my first one this summer and am really liking it. And, I don't need to tie a nail knot! Rick.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:48 PM

swival?
Old 09-12-2011, 11:29 PM

No not a swivel. It's a small nylon elongated bead sort of thing. You pass the fly line in one end tie a knot in it and pull it back into the link. Then push your leader in the other end, tie a knot and pull it back into the link. Very simple connection and works well. A guide showed them to me. I think they are made by eagle claw but not certain. I'll see if I still have the package. Rick.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick. View Post
No not a swivel. It's a small nylon elongated bead sort of thing. You pass the fly line in one end tie a knot in it and pull it back into the link. Then push your leader in the other end, tie a knot and pull it back into the link. Very simple connection and works well. A guide showed them to me. I think they are made by eagle claw but not certain. I'll see if I still have the package. Rick.
They are made by Scientific Anglers, I used them lots before the fly lines started coming with welded loops. I didn't want to cut the loops off to continue using the quick release snap so stopped using them as the leaders are also coming with end loops now. I never do a nail knot anymore, just do the loop to loop connection. Not as quick as the snap but I have enough different reels and lines now that I don't have to bother to swap leaders anymore. I still miss the ease of use though and notice that they don't sell them anymore so it must have not been popular enough.

I never had a problem connecting them but I did have a problem when I needed to get the knot back out of the snap to reuse it. I also liked how it was color coded to see what weight leader you had on.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:38 PM

Had a look tonight and they are made by Eagle Claw and called leader links. I think I got them at Wholesale Sports (fly shop) in Calgary but can't remember for certain. Rick.