Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-20-2021, 04:38 PM

Default draw tag not bought

I heard if a person was drawn for a animal and didn't buy the tag that, that person would not be able to go into the draw next year? Asking for a friend.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:59 PM

No I think he is out of luck.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:04 PM

He can put in for the draw but his priority will be reset to 0
Old 01-20-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
He can put in for the draw but his priority will be reset to 0
This is the way it is right now.
One of the reasons I think we need update the system so you need to put in a credit card # when entering draws so you get drawn, it goes automatically on your credit card.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
One of the reasons I think we need update the system so you need to put in a credit card # when entering draws so you get drawn, it goes automatically on your credit card.
That, or don't let people apply again for any draws until they pay for the tag they drew.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:49 PM

Maybe they had a good reason for not getting tag.Besides they only lowered their priority nobody else’s
Old 01-20-2021, 05:58 PM

they still have to fill out a report or pay 15$ to enter this year's draw.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:11 PM
Banned

It should be an instant charge. That way we get the tree huggers money also.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushbug View Post
Maybe they had a good reason for not getting tag.Besides they only lowered their priority nobody else’s
But they likely kept someone else from drawing, someone that actually wanted the tag.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher Gord View Post
they still have to fill out a report or pay 15$ to enter this year's draw.
What?
Old 01-20-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
This x 2, don't care why he didn't buy his draw tag besides not putting the money for the tag into the big pot, someone else was not awarded a tag because he was, in essence a tag was wasted.

He will go back to a 0 and can still enter the draws this year and I believe he will still have to fill out his hunter harvest reports.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
What?
It's for all draws now, you draw it you need to do a report on it. Otherwise you need to pay before you can enter again.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
It's for all draws now, you draw it you need to do a report on it. Otherwise you need to pay before you can enter again.
I disagree...If you didn't purchase the license there is no requirement to report. You can't report on a harvest or effort if you have no license that allows you to do so.

Quote:
Madatory Harvest and Effort Reporting
It is now a condition of holding a special licence to report hunter harvest and effort. Visit AlbertaRelm.com for more information on how convenient it is to report harvest and effort including the introduction of a new APP.

Harvest and effort information is essential to providing resource managers indicators of overall wildlife populations. Without this information, the department must rely on more intensive and costly wildlife surveys.

Hunters failing to submit harvest and effort survey results for 2020 will be subject to a $15 Survey surcharge payable on their next wildlife certificate purchase.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I disagree...If you didn't purchase the license there is no requirement to report. You can't report on a harvest or effort if you have no license that allows you to do so.
Unpurchased Draw licences require a harvest report.
Kind of redundant, but this is the government's version of going to the can.
Do the paperwork.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-20-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Your allowed to disagree... still have to pay the 15 bucks though. As well you can put a 0 days hunted in the report.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:56 PM
Banned

Charge more for draws and weed out the people who aren’t going to actually use them
Old 01-20-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Charge more for draws and weed out the people who aren’t going to actually use them
It would likely be even more effective to make them pay double for any tags that they don't buy, before they can put in for any future draws.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It would likely be even more effective to make them pay double for any tags that they don't buy, before they can put in for any future draws.

Brain farts?

You both should know by now that current licence allocation numbers are based in part on an expected number that are not purchased.

All your $ demands would do is reduce the number of licences issued.

This solves nothing.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-20-2021, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
You don’t want or need those people in the draw pool
Old 01-20-2021, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Brain farts?

You both should know by now that current licence allocation numbers are based in part on an expected number that are not purchased.

This solves nothing.
What is the percentage that they expect to not purchase the tag?
Old 01-20-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Brain farts?

This solves nothing.
So issue less licenses, and get down to more realistic numbers and less assumptions in managing our game populations..
Old 01-21-2021, 01:08 AM

Default life happens!!

Why would you want to penalize sportsmen and women who have contributed to the system for perhaps decades maybe, then have a legitimate reason for not buying his drawn tag? A lot can happen between draw deadline and hunting season.
I agree we need to get the anti hunters out of the system! But not by penalizing fellow outdoorsmen and women.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post
Why would you want to penalize sportsmen and women who have contributed to the system for perhaps decades maybe, then have a legitimate reason for not buying his drawn tag? A lot can happen between draw deadline and hunting season.
I agree we need to get the anti hunters out of the system! But not by penalizing fellow outdoorsmen and women.
I agree life happens. I am one of those bad people. I was drawn for my mule buck last year but did not purchase the tag as I spent the entire month of November finishing harvest and having to deal with the aftermath of drying every bushel. Didn’t have a spare moment to hunt and did not know in June when I went into the draw that my November was going to end up that way.

Is there a way to give someone else my draw tag if I an unable to use it? I sure would have let someone else use it if I legally could.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post
Agreed.
Sometimes I’ve had to move heaven and earth to hunt on my draw tag.
I was lucky that I could in those cases. Maybe someone has just a few more problems than I did and they can’t hunt on the tag. Like was walking Buffalo mentioned, the government makes allowances for that when they issue the tags.

The biggest problem “might” be anti hunters buying tags and burning them, big deal, that’s accounted for by issuing more tags. Let them burn their money if they want.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Unpurchased Draw licences require a harvest report.
Kind of redundant, but this is the government's version of going to the can.
Do the paperwork.
Quote:
Your allowed to disagree... still have to pay the 15 bucks though. As well you can put a 0 days hunted in the report.
The regulation is quite clear that you have to report harvest/effort IF YOU HOLD A SPECIAL LICENSE. If you do not have a license, what is there to report on? Guys..........where are you reading otherwise?
Old 01-21-2021, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
I agree life happens. I am one of those bad people. I was drawn for my mule buck last year but did not purchase the tag as I spent the entire month of November finishing harvest and having to deal with the aftermath of drying every bushel. Didn’t have a spare moment to hunt and did not know in June when I went into the draw that my November was going to end up that way.

Is there a way to give someone else my draw tag if I an unable to use it? I sure would have let someone else use it if I legally could.
If there was a way, there would be way more applicants.
I think one “fair” way would be to allow a youth hunter to use it.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:41 AM

Default There are tons of legit reasons not to buy a tag

a few years ago I was drawn for turkey. That fall I blew my ACL and ended up having surgery days before the turkey season started. I'm a dedicated hunter but I wasn't going to be out there on crutches so I didn't buy a tag. I asked to have my priority reinstated and received a flat no for an answer. As for the OP's question. If they sent you a survey, answer the survey honestly ...

from my google search...

"Failure to submit your reporting will result in future restrictions on the eligibility to apply for future special licence draws and the requirement of a survey fee to restore that privilege".
Old 01-21-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
If there was a way, there would be way more applicants.
I think one “fair” way would be to allow a youth hunter to use it.
It would be nice if there was a way, but unfortunately creating a way to transfer licenses, would open the door for abuse.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:42 AM

Just a thought. I can't see why you wouldn't be able to return it prior to the season, to go back into the pot for the next random person with enough priority to be awarded it. If it's too last minute and they can't make it work, they return it as well, until eventually someone will accept it. This way you get max number of tag holders actually hunting and no one loses out due to unforeseen circumstances. I'm pretty certain they do this in some states.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
It would be nice if there was a way, but unfortunately creating a way to transfer licenses, would open the door for abuse.
I agree.