Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-25-2021, 08:34 AM

Default Best practices for ice fishing releases

What are veryone's tips and tricks to keep fish healthy while ice fishing?
-wet hands before holding
-limit the time the fish is out of water (freezing gills and not breathing)
-don't (try not to) touch gills

I saw on the ACA Facebook page where someone made a live well in the ice where there is water but no opening. I think its a good way for some one to slip and fall or at least get a wet foot. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:40 AM

Well first off you could just fish like me some days and just not catch anything. This way you don't have to release them!

All joking aside one thing that I like to do and I notice the fish take off faster if I do this consistently and that is keeping the fish inside of the tent that I am fishing in. I find it keeps them out of the elements and is not as rough on them. I also keep pliers in an easy to access place like a pocket or a compartment on the side of the tent so that I can grab them quickly and pop the hook out as fast as possible. I also grab them with my bare wet hand because that is supposed to be the easiest on them

Just my two cents.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
-limit the time the fish is out of water (freezing gills and not breathing)
-don't (try not to) touch gills

I saw on the ACA Facebook page where someone made a live well in the ice where there is water but no opening. I think its a good way for some one to slip and fall or at least get a wet foot. Thanks in advance.
I believe I heard somewhere, probably here that a live well is illegal if your releasing the fish. I could be talking out of my @ss. But worth looking into.

I will just add that deep taken hooks are better off cut off instead of playing dentist on them and stressing the fish out by having the fish out of the water for longer then needed.

If you can avoid laying the fish on the ice in cold temps is a good practice as well.

I always have my spreaders and haemostats on hand, if fishing for pike with buddies the spreaders and haemostats live on the table. When a flag goes, someone runs for the flag another grabs bait, haemostats and spreaders. This all equates to less time out of the water.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:13 AM
Banned

The idea of keeping fish in water is to prevent freezing. In order to clean a frozen fish it must be thawed, skinned and gutted. If you are going to dine on that unit there are no problems. If you are going to package it and throw it in the freezer that, in my view, is when the problems start.

I would advise you to kill and bleed the fish before storing it in near freezing water. Of course this is all counter productive if you toss your catch in the back of the pick-up for the drive home. Any fish I'm bringing home get cleaned and processed at the lake.

Free
Old 01-25-2021, 10:17 AM

get one of these and don't bring out of water

https://www.amazon.ca/Performance-To...47531417&psc=1

David
Old 01-25-2021, 10:19 AM

Unless you want a pic you can unhook them in the hole. If you wand a pic make sure you are set up before you bring them onto the ice. Have a mat ready for them take pic and release. I am going to try circle hooks on my next trip for pike,should prevent deep hooking in most cases.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:21 AM

I find the best method is lose them in the hole. They go back down real fast!!
Old 01-25-2021, 11:00 AM

Good thread...I'm seeing way too many terrible habits in pictures on FB.

-No lip grips....ever! (I saw a pic recently where someone used PLIERS as a lip grip...I was almost sick to my stomach)

-No vertical holds! Horizontal only

-Hook out, quick pic, back in the hole... as fast as possible.

-Don't weigh your fish....please. Jesus, that scale is AWFUL for them. There's a reason everyone goes by length measurement and not weight these days.

And my number one thing: Don't fish deeper than 20 feet....pleeeeeeeeeeease! Barotrauma is real and it's awful. (note: Not applicable for Lakers or Bullies)
Old 01-25-2021, 11:23 AM

biggest things are keeping your hands out of the gills/gill plate and not fishing for burbs, walleye, perch, or pike in over 30 feet of water.

Putting fish on the ice even for a few seconds if it's -15 like right now will freeze off their protective mucus layer and leave them more open to infections, same goes for absorbent or abrasive gloves.

if you must weigh them, bring a fine mesh or rubber mesh net and weigh the net with the fish in it then subtract the net (rather than hanging the fish from the scale by the gill plate).

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 01-25-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
The idea of keeping fish in water is to prevent freezing. In order to clean a frozen fish it must be thawed, skinned and gutted. If you are going to dine on that unit there are no problems. If you are going to package it and throw it in the freezer that, in my view, is when the problems start.

I would advise you to kill and bleed the fish before storing it in near freezing water. Of course this is all counter productive if you toss your catch in the back of the pick-up for the drive home. Any fish I'm bringing home get cleaned and processed at the lake.

Free
We have size limits where total processing isn’t allowed. You can gut and remove gills and bones for that matter but must be able to measure length.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:22 PM

The best way is to drill your fishing hole. Then drill another hole 40” away. Between those two holes drill a connecting series of half drilled holes and clean out the slush so it’s nice clear water filling the staging area. It’s not a live well if they can swim down and out of it. So a fish comes up your hole into the staging area unhook your lure with them in staging. Lift them up from staging for a picture if your really need one, then back into staging and down the other hole. Biggest thing with fish in winter is wind chill out of water freezing there eyes gills and fins many fish eventually die from frostbite on there eyes/ gills. Just think how painful it would be to freeze your lungs or your eyeball.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
This is not a viable option if you're actually catching fish.

Quote:
That's because Konrads do it, and people think if they do it maybe they too can catch a world record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remps17 View Post
I will just add that deep taken hooks are better off cut off instead of playing dentist on them and stressing the fish out by having the fish out of the water for longer then needed.
Some of us are better at playing dentist than others. I'm not sending a 14" walleye back down the hole with my $11 Rippin' Rap back in it's gills. It's not living either way.

Barbless hooks make a huge difference, and hopefully Fish & Wildlife are able to get the federal amendment they discussed last week to enforce barbless.

I'd say the best practice for ice fishing releases is to have several sets of pliers around...one clipped on your bibs, on in the tent, one in the sled, etc. Most of the fish I've released but questioned their survival is because I struggled getting hooks out because I couldn't find my pliers.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post

That's because Konrads do it, and people think if they do it maybe they too can catch a world record.

Some of us are better at playing dentist than others. I'm not sending a 14" walleye back down the hole with my $11 Rippin' Rap back in it's gills. It's not living either way.

Barbless hooks make a huge difference, and hopefully Fish & Wildlife are able to get the federal amendment they discussed last week to enforce barbless.

I'd say the best practice for ice fishing releases is to have several sets of pliers around...one clipped on your bibs, on in the tent, one in the sled, etc. Most of the fish I've released but questioned their survival is because I struggled getting hooks out because I couldn't find my pliers.
Yes are throwing the fish on the ice for five minutes while you rummage to your tent to look for your pliers always have a couple pairs

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post

Yup I wouldn’t be leaving any kind of lure in a fish either. I was referring to single treble or a single hook. I think fish have a better chance passing a small hook then someone keeping the fish out of water and messing around their gills. Barbless helps a bunch while playing dentist. I think they will get the barbless rule back in the regs.

The livewell thing is fairly common in Manitoba where I grew up, not necessary in my opinion.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:39 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Back In the day ya gaffed'em...bonked'em...and ate'em....then told long winded bs stories of how big it was....times sure have changed eh!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-25-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Back In the day ya gaffed'em...bonked'em...and ate'em....then told long winded bs stories of how big it was....times sure have changed eh!
What you just described makes my stomach turn. Really glad Catch And Release has become so commonplace...
Old 01-25-2021, 09:43 PM

Default Hook

From what I have read the fish dissolve the hook. So better to leave hook in if you can. If you can,t , like he says bonked'em...and ate'em so won,t suffer. Thanks 58thecat
Old 01-25-2021, 10:51 PM

+1 on wetting hands and protecting thier "slime". In the late fall I saw 5 different fish in bad shape with a white algea growth right in areas they would be handled. Very lethagic and bumping into rocks and stuff. 2 were over 20inches, very sad.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
From what I have read the fish dissolve the hook. So better to leave hook in if you can. If you can,t , like he says bonked'em...and ate'em so won,t suffer. Thanks 58thecat
As long as its in your legal right to keep him. Even if he is gonna die but undersized he still has to go back in the water. Nature will take over and he will be eaten by other wildlife or his own brothers and sisters. Let nature takes its course.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-26-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
What you just described makes my stomach turn. Really glad Catch And Release has become so commonplace...
Different times is all....you would have done the same if you needed to eat.

People who know me know I take care of the fish I catch to ensure a safe release so the fish has the best chance to survive unless I am at a place that legally I can keep and eat then yes I will enjoy a shore lunch.....sometimes when I read these threads on expert handling of fish and how to's I question why you even wet a line fully knowing that you have increased the odds of killing a fish even before you landed it.....I get it but ease up on each other.....give nice advice

Old 01-26-2021, 06:42 AM

Hooks do not de solve in freshwater. They may pass them, shake it out over time, become permanently in the fish, some cause major infection and others cause prolonged suffering then death

Best to try to use set ups that limit deep hooking and if legal keep deeply hooked fish
Old 01-26-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
sometimes when I read these threads on expert handling of fish and how to's I question why you even wet a line fully knowing that you have increased the odds of killing a fish even before you landed it.....I get it but ease up on each other.....give nice advice
+1
Old 01-26-2021, 09:03 AM

So many opinions on how to handle it. Its difficult for many new fisherman to understand which way is the right way when they are shown different methods by different people.

Some people say fish grips is ok, some people say holding fish by the Gill plate, (not the gills).
Many people say one hand under the belly and one hand holding the tail end. (which is probably the best ) Thats if you can actually hold him without dropping him 3 feet.

so what is the right way???

Respect wildlife

Last edited by HuyFishin; 01-26-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:07 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
So many opinions on how to handle it. Its difficult for many new fisherman to understand which way is the right way when they are shown different methods by different people.

Some people say fish grips is ok, some people say holding fish by the Gill plate, (not the kills).
Many people say one hand under the belly and one hand holding the tail end. (which is probably the best ) Thats if you can actually hold him without dropping him 3 feet.

so what is the right way???
handle it like you would your pecker? Just a thought but then again maybe not

Old 01-26-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Hooks do not de solve in freshwater. They may pass them, shake it out over time, become permanently in the fish, some cause major infection and others cause prolonged suffering then death

Best to try to use set ups that limit deep hooking and if legal keep deeply hooked fish
I guess it depends upon what the hook is made of but yeah always try to have a hook set limiting deep but man that so tuff to do....hate working my arse off to get the fish ready to be set free knowing it will die or is dead already when I could just eat it....dam if you do and dam if you don't...nothing is perfect.

barbless, be prepared to remove the hooks and get it back in the water soonest....

Old 01-26-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
handle it like you would your pecker? Just a thought but then again maybe not
hahaha fish is gonna swim back down and tell his buddy he felt violated.

Respect wildlife
Old 01-26-2021, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
We have size limits where total processing isn’t allowed. You can gut and remove gills and bones for that matter but must be able to measure length.
You may want to check your guide to the regulations; page 25 "Cleaning and Transporting fish".
Old 01-26-2021, 10:21 PM

If you aren't keeping them, I release them without lifting them out of the water whenever I can both in open water and on the ice. Pliers take the hook out quickly, and the fish is off to be caught another day.

A lip grip is deadly if used improperly - lifting a heavy fish likely causes some damage to them.

I use a grip once in a while when the fish is still in the water to steady it's head and provide leverage (keeping the jaw still) while I use pliers to remove the hook. This usually happens if the hook is in a little deep or we have something that needs a little attention.

If you are careful, deliberate, and quick, mortality is greatly reduced.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:34 AM
Banned

Default Try this

If you get the pike's head into the hole but are reluctant to grab it by the snout dangle a cotton glove on its nose. Chances are good that it will open his(her) mouth and grab the glove. Pull up!

Free
Old 01-27-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
You may want to check your guide to the regulations; page 25 "Cleaning and Transporting fish".
Cleaning and Transporting Fish
Fish caught in Alberta:
Fish cleaned for storage at other than your permanent residence, or for transport to your permanent residence must not be skinned, cut or packed in a manner that the species cannot be identified, the number of fish cannot be determined, and the total length of every fish subject to a size limit cannot be determined.
Two pieces of fish that are of the same species are considered to be one fish.

Tips:
Carry a cooler and ice for storing whole fish for transport to your permanent residence.
Leave the head, tail and skin attached to fish subject to size limits for accurate length measurements. Internal organs and gills can be removed to preserve quality.
Fish that are not subject to size limits may be filleted, but enough skin must be left on each fillet for species identification purposes.
Never transport fish in a solid frozen block.
REMEMBER
When cleaning fish away from your permanent residence, DO NOT REMOVE evidence of species and, if size limits apply, evidence of length as described above, unless the fish are to be consumed immediately.

Fish caught by someone else:
If you are transporting fish caught by someone else, you must have a bill of lading signed by the angler who caught the fish. This letter must provide the following information:
The licence number, name and signature of the individual who caught the fish,
The number and species of the fish,
The location from which you started and the location to which you are traveling, and
The date on which the fish are being transported.
Fish caught outside of Alberta:
When traveling within Alberta and transporting fish that were taken elsewhere, you must be able to support your claim that those fish were caught outside of Alberta.