Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-04-2021, 11:51 AM

Default Suffield Jan 2021

I will be out looking for an antlereless elk or two on the base next week (Jan 11-13). Figured it couldn't hurt to start yet another Suffield thread, lol. If anyone else is going to be out and wants to swap phone numbers incase someone gets stuck and needs a pull, send me a DM. Same goes for the Bull hunters. I will gladly relay info if any are spotted. The more eyes out there the better.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:42 AM

I have a Bull tag for the same dates, feel free to DM me if you want to swap numbers, I am happy to pass on any info i come across.

Thanks and good luck.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:56 AM

sent you a DM
Old 01-05-2021, 02:46 PM

Anyone know what the snow and or roads are like out there?
Old 01-05-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
Anyone know what the snow and or roads are like out there?
Id never hunt the base without, chains, shovel etc. It could drift in like a bugger anytime.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:17 AM

It's been pretty mild around here. Won't be much for snow left but roads could be pretty soft.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:05 PM

Hey Bowhunter, just sent you p.m. I will be out there with a friend coming as a helper. Feel free to fire a text if you need a hand with anything. I know I was looking at road cams for the highway near suffield and the snow doesn’t look to bad.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:22 PM

What was day 1 like out there today.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
What was day 1 like out there today.
I heard 5-6hr wait in a line up to get in

LC
Old 01-11-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I heard 5-6hr wait in a line up to get in

LC
I was in the line up and left and drove home,they must not of got onto the range until noon if it was 5 or 6 hour wait.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:05 PM

That’s brutal are they just under staffed because of Covid.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:05 PM

We arrived at 550. I was a helper this year. Not hunter.

Briefing, registrations, covid, NWA draw, driving to gate, and search...

We entered base around 10:15 or so. Maybe a little after.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
We arrived at 550. I was a helper this year. Not hunter.

Briefing, registrations, covid, NWA draw, driving to gate, and search...

We entered base around 10:15 or so. Maybe a little after.
That's pretty similar to previous years 2nd and 3rd day should be quicker for you. Any luck locating Elk!.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:23 AM

Hiked 12km yesterday in the NWA. Saw a few nice big bulls totally solo. Buddies on had cow tags.

Toward end of day, We ran into a heard of several hundred or so Just outside of the NWA. They crossed the road 200 yards in front of us and my Buds ended up filling thier cow tags.

Honestly, It was total dumb luck. Right place right time.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:15 AM

Good to hear. Glad you guys stuck it out and didn’t go home when you had to wait.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
I was in the line up and left and drove home,they must not of got onto the range until noon if it was 5 or 6 hour wait.
Day one is always a bit slower. Gets better the following days.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:06 PM

Will be out on the base jan 18-20 with 2 cow tags. First time. Any recent info/updates would be appreciated. Feel free to contact me. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:52 AM

Just got back from Jan 11-13 hunt. Hunting partner filled his antlerless tags on day 1 and day 2. Saw and tried from noon to 430 to get within range of a really large herd estimated to be close to a 1000 or more on day 1. Awe inspiring to see that mass of animals move from a distance. Several hunters pushing them around throughout the day. One guy/gal must have logged a lot of kilometers trying to get on them for an ethical shot. Did not see him/her drop anything. However day 2 in the morning we saw an elk on a hill close to where my partner got his calf the afternoon before. He got up there and found 3 calves standing around 4 cows. 3 cows were deceased. He harvested his second calf. After investigating the cows laying down it was clear that no one knew they were there. The fourth cow was wounded and when approached got up and ran down the hill. Contacted F&W, they F&W /Env Can officers investigated and then asked if we wanted one of the cows and we accepted. Harvesters took the other 2 cows. Disappointing that with all the shooting (flock shooting) nobody followed up after their shots. There was lots of shots just before and after legal light. Total of 35 elk were reported harvested on day 1. Likely higher based on what we found on day 2. These types of hunting efforts will be the end of the hunt on the draw system if it isn't curtailed. Straight from Environment Canada officer's thoughts. To those that didn't follow up on their flock shooting our fuller deep freezers thank you, the harvesters on base thank you and thanks to the F&W allowing us to keep and elk. That elk we lost maybe 20 pounds of meat due to poor shooting. Roads were fairly good, 4x4 required for sure for next hunts. Glass from high spots and put the boots to work.

Al
Old 01-14-2021, 01:15 PM

thank you for the information Al

Just want to know if the briefing is inside the building or in your truck listening to radio.

Thanks again
Old 01-14-2021, 04:10 PM

You get into a line then directed into rows in front of the rec center from that point you get registered, covid questions, nwa request ( go north), hear a pre-recorded briefing on a FM station, listen for your lic plate # for nwa success then out you go to the 2 gates west/south, have your gps at the ready as it was requested at the briefing and security checks. Be there by 0530 or earlier so you can get into the rec parking lot quicker. Good luck.

Al
Old 01-14-2021, 04:17 PM

Thank you so much Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog Al View Post
You get into a line then directed into rows in front of the rec center from that point you get registered, covid questions, nwa request ( go north), hear a pre-recorded briefing on a FM station, listen for your lic plate # for nwa success then out you go to the 2 gates west/south, have your gps at the ready as it was requested at the briefing and security checks. Be there by 0530 or earlier so you can get into the rec parking lot quicker. Good luck.

Al
Old 01-21-2021, 10:01 AM

Thanks for all the insight folks! Just curious what was causing the hold ups specifically? Sounds like a real gong show if it took 4-5 hours to get people onto the base.
We are headed out for the hunt next week on the 25th-27th. We won't have to worry about getting stuck in the mud at least and hopefully not too much snow either. Any other members going out?
Old 01-21-2021, 06:24 PM

I was out there this week with my uncle and it wasn’t too bad. We got there just before 6-am and there was a line up to get into the parking lot for the briefing. The briefing started late, I think that we got out there around 9-10 o’clock. The roads weren’t bad, did get stuck once in a place where the snow had drifted but other than that it wasn’t terrible.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:04 PM

Was out there this week 18-20 as a helper and filled 3 of 4 tags. Would have been 4 on day 1 if the hunters could hit something haha. Maybe seen max 100 elk the entire time we were there. Never found the big herd. Heard that it was out in the training area on Monday but we were on another smaller group already so didn't go looking. Lots of pairs and small groups cruising around so you don't have to follow the big group if you don't want to.

Got stuck 1 time breaking through the top crust on an E/W road in the south NWA but with a little shovelling and a tug from a friend and we were on our way. For how many trucks and people are on the base it is amazing how long you can go without seeing another person. If anyone has issues with being to close to others then stop following the same herd. There are ton of elk out there.

Access to the base wasn't nearly as bad as others are saying. Everybody just wants to complain all the time but never say anything when it goes well. We did start 45 min late on Monday due to people showing up late and they held off the orientation until people stopped showing up. Were still on the base shortly after 10. On Tuesday they started on time and we were on base hunting by 9. Wednesday was even better and we were on base just after 8am.

Never seen anyone doing anything crazy. Just a bunch of hunters looking for the elk and willing to help each other out when needed. All in all it was a good time. Will be back next year
Old 01-22-2021, 07:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptreguy View Post
Was out there this week 18-20 as a helper and

Never seen anyone doing anything crazy. Just a bunch of hunters looking for the elk and willing to help each other out when needed. All in all it was a good time. Will be back next year
Glad to hear some positive feedback from this hunt.

I was there 3 times. Last time we did not see one Elk driving all day...but I will never forget 1500 elk herd stampeding in the mist of ice crystals when we were there the first year.
Never felt in any danger, hardly seen other hunters.
I will apply again.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 01-22-2021, 11:58 PM

Default Sick

This turns my stomach, no respect for those elk. This is not what hunting was meant to be. Yeah, i know its a cull. Glad you got to help with keeping the wastage down.
What do you mean by “the harvesters” Al?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog Al View Post
Just got back from Jan 11-13 hunt. Hunting partner filled his antlerless tags on day 1 and day 2. Saw and tried from noon to 430 to get within range of a really large herd estimated to be close to a 1000 or more on day 1. Awe inspiring to see that mass of animals move from a distance. Several hunters pushing them around throughout the day. One guy/gal must have logged a lot of kilometers trying to get on them for an ethical shot. Did not see him/her drop anything. However day 2 in the morning we saw an elk on a hill close to where my partner got his calf the afternoon before. He got up there and found 3 calves standing around 4 cows. 3 cows were deceased. He harvested his second calf. After investigating the cows laying down it was clear that no one knew they were there. The fourth cow was wounded and when approached got up and ran down the hill. Contacted F&W, they F&W /Env Can officers investigated and then asked if we wanted one of the cows and we accepted. Harvesters took the other 2 cows. Disappointing that with all the shooting (flock shooting) nobody followed up after their shots. There was lots of shots just before and after legal light. Total of 35 elk were reported harvested on day 1. Likely higher based on what we found on day 2. These types of hunting efforts will be the end of the hunt on the draw system if it isn't curtailed. Straight from Environment Canada officer's thoughts. To those that didn't follow up on their flock shooting our fuller deep freezers thank you, the harvesters on base thank you and thanks to the F&W allowing us to keep and elk. That elk we lost maybe 20 pounds of meat due to poor shooting. Roads were fairly good, 4x4 required for sure for next hunts. Glass from high spots and put the boots to work.

Al
Old 01-23-2021, 01:25 PM

Thanks to all for the intel! Hope the herd is around this week and not too many hassles getting onto the base.
Good luck to anybody else heading out and give us a wave.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:24 AM

Harvesters as referred to are the First Nations and Metis men and ladies on the base. This was the term used by the F&W CO and Environment Canada officer when they conducted their investigation. They were extremely grateful we reported our findings and for their full freezers.

Al
Old 01-29-2021, 02:52 PM

Default Final Week Happenings?

Wondering how everyone made out this final week? I'm thinking of trying this hunt next year with my 18 year old. I was there 4 years ago and I would love for him to see a herd of 1000 animals. I went as a helper.

Thanks
Tony
Old 01-30-2021, 11:49 AM

Thumbs up Elk, Suffield,

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpatico View Post
Wondering how everyone made out this final week? I'm thinking of trying this hunt next year with my 18 year old. I was there 4 years ago and I would love for him to see a herd of 1000 animals. I went as a helper.

Thanks
Tony
Hey Bud, me and my wife did the last weeks hunt. It was eventfully to say the least. We chose to only go Tuesday and Wednesday. We arrived at the brief at 550 and got in line, we didn’t get on the range for till 9am. Most went north but we chose to go south based on the numbers harvested on Monday. We went to the east side of southern NWA and walked along the river edge. We came across a herd of 5 elk, 3 bulls and 2 cows. 2 of the bulls where huge, but I had a resident Cow tag. Unfortunately we weren’t able to close the gap and didn’t get a decent shot. Think we covered 17 km. On our way out, we witnessed a couple having there kill confiscated, not sure why. Not our business, but felt for the guy.

Wednesday, the morning brief started 10 minutes early and included a warning for some road closures as many trucks where getting stuck in the North east part of the base. In fact they brought out a tow truck on stand by... first I’ve seen in my 3 years. Anyway, we again decided to go into the South NWA. We got on the range a bit earlier, 0830 so we decided to drive a bit along the testing ground and west boundary of the NWA. We found a road that had a great high looking point and saw 4 elk. 2 walking and 2 lying down. We drove up and walked in. It was only 1.2 kk from the truck. And shot the two lying down from 220yards. It was nice to fill both tags before 0930. Had them back in the truck quartered and dressed before lunch. They where not the biggest elk, maybe 2-3 years old. But the filled the freezer.

I had been out 2 other years and been skunked. Chased the main herd all over the North NWA with no real success to speak of.. it something els to see 2000 elk move and cover the prairies but hard to sneak up on all those eyes and ears.

Was strange this year not to hear about the herds location, seems like they split. I hope we can go again big thanks to the CFB Suffield and the CAF personnel. Made the hunt possible.