Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2020, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the great pics as always! Will definitely bring out the cleats with me on Friday. Hopefully the whites are cooperating
Old 12-08-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
thanks Zip!! Not as much ice as I'd like to see, but what can ya do with the weather we've had...?? Things are getting colder, as you mentioned, so within a couple weeks things will be much better.

I'll be bringing my axe with me to check ice as we go on Sunday. Have heard the RR21 access point has about a foot of ice, so that might be the best place to start the season...

You may be surprised to see vehicles on the ice on Friday .... read on.

D.

Old 12-08-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinguy99 View Post
Thanks for the great pics as always! Will definitely bring out the cleats with me on Friday. Hopefully the whites are cooperating

If we don't get any snow you can just walk around and see them through the clear ice like Johnny Depp in Alice through the Looking Glass. Seen a few Whites take off under me when I was out this morning.

D.

Old 12-08-2020, 04:41 PM

If you didn't see my update from this morning with lots of pic's on ice conditions go back to Page 1, Post #29.

On the way home from town tonight seen a truck & shacks out quite a distance on Norglenwold. Went down Sylvan Lane the lake access road to take a pic and the guy in truck was coming out, he said his trailers are on approx. 11” ice, just past them to deeper water is 8”. He’s the owner of "Got Fish" the shack rental company, said he has a bit more work to do before opening day. I cut/pasted some info he posted on F/B.

More pic’s from this afternoon.

EDIT: IMO, driving on this early in Dec with the warm weather is dangerous, I'm hoping others don't think they can drive where ever they want, if they do, vehicles will go down this weekend. Be smart & safe!

D.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/494062108040679/

Got fish is officially on the ice . Opening day is a go . Early booking deal is only on till opening day. 25 bucks off a night except for Christmas eve and new years eve. Lots of days left. With this cold weather looks like opening day will be a go. For the die-hard we will start rentals on the Dec 10th at 8 pm. Got Fish? Ice hut rentals. New pricing overnight Monday to Thursday 150. Day time rentals Monday to Thursday 35 per person( min2 person). Overnight Friday Saturday 200. All prices include predrilled holes bait pre heated trailer with kitchenette washrooms and cameras with tvs. Located at Norglenward Sylvan lake. Message or call Jason at 4039191393

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-08-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
If you didn't see my update from this morning with lots of pic's on ice conditions go back to Page 1, Post #29.

On the way home from town tonight seen a truck & shacks out quite a distance on Norglenwold. Went down Sylvan Lane the lake access road to take a pic and the guy in truck was coming out, he said his trailers are on approx. 11” ice, just past them to deeper water is 8”. He’s the owner of "Got Fish" the shack rental company, said he has a bit more work to do before opening day. I cut/pasted some info he posted on F/B.

More pic’s from this afternoon.

EDIT: IMO, driving on this early in Dec with the warm weather is dangerous, I'm hoping others don't think they can drive where ever they want, if they do, vehicles will go down this weekend. Be smart & safe!

D.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/494062108040679/

Got fish is officially on the ice . Opening day is a go . Early booking deal is only on till opening day. 25 bucks off a night except for Christmas eve and new years eve. Lots of days left. With this cold weather looks like opening day will be a go. For the die-hard we will start rentals on the Dec 10th at 8 pm. Got Fish? Ice hut rentals. New pricing overnight Monday to Thursday 150. Day time rentals Monday to Thursday 35 per person( min2 person). Overnight Friday Saturday 200. All prices include predrilled holes bait pre heated trailer with kitchenette washrooms and cameras with tvs. Located at Norglenward Sylvan lake. Message or call Jason at 4039191393

I would say with the new covid restrictions those will be a no go unless only people in your house hold
Old 12-08-2020, 08:06 PM

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendigo View Post
I would say with the new covid restrictions those will be a no go unless only people in your house hold
Pretty much, had a northern sask lake trout trip planned for23-27. it is a no go after these latest restrictions
Old 12-08-2020, 08:15 PM

Wowy... Trucks out already. Showed this to the wife and her eyes got huge. Not comfortable with that just yet. Interesting times. Easily by the end of this month if we stay below 0 for daytime highs, we'll be driving on... By new years for sure.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Wowy... Trucks out already. Showed this to the wife and her eyes got huge. Not comfortable with that just yet. Interesting times. Easily by the end of this month if we stay below 0 for daytime highs, we'll be driving on... By new years for sure.

If your still thinking of heading out on RR21 - Half Moon Bay - I'm sure you can park on the shore line and unload on the ice, you won't have any issues doing that. I drove on to the lake & turned around on the ice at Norglenwold, that's safe to do, just don't be driving around unless you bring out the new toy ice vehicle.

Wish you all the success this weekend.

Cheers

D.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
If your still thinking of heading out on RR21 - Half Moon Bay - I'm sure you can park on the shore line and unload on the ice, you won't have any issues doing that. I drove on to the lake & turned around on the ice at Norglenwold, that's safe to do, just don't be driving around unless you bring out the new toy ice vehicle.

Wish you all the success this weekend.

Cheers

D.
always appreciate your info, my friend! I think we're gonna take a peek at Palm first and see what it's looking like, but might end up over on the south side if ice is still too sketchy up NW. Looking forward to some walleye fishing!!
Old 12-09-2020, 05:35 PM

Quick update on the heaves or "heavies "/ridges at Sunbreaker. I did not have an auger w/me to punch a hole for depth so I'll leave that to Zip.

The launch looks significantly worse that LY IMO. Judge for yourself but there will need to be "work" done here if folks are to be able to drive on in the near future.

Cheers,

Scott.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
Quick update on the heaves or "heavies "/ridges at Sunbreaker. I did not have an auger w/me to punch a hole for depth so I'll leave that to Zip.

The launch looks significantly worse that LY IMO. Judge for yourself but there will need to be "work" done here if folks are to be able to drive on in the near future.

Cheers,

Scott.
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Scott ... great pic's, tks for saving me a trip to the other end of the lake, the ice there is around 6"- 8" but not 11", like others may have suggested.

The local Sylvan guys with big trucks will just fly over those ice heavies Friday morning. Will have to give that area a go next week.

Cheers

D.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:28 AM

Thanks for the updates guys!! We won't be driving on Friday but hopefully will be lucky enough to catch a few of those Sylvan whites. Hooks have already been tied lol.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:36 PM

6-8" at Sunbreaker works for me. With the temps over the next few days, it'll be more than ready for walking on Sunday. Getting the propane tank filled for the sunflower...gonna be running hard all day Sunday, by the looks of it. Bring on a multi-species slay day!
Old 12-10-2020, 01:52 PM

NOOB QUESTION ALERT: is Sylvan a real productive lake or summin? Is that why you are all so excited?
Old 12-10-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxiD View Post
NOOB QUESTION ALERT: is Sylvan a real productive lake or summin? Is that why you are all so excited?
Sylvan is so hot that the fish swim right up the hole and lie on the ice.

BW
Old 12-10-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Sylvan is so hot that the fish swim right up the hole and lie on the ice.

BW
Well, in that case I better check it out haha
Old 12-10-2020, 02:22 PM

Good luck tomorrow morning/this weekend to all those who have been patiently waiting to get on Sylvan. I'd have gone bonkers if my main lake was just opening now.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:11 PM

Looks like someone went thru the ice already. Just had a pic sent to me of a white truck going thru while trying to get his shack out
Old 12-10-2020, 04:14 PM

What depths are you guys fishing whites at this time of year?

May take a poke out to Sylvan Saturday/Sunday if I stay in town.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
Looks like someone went thru the ice already. Just had a pic sent to me of a white truck going thru while trying to get his shack out

I was out checking the ice again this afternoon, seen a couple vehicles out on the ice at Norglenwold, didn't hear any emerg vehicles, can you kindly provide further details & a pic.

Edit:
There's a pic of a white truck & shack that went through the ice on a Sylvan F/B site, which turns out to be fake, it appears to have happened in Wisconsin USA, 3 years ago.

Tks

D.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-10-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
What depths are you guys fishing whites at this time of year?

May take a poke out to Sylvan Saturday/Sunday if I stay in town.

This afternoon my camera said 6-8 FOW, I ventured out to 10-12 FOW and didn't see any, seen the guy with the Green Hornet he was lookin in 20-24 fow, but didn't speak with him. I've always had more success in the early morning & late afternoon to dusk in shallower water. Move deeper around noon or find structure with a sharp breakline and work it all day.

Wish you all the success.

D.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:57 PM

Dec 11th - Opening Day, you would think no body works and there's 3 ft ice on the lake, couldn't believe the number of vehicles on the ice which is 10-11" or less. We should of had out limits, we both had lots of opportunities in the morning, but I had the "Yips", golfers know what that is. Things turned around in the afternoon we managed to ice 4 & gave them away to Skawtty's F-Inlaw. Scott will be dreaming of the big Pike that hit & got off in 4 FOW that was the same girth as his thigh, I seen it 2-3 times staring at my w/w's it filled my 10" hole, toooo bad ... LOL.

A few Pic's.

D

Scott caught the biggest one today.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:12 PM

Great opening day, we managed to limit out just over 2 hours. Sorry for the poor res pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5419.jpg (30.3 KB, 198 views)
Old 12-11-2020, 10:24 PM

Good gravy 10" and all those trucks on the ice spread out is freaky enough but all together around the rental trailers like that NUTS.

Only person with common sense was in the Ranger... Oh ya that was you Zip.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:11 AM

Question RR23 lake access

Good morning
Are we allowed to park at the end of the RR23 ? There is a "no lake access" sign at the last intersection.
Thanks
K
Old 12-12-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I was out checking the ice again this afternoon, seen a couple vehicles out on the ice at Norglenwold, didn't hear any emerg vehicles, can you kindly provide further details & a pic.

Edit:
There's a pic of a white truck & shack that went through the ice on a Sylvan F/B site, which turns out to be fake, it appears to have happened in Wisconsin USA, 3 years ago.

Tks

D.
Yeah sorry about that...young fella we fish with sent to us and said it had went thru. Yup...he got it from a FB site. We drove out and seen nothing only a couple days ago.
Damn false news...sorry! Will be more skeptical next time.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:12 AM

I’m completely shocked people are driving on already. I said a little prayer for those who do. SCARY!!! Ice thickness varies tremendously with even a little bit of snow cover in spots and centre of the lakes aren’t froze over thick enough yet. Plus a significant warm spell and she be risky as heck. 11” out from shore is surely getting there boys and reason for optimism but my goodness that’s a risk I surely won’t take just yet. Sure hope and pray everybody keeps it topside. Be safe out there and spare your family’s an unnecessary tragedy or financial loss fellas. After all, its only a slimy fish. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2020, 09:15 AM

I just got back from Mexico...fishing was kinda slow.....

Thanks to bwack and zip for all the updates

Im shocked people are driving on...wow...

Well I guess next week I'll tow my shack on too....LOL

Happy
Old 12-12-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostianych View Post
Good morning
Are we allowed to park at the end of the RR23 ? There is a "no lake access" sign at the last intersection.
Thanks
K
Last I was there, RR23 was so torn up from guys trying to launch there that it was basically impassable by car. I’m talking foot deep ruts everywhere.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:54 PM

Was anyone out on the north end? Curious about ice out that way...