Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-11-2011, 09:53 PM

Default Police Outpost and the nerve of some people

Just got back from an almost perfect holiday at Police Outpost, I've attached some photos at the end to at least end this post with the bright side. Only one thing that ruined the ending and I'm hoping some of you will watch out for it.

The story is as follows. We got to Police on Thursday, campsite is almost empty so we had our choice of sites, score! Setup pontoon get fishing, got into a few fish but nothing large as I was trying to figure out what to use. There's two docks at Police Outpost where many people park their boats overnight which I did as well with my pontoon boat on all the nights. So last night I did some full moon night fishing, then parked the pontoon boat and tied it up at the dock. This morning before sunset I head out to the dock, untie the pontoon and go to lower the trolling motor, it's not there, it's missing! I stare at disbelief, then think to myself, maybe I unrigged it and put it in the truck last night, look in the truck, nope not there. I got this horrible feeling that there's got to be a logical explaination but finally come to the realization that yup, some bastard stole it in the middle of the night.

I've been trying to try to make some sense of it all day. Police Lake is pretty far from Cardston and fairly remote. Almost everyone at the camp seemed to have boats and had it parked there overnight for the past few days. My trolling motor is nothing fancy, in fact the battery that they left behind costed more than the motor. I had also left my entire fly vest and gear (minus rods) in the Fish Cat compartment which was untouched. I asked the other boat owners and nothing else was stolen it seems but apparently there have been thefts there before. I just don't get how someone could spend gas money to drive out there in the middle of the night only to steal a trolling motor. I guess there's a chance it could have been one of the other campers but we met/seen at least half of them and they were mostly all retired folks.

So if anyone gets offered a 30lb Minn Kota trolling motor for cheap, check the serial number and see if it's J117MK01064. If it is, kick them really hard in the nuts, or if's a she, then a good slap across the face for me. Then call the police

And here's some of the nicer photos from the holiday, weather was almost perfect, fishing was decent. Lots of 12-14 inchers, largest was 18" and beautiful colors. It's a shame they are thinking of changing the lake from a trophy lake back to a regular stocked lake. The fish in there were awesome fighters, even the little guys.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:31 PM

That sucks, sorry about your bad luck.

I have a new 38 lb minnkota that I am not using that you are welcome to use if you need one. Pm me.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-11-2011, 10:45 PM

Someone didn't drive out there to steal it. somebody there saw it, waited till dark, then made it disappear... I don't leave either of my boats in the water unattended for more than a couple hours. and if I'm doing that, its within eyesight and still take all the expensive fishing gear out. Way too easy to grab a $2000 tackle box, or electric motor, or even the battery etc... Everything is small and expensive... I just find it easier to trailer up and not have to unload all that stuff....
Old 09-11-2011, 10:51 PM

Sorry to hear that Slingshotz. That's a sting that is all too familiar with me these days, it really sucks getting ripped off.

It's good to know there are great people like Ken who more than make up for the nitwits that steal from others.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:57 PM

not sure of your location, but if you are in the Camrose (45min from edmonton) area, I also have a 50lb minnkota sitting there that I won't be using until next year, if you want to borrow it. Just fire me a PM

Edit: Ken, you are one hell of a man! Don't know you, but always see you trying to help others. And motivating others to do the same. It will come back to you some day! I have A LOT of respect for you even though I don't know you personally...
Old 09-12-2011, 12:06 AM

I don't trust leaving my stuff unattended anywhere anymore for that reason. There are far to many thieves around.

If you are in the Lethbridge area I can borrow you my 32 lbs thrust electric that is just sitting in my garage. I have only used it a few times in the last couple years on my 12 foot tinner and if I happen to need an electric I have a 45 lbs one on my walleye boat for backtrolling that I can use.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:05 AM

Check Kijiji. There's a couple 30 lb Minn Kotas for sale in edmonton area.

My cousin had his bike stolen a little while back and found the guys on Kijiji, called the cops and got his bike back.

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ313308831

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ312716371
Old 09-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Banned

Sorry about your bad luck.

I went out in the boat on Saturday and left my sandels on my lift walkway. When I was coming in I saw a couple of people walking off of the pier. I put my boat on the lift and noticed that my sandles were gone. Walking back off the pier I found my sandles at the end of the pier. I figure that the two people that I saw had them and dropped them when they saw me coming back in. Frickin people.......did he really need a pair of sandles that bad?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fisherman guy View Post
sorry to hear that slingshotz. That's a sting that is all too familiar with me these days, it really sucks getting ripped off.

It's good to know there are great people like ken who more than make up for the nitwits that steal from others.
x 2....
Old 09-12-2011, 06:07 PM

sorry to hear that happened to you...I was working there in about '82 when we had a complaint of a boat motor missing..it was some guys that came in at night and took the motor..got a vehicle description but no plate number..about 2 weeks later my partner nabbed the culprits who had returned to the scene of the crime!!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:16 PM

I just noticed this ad. on Kijiji and it seems a little odd that it is never used and only $50

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ313582368

You may want to check into it a bit more and see if its yours.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I just noticed this ad. on Kijiji and it seems a little odd that it is never used and only $50

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ313582368

You may want to check into it a bit more and see if its yours.
Yeah, something fishy about that. Hard to tell from the pic but IMO it looks lightly used. Also, something I noticed is when I bought my motor im SURE the clamps were screwed all the way in...this one they are all the way out. That doesn't really mean anything but I thought it seemed odd.

Sorry to hear about your motor. You can get a prowler 30/30 at BPS for 80-100 bucks, I love mine, never had an issue with it.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:12 PM

Did anyone save the Kijiji ad for the Police? Maybe someone in Calgary could go check it out, see if the serial number is the same?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-12-2011, 09:14 PM

ill contact him
Old 09-12-2011, 11:43 PM

Yeah that is the exact one I had. I had setup a Kijiji alert for the motor but they spelled it Mini instead of Minn which leads me to believe that they might not be a fisherperson. Mine was definitely not in pristine like new condition, the prop and bottom fin was a little scraped up from hitting rocks near shore and getting dragged up a few times by accident on the launch. It's hard to tell the condition of the fin and prop in their photo.

It's already had 83 visits and that price is a little on the low side for a "new" motor so I'm hoping it's still available, even if it isn't mine. I'm going to try contacting them as well.

Thanks all for noticing the ad, the people on this forum are awesome and keep surprising me all the time.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:40 AM

I am hoping to entice you into the upcoming PIF thread, so here goes.
If that motor is not yours but it will work for you, give me your paypal information and I will buy it for you.
Since you would not take my motor, this is not debatable.

PIF is a gift and you must accept. (as long as the $50.00 one is not beat to hell)

I await your pm. Ask Caber or Mudbug if you want to argue with me.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:25 AM

Well I just checked Kijiji and the ad is already gone. Did anyone manage to get the phone number from the ad? Definitely seems dodgy now.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:25 AM

Yeah and if they took the ad down, that means they've seen this and are probably members of this forum, considering how fast it was taken down. Sneaky....
Old 09-13-2011, 12:55 PM

or it was such a good deal they had a ton of requests
for it & sold it right away.

wish i had written down the phone number when i looked at it.
they had other stuff for sale as well but just household stuff.

orv.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Will, this totally sucks. Next time you'll have to have Luna sleep on the pontoon boat. She would only lick them to death.

I am heading down to the coast to do some salmon fishing and won't be using my motor for a few weeks. So if you are thinking of going out in the next while your more than welcome to borrow my 46lb thrust Minn Kota. You know how to reach me.

Rob
Old 09-13-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Will, this totally sucks. Next time you'll have to have Luna sleep on the pontoon boat. She would only lick them to death.

I am heading down to the coast to do some salmon fishing and won't be using my motor for a few weeks. So if you are thinking of going out in the next while your more than welcome to borrow my 46lb thrust Minn Kota. You know how to reach me.

Rob
Screw the pontoon, I want to go salmon fishing too! I still have yet to hook into a salmon, maybe next year....