Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-11-2011, 12:38 PM

Default Fly tying supplies

For you fly tiers out there, where would be my best bet for mail order supplies? Thanks
Old 09-11-2011, 02:53 PM

eBay...some great deals on there for just about anything...many sellers have full-time, big online eBay shops selling nothing but supplies.

Anything in particular that you are looking for? I assume that you are likely in some far-flung corner of the province with no local shops?
Old 09-11-2011, 03:27 PM

check out docs fly box, his shipping rate is only 3 bucks for everything dosen't matter how much, he is a wholesaler out of the states, also he has a store on ebay, his prices are very cheap compare to canada, all his products are name brands and his packages are alot bigger than the ones sold in canada, i usually spend 4-5 hundred bucks a month on his supplies , been a customer now for a couple of years and never had a problem, for hooks and beads try togens hooks out of surrey b.c, there resonably price and better quality than the hooks use in the flies you buy from ws or bp.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
eBay...some great deals on there for just about anything...many sellers have full-time, big on line eBay shops selling nothing but supplies.

Anything in particular that you are looking for? I assume that you are likely in some far-flung corner of the province with no local shops?
Yes Med. Hat, I've been out of it for a number of years, when I quit, dubbing was trendy for me, a chenille wrapper. lol Now I see foam bits and rubber legs and latex sheets etc. All very heady stuff for an old, will I tie a half back a full back or go for that new fangled woolly bugger, guy.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat111 View Post
check out docs fly box, his shipping rate is only 3 bucks for everything dosen't matter how much, he is a wholesaler out of the states, also he has a store on ebay, his prices are very cheap compare to canada, all his products are name brands and his packages are alot bigger than the ones sold in canada, i usually spend 4-5 hundred bucks a month on his supplies , been a customer now for a couple of years and never had a problem, for hooks and beads try togens hooks out of surrey b.c, there resonably price and better quality than the hooks use in the flies you buy from ws or bp.
Holy carpola

That is $6000 a year.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:40 PM

flymart.ca has alot of stuff I can't find elsewhere and customer service has been above and beyond.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Now I see foam bits and rubber legs and latex sheets etc. All very heady stuff for an old, will I tie a half back a full back or go for that new fangled woolly bugger, guy.
I know the feeling...the first time I saw Etha-wing, I was unsure, but intrigued, and ended up ordering some just to try it out.

Now the Hat may have little locally for shops selling tying supplies, but get creative, and check out local craft shops, and anything involving hunting (a great way to source out feathers and fur)...not all tying supplies come from a fly shop.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Holy carpola

That is $6000 a year.
That is a fair bit more than most of us, but it is not that difficult to have $10000+ tied up in tying supplies after 2-3 years....$20 here, $50 there...it adds up. For example, thread is relatively cheap, but I could probably count 110 spools out of my supplies right now...so roughly $300 worth...keeping a decent supply on hand of almost anything you might need takes some cash. And god forbid that you take a shine to tying some of the pretty salmon flies (like the one in my avatar)...the feathers for those are not cheap.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
That is a fair bit more than most of us, but it is not that difficult to have $10000+ tied up in tying supplies after 2-3 years....$20 here, $50 there...it adds up. For example, thread is relatively cheap, but I could probably count 110 spools out of my supplies right now...so roughly $300 worth...keeping a decent supply on hand of almost anything you might need takes some cash. And god forbid that you take a shine to tying some of the pretty salmon flies (like the one in my avatar)...the feathers for those are not cheap.
X2 I sometimes think I am a Fly tying materials collector !
Old 09-13-2011, 01:31 AM

Smile

Hi my name is Rob and I too am a fly tying material junkie. I can't help myself. I have so much tying stuff that I could never use it all up in 4 lifetimes never mind just mine.

I was going to tie up some flies in the morning for pink salmon fishing next week. But I need some beads in 5/32. Well I have a couple of dozen. But I thought I had better go get some anyway. But I have been holding off. Why you ask???? Well if I go I will surely spend another $150. I just can't help myself.

Thanks for listening. Anyone else have something to share. Maybe that's what we really need. How about a fly tying materials swap?

Had to do a quick edit. Here is a great fly tying supplier. I love their UV hare's ear blends. Absolutely killer dubbings. Lots of great supplies. http://www.flytyingspecialties.com/

Here is another good one. http://www.rainysflies.com/foamproducts.php

Rob

Last edited by Kingfisher; 09-13-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
For you fly tiers out there, where would be my best bet for mail order supplies? Thanks
There is this place in the u.s that has awesome deals. its called www.mudhole.com lots of everything, anything u could dream of they have. its the shipping and the waiting that sucks. cabelas is good as well. not as cheap but they are good.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:32 AM

West Winds or the Fishin Hole
then
Dan Baileys
Old 09-13-2011, 10:47 AM

Hagens fishing supplies is the cheapest i found so far.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:16 PM

Thanks for all the ideas guys!