Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-09-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Make a 170gr Partition for the 30-30 then? For antelope I guess ,not bigger tougher game . Use whatever is on sale.
Trying to sell something to somebody who thinks they need it, that’s why.

I bit hard back in the day and frankly the Partition’s are over engineered for the task in the 30/30, and that’s after a moose and a couple deer, btw.

The 30/30 in a typical 20” carbine won’t break 2200 FPS,(might break it now with new fangled powders) with a 170 grain bullet, and the 170’s I’ve listed will penetrate and hold together every bit as well as the Partition offering. I know because I have taken game using those bullets, bear(some where wounded by others and poor presentations), moose and deer to be exact, and whadaya know they all exited.......

So do you have any real world experience with the 30/30 and Partition’s or do you just add advertising BS?

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 01-09-2021 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Trying to sell something to somebody who thinks they need it, that’s why.

I bit hard back in the day and frankly the Partition’s are over engineered for the task in the 30/30, and that’s after a moose and a couple deer, btw.

The 30/30 in a typical 20” carbine won’t break 2200 FPS,(might break it now with new fangled powders) with a 170 grain bullet, and the 170’s I’ve listed will penetrate and hold together every bit as well as the Partition offering. I know because I have taken game using those bullets, bear(some where wounded by others and poor presentations), moose and deer to be exact, and whadaya know they all exited.......

So do you have any real world experience with the 30/30 and Partition’s or do you just add advertising BS?
I have killed a few critters with the 30-30 and my take is partition and tsx offer quite a bit of performance over std cup and core especially on poor angle or heavy bone on bigger animals. On deer and full broadside shots you are correct.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:43 AM

At 300 yards a 165 out of a 30-06 is cruising at about 2150fps
At 100 yards a 170 out of a 30-30 is putting along at about 2000fps.

I dont see 150fps being all that much difference.

If the sight system is in question, a peep sight or a red dot make a world of difference inside 100 yards.

Colin
Old 01-09-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
At 300 yards a 165 out of a 30-06 is cruising at about 2150fps
At 100 yards a 170 out of a 30-30 is putting along at about 2000fps.

I dont see 150fps being all that much difference.

If the sight system is in question, a peep sight or a red dot make a world of difference inside 100 yards.

Colin
That’s only true if you don’t actually run the numbers. In reality down here on earth, at 100 yards a 170 grain from a 30-30 started at 2200 FPS is doing around 1870fps.

At 300 yards a 165/168 from a 30-06 started at 3k FPS is doing about 2420 FPS.

A 168 from my ‘06 has the same velocity at 620 yards that a 170 does from a 30-30 at 100 yards.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:30 PM

My first elk was a 5x5 bull I killed with a 30-30 using the 160 grain Leverevolution stuff. No tracking. Dropped in his tracks with a shoulder shot at 50 yards.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
For your best chance at success, take your son along, with the rifle of his choice, and let him do the shooting.

HAHAHAHA let the games begin!
It’s always great when some good ribbing can take place without bans doled out like candy at Halloween
Old 01-12-2021, 06:48 PM

It's all about shot placement regardless if it's a 30.30 or a 300 Win Mag. Don't try to convince a traditional bow hunter otherwise lol...

Michael
Old 01-12-2021, 06:55 PM

Default Yea....

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
For your best chance at success, take your son along, with the rifle of his choice, and let him do the shooting.
You an 58...... ha!

He IS turning into a fine shot. Took his lil whitetail buck this year with an offhand 175 yard shot with the 308.... heart shot.

But I’d like to get back to harvesting a critter....

I actually didn’t shoot any big game this season .... I’m making a bull down a priority next fall

..... unless I get my p18 moose.... then the game changes and I focus on taking my moose with a bow.

It’s the challenge that I exactly want. Where the elk are.... the spot that I’ve found... they will stay way way high in very thick bush. I’ve scouted their routes and it shouldn’t be hard to figure their bedding spots next season.
Max shot would be under 100 yards.

I’ll be looking into 170 grain bullets ... I was planning the Hornadays that I’ve worked with. My rig really loves them. Very very accurate out of my Winchester.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-12-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There are a select few people where what you say is true, for 98% of the hunters out there this isn't accurate. I have hunted with open sites 38-55s, 45-70s, slug guns etc as well as, short and long barrels. If you can't get the shot off in time with a 22" barrel 30-06 you aren't going to with a 20" 30-30 either, and there is no place that open sights are easier to use than a 1.5x5 power scope. In fact any time you have dark bush or light compromised shots or the need to thread a shot between bushes a scope is a far better option than open sights. Bessie has been around a long time but the fact he is asking the question as to whether that is a good choice or not would incline me to the opinion that on open sighted 30-30 may not be the best choice for him, except in VERY exacting circumstances.
I have to agree with this. The biggest asset in hunting timber is a good pair of binoculars. A scope is not a hindrance under the same conditions. There is a thread on another forum about “brush guns”. I get the feeling people like their short range levers etc and this is the only justifiable way to use them. As I said there, my 600 yard 7mm Remington Magnum for prairie Mule Deer works just as well at 30’. The opposite is not the case.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-13-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I have to agree with this. The biggest asset in hunting timber is a good pair of binoculars. A scope is not a hindrance under the same conditions. There is a thread on another forum about “brush guns”. I get the feeling people like their short range levers etc and this is the only justifiable way to use them. As I said there, my 600 yard 7mm Remington Magnum for prairie Mule Deer works just as well at 30’. The opposite is not the case.
We are not just talking about timber hunting though. The Q was using a 30-30 for elk hunting. Not many bow hunters pack binos when Elk calling because you don't need them. You locate by sound and you call them right into your lap. In later season I can see the benefit of binos and scope as you search for them bedded but, often you track them to their bedding areas then you call them to you...
Old 01-24-2021, 11:25 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlzKM8VSRqc&t=182s
Old 01-24-2021, 09:06 PM

If elk are bugling and its bush, you likely won’t have to shoot more than 30yds so 30/30 will be fine, just wait for a broadside shot
Old 01-25-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
This is why I don’t have a “brush gun”.
The right setup handles all the hunting I could do with a rifle, and it happens to be with the outdated 30-06. lol

As for binos, they are crucial for spotting before being spotted. Use them just as much in archery season as rifle. 8x isn’t as problematic as some threads may lead one to believe. Seems every year I almost convince myself to switch from the 3.5-10 Leupold to a 4x or 6x then I don’t because I have what I need. But if I were starting over I’d probably get a fixed power and take one less thought process out of the hunt.