Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-23-2021, 09:25 AM

Default Greed turns to waste

A moose was hit and killed on hwy 2a Thursday. 2 groups of people asked the RCMP officer if they could salvage the meat. Since the first group which consisted of 2 woman asked first they were given the moose. The second man approached the 2 women to inquire if he could have some, but was told that they were taking it all. Out of a chance that they had a change of heart he gave them his contact information and let them know that he lived in Blackfalds and if there was any left he would come back and gladly salvage whatever was left.
Fast forward to Friday morning. The man was headed to Red Deer and while driving by the spot where moose had been he noticed a pile of birds. He stopped to investigate and found out that the women had only salvaged the back straps and one hind quarter and left the rest to spoil.
What a waste. These women took what the wanted and with no respect for others didn’t even bother to contact the man so he could salvage any. A perfect case of waste of a big game animal.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:44 AM

One of the great tragedies of our time.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:12 AM

I knew some people who found a road killed deer and helped themselves to a few cuts. Someone reported them and they ended up being charged. Maybe the carcass was badly mutilated or full of metal and glass bits ? Sometimes one shouldn't be too judgmental

Grizz
Old 01-23-2021, 10:18 AM

If the meat that was left was still good, not all broken by the accident, truly a waste. But reflects western culture. 90%+ are out for ourselves and to screw over our brothers/sisters. Its not just a political debate or firearm debate we are being programmed to hate each others and get that one little step over everyone else.

I can see if the ladies started cutting and realized that they were over matched, just like my eyes and stomach at every buffet or beginning a moose cut. Its a big job, and you need some stamina to do it. Its a big job to debone a moose especially if it is lying on the ground. Still just selfish not to share
Old 01-23-2021, 01:58 PM

If it was to big of a job for the women, they still could have contacted the other gentleman so he could salvage what he could. Talked to the trapper who ended up hauling the rest away for bait and he said it had minimal damage and much of what was left to Roy could have been saved.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:58 PM

Kinda a glass half empty look at it.

Another way to look at it is hey a moose was hit by a car and instead of rotting someone was able to salvage some!
Old 01-23-2021, 02:07 PM

Point is that with a simple and considerate phone call someone else could have benefited and more could of been salvaged.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:40 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

if allowed I too would have left the bruised and banged up meat...I get the choice cuts and the rest is for the critters...win win for all of us.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-23-2021, 03:38 PM

Meh. Lots of unknowns here.

The other parts of the moose could have been mush for all anyone knows.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:43 PM

As pointed out earlier. Trapper who picked it up said most that was left to rot would have been able to salvage for human consumption.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Point is that with a simple and considerate phone call someone else could have benefited and more could of been salvaged.
Maybe they lost the number, wouldn't be unusual in a casual setting. A whole moose would spoil fairly quickly sitting at the side of the road as well. There's a lot of heat in that body,

Grizz
Old 01-23-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Maybe they lost the number, wouldn't be unusual in a casual setting. A whole moose would spoil fairly quickly sitting at the side of the road as well. There's a lot of heat in that body,

Grizz
Agreed. Lots of possibilities that arent greedy or malicious. I am getting tired of people always assuming everyone is out to get everyone else.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
As pointed out earlier. Trapper who picked it up said most that was left to rot would have been able to salvage for human consumption.
No waste at all, the birds and coyotes have to survive as well!!
Old 01-23-2021, 06:56 PM

I guess if the trapper picked it up its not really wasted, but nothing really is.

I cant believe I opened this thread.....lol
Old 01-27-2021, 07:25 AM

TrapperMike, might be your buddies lucky day. There is another moose sitting in Highway 2A's southbound lane ditch, about 200 m north of Precision Drilling. Pretty sure it wasn't there last night so it's recent, wasn't even covered in snow yet.

edit, maybe I"ll send you a PM as well in case you don't see this....
Old 01-27-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Kinda a glass half empty look at it.

Another way to look at it is hey a moose was hit by a car and instead of rotting someone was able to salvage some!
Actually it shows the true nature of the new Society.
Selfish, without regard to others and are finally ready for the cradle to grave takeover!
Just my opinion......
Old 01-27-2021, 09:37 AM

I left goose camp north of tofield to go spotting one morning and when I returned 3 hrs later a cow moose had been hit right near the turn off back to camp.I looked her over an could only find serious head damage.called our local fish an wildlife from the area an was told I could not be issued a permit due to the risk of getting sick from the meat.I begged an pleaded not no dice..no broken legs no skid marks nothing Wrong with that Moose.she layed there for 2 days rotting while the birds an yotes ate on it.What a waste
Old 01-27-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
TrapperMike, might be your buddies lucky day. There is another moose sitting in Highway 2A's southbound lane ditch, about 200 m north of Precision Drilling. Pretty sure it wasn't there last night so it's recent, wasn't even covered in snow yet.

Moose die regular as clockwork on our highways, not a good thing if you're driving. Everyone of those probably represents a written off vehicle and possibly serious in jury to the occupants. Good friend of ours died in a moose collision near Breton some years back. More licenses ?

Grizz
Old 01-27-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

Those Moose and Deer have quite the little sanctuary across the road from Precission drilling . the elk farmer that owns that land does not allow anyone on his place , plus its in the city Limits now .
Old 01-27-2021, 06:39 PM

Just a thought, the original post says the rcmp gave permission to salvage the meat.
Is that within their jurisdiction?
Do they give you any paperwork to transport that game meat that you don't have a license for?
Old 01-27-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Just a thought, the original post says the rcmp gave permission to salvage the meat.
Is that within their jurisdiction?
Do they give you any paperwork to transport that game meat that you don't have a license for?
Yes it is within their jurisdiction.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:46 PM

Shoulda woulda coulda. Fact is a moose was killed by a vehicle and some of it was salvaged. Just because someone doesn't like the fact that it wasn't ALL salvaged does not mean it is a case of waste. How many deer elk moose etc.. are killed on highways/railways every year that don't have any portioned salvaged? I would say the vast majority are left to scavengers. While its use doesn't go to human use, it is still consumed.

having salvaged a bull moose that was killed by an SUV, I can say I got less than 80# of useable meat. The backstraps were jelly, the quarters had so many bone fragments in them they were hardly worth messing with. One leg had over 6 breaks in it. Ribs were shot, didn't even try to get the tender loins. took 3 of us the greater part of a day just to trim into salvageable pieces and grind it.

It's snap judgement to assume greed was involved in this situation without knowing specifics. judgement without knowing all the facts... another shortcoming of modern society
Old 01-27-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Shoulda woulda coulda. Fact is a moose was killed by a vehicle and some of it was salvaged. Just because someone doesn't like the fact that it wasn't ALL salvaged does not mean it is a case of waste. How many deer elk moose etc.. are killed on highways/railways every year that don't have any portioned salvaged? I would say the vast majority are left to scavengers. While its use doesn't go to human use, it is still consumed.

having salvaged a bull moose that was killed by an SUV, I can say I got less than 80# of useable meat. The backstraps were jelly, the quarters had so many bone fragments in them they were hardly worth messing with. One leg had over 6 breaks in it. Ribs were shot, didn't even try to get the tender loins. took 3 of us the greater part of a day just to trim into salvageable pieces and grind it.

It's snap judgement to assume greed was involved in this situation without knowing specifics. judgement without knowing all the facts... another shortcoming of modern society
Agreed
Old 01-28-2021, 12:10 PM

Maybe the girls didn't call because the guy was kind of a dink about it in the first place. Having lost out to a couple of skirts when he thought it should have been given to him? He could have had a negative vibe that they didn't like. I wasn't there so I can't say, but something maybe persuaded them not to call.