Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-12-2011, 10:36 AM

Default poontoon boats or float tubes

Hey there, i am looking for a pontoon boat or float tube asap, anyone have any tips or no which ones are the great ones. Seen alot of people with them out on lakes and rivers, they look awsome, very quiet to get around in as well, float tubes im not so sure, may be a bit harder to cast from one, maby colder as well, im open for anything though, thx for the information.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:11 AM

In my opinion tubes and pontoon boats have two different purposes. I personally think that tubes should never be used on moving water, at least the kind we have in most of Alberta. If a person's feet ever got hooked up on some junk on the bottom, there's a good chance they're going to drown. Pontoon boats on the other hand seem ideal for moving water.

I'd rather have a pontoon boat on a lake as well, but I do not own one because most of the lakes that I used my tube on require a hike. Tubes seem ideal for hike in lakes, or smaller lakes, but I wouldn't want one on a large body of water that gets windy. I wouldn't hike to most lakes with a pontoon boat though.

I think the choice depends on how and where you like to fish!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Banned

Buy both, you will need both over the years.

Then buy a fishing kayak.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:19 PM

I agree with Scott that float tubes should never be used on moving water - ever but they really shine on small protected lakes or on larger lakes if you stick close to shore and there is little boat traffic.

If you are only going to buy one then buy the pontoon boat because you can use it safely on moving water and most still water locations.

However I agree that both are better than one alone.

I use a Fish Cat 4 and a canoe and like this combination
Old 09-12-2011, 12:31 PM

Look at the dave scadden boats.
they are a little pricey but I wouldnt buy anything else now that I have one.
I am in Lethbridge if you want to take a look at it.
Wayne
http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/home.html
Old 09-12-2011, 12:39 PM

Getting tired of sinking in the mud on shore Shawn? Funny thing is, you'll get out on the water and cast your flies in the same places you're casting to now.

How much do you want to spend? If you're looking at a couple of hundred, get a float tube, if you're looking over $500, get a pontoon. Whatever you do, don't cheap out on a pontoon (lower than $550). The Outcast Streamer XL is the absolute lowest model I'd go with. The Fishcat 9IR is an excellent boat for around $650 but if you can afford it, look into the 10IR Stand-up or a Panther. If you really want to spend some $$$, look into the Scadden boats (Northfork Outdoors). Watch Kijiji and the B&S threads on the forums as there are good deals to be had, especially this time of year.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 09-12-2011, 12:58 PM

For small lakes a tube is wonderful, it's light to carry in if necc, and on hot days it'll keep you cool. It is a little harder on the constitution in colder water. We got on to one lake when the ice was breaking, took a while to be able to walk properly after getting out. Had the same problem with the lower legs in a pontoon in the Bow in October. If you get onto larger water, the pontoon is the winner. It can ride out ugly stuff, but, it can be a bit of a lost cause against a stiff wind, even when rowing. But, you can put a trolling motor on the bigger ones--and that makes a big difference in the wind.
Speed control in the wind is a little better in the tube, lower profile. A wind sock solves most of that issue in a pontoon.
A tube limits how much you can carry out there with you, if you want to go all day, you can carry most anything you want on the pontoon boat.
I would not use a tube on a lake with waterskiers in it, too hard to see it. Some fishing boats are not too observant, either, you do need to be aware of them.
And yet, a tube is like a couch on the water. Tough to stay awake some days.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:51 PM

Shawn, not sure if this one is available still but you may want to look into it, the price is right.

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ304231105

This boat is the same as the Panther but a foot shorter (8'). Duel bladders and only needs three inches of water to float it, tracks nice as well. A new 9IR at the fishing hole is going for $620 and the 10IR for $800.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
For small lakes a tube is wonderful, it's light to carry in if necc, and on hot days it'll keep you cool. It is a little harder on the constitution in colder water. We got on to one lake when the ice was breaking, took a while to be able to walk properly after getting out. Had the same problem with the lower legs in a pontoon in the Bow in October. If you get onto larger water, the pontoon is the winner. It can ride out ugly stuff, but, it can be a bit of a lost cause against a stiff wind, even when rowing. But, you can put a trolling motor on the bigger ones--and that makes a big difference in the wind.
Speed control in the wind is a little better in the tube, lower profile. A wind sock solves most of that issue in a pontoon.
A tube limits how much you can carry out there with you, if you want to go all day, you can carry most anything you want on the pontoon boat.
I would not use a tube on a lake with waterskiers in it, too hard to see it. Some fishing boats are not too observant, either, you do need to be aware of them.
And yet, a tube is like a couch on the water. Tough to stay awake some days.
X2 on this..if your a person who isnt that old and you dont have that age disadvantage a belly boat is fine ...but I went to a pontoon as I was finding the same problem with the hips and legs..even with my leaky 6mil neoprenes
Old 09-12-2011, 06:13 PM

As someone already posted do not go cheap,

Look around you can get pontoons now a days that can go from a front steering lake troller to a stand-up pond caster in seconds. It's just a matter of how much are you willing to spend.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:28 PM

Since your spend 1600 bucks per month on fishing stuff...go big or go home. Get one of those big-azz two person ones from WSS
Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Shawn, not sure if this one is available still but you may want to look into it, the price is right.

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ304231105

This boat is the same as the Panther but a foot shorter (8'). Duel bladders and only needs three inches of water to float it, tracks nice as well. A new 9IR at the fishing hole is going for $620 and the 10IR for $800.
Thankyou Doc, great information everyone, yea, i fell in today releasing a 25 incher my fattest fish rainbow ever @ 7lbs and wanted to saftly release it so what can ya do but sink...
Old 09-13-2011, 12:06 AM

Default floaty tuber

If you do go for the float tube (as mentioned - superior generally for ease of packing, especially up to high mountain lakes, less expensive, and less prone to wind issues), YOU'LL WANT TO HAVE NEOPRENE WADERS. Failing that, pack in about 4 sets of thick fleece pants and wear 'em all. A water bladder full of hot water does wonders for the earlier part of the day too. Shove it inside your waders on top of your lap. Your fleece layers should keep it from scalding your skin, and when it cools, you've got drinking water, and by then hopefully some afternoon sun!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:51 AM

If you can wait Costco carries poons every spring. They are usually around $400 and have good options. I have one I bought 4 years ago and have floated hundereds of km on it with no problems. 4 of my freinds have also bought them over the years.
10" Fuse Carbon Blade Stabilizer