Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-25-2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey cox View Post
that's disgusting.
Your type of hunting makes me sick.
You degrade the title "outdoorsmen".

With everything man kind has learned about about our existence, our place in the world, our duty to the universe, our "raison d'etre", how can you still drive a ford?
😂
Old 01-25-2021, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
That's disgusting.

With everything man kind has learned about about our existence, our place in the world, our duty to the universe, our "raison d'etre", how can you still drive a Ford?
Omg thats beautiful!!!!!😅😅😅😅😅😅
Old 01-25-2021, 11:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's disgusting.

With everything man kind has learned about about our existence, our place in the world, our duty to the universe, our "raison d'etre", how can you still drive a Ford?
My 8 year old Ford has 480k km on it
Not bad in my books
Old 01-25-2021, 11:46 PM
Banned

I have a cummins with far less km on it I’ll gladly sell you lol
Old 01-26-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
For antelope, it's find a high spot and glass, figure out which way they're headed, get in front of them unseen, dig in & wait. I don't even bother to try and 'sneak' them!
Hunt them in the coulees!
Old 01-26-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
That's disgusting.

Hall of fame ^^^^^^
Old 01-26-2021, 08:55 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Pick a couple species of animals and give a short description of how you hunt them so a new hunter whose just getting into it has an idea of where to begin or how involved they can get.

Deer - we hunt private land and stands. Ladder stands, tripods, popups and wooden tree stands on scaffold - scout the area, hunt field edges and travel corridors in the bush. We can invest more time and money here because it is private land.

Ruffed/Spruce Grouse - We simply walk the bush slowly looking for them, private land, crown land. Its the same.

Ducks - We walk edges of streams and waterways looking for them.

Geese - We wait at the edge of a small pond for them to fly over and land on it. They are regulars at the pond so we don't bother calling them in. If they are out of range, we can sneak around the banks and flush them off the pond. Like to do this once a year for a weekend away.

Most of my hunting, only requires the shooter to have permission on the land and a rifle or shotgun. Very little gear required. Simple rifles for closer range shooting and a common 20 or 12 gauge shotgun.

If your hunting crown land and don't have time to scout, we take the week hunting and scout while hunting. Drive or walk some trails. Find some spots that feel good to setup for the day or afternoon. Look for sign before you leave. At the end of the week you'll know the area better than you did, spent time outdoors, maybe bagged something as well and know more for next year!
I don't drive a Ford so I guess I can comment.

This fall a couple of young fellows (younger then I ) came up to try their hand at Moose hunting. Since it was their first time hunting Moose they were unsure if they were in the right place or if they were doing the right things.
Turns out they were doing everything right.

They were in good Moose habitat, with a good population of Moose for this area.
They were calling at the most effective times, early morning and late evening.
They were calling close to swamp habitat, which Moose prefer early season.
They had done their homework so their calling sounded right.

The point being, do the homework, don't expect instant results and most of all have fun.

Even after hunting for over fifty years I still come home empty handed more often then not.

Don't get me wrong, I could come home with something most days,
if I were willing to take risky shots,
If I were willing to settle for the first opportunity,
If I were willing to skirt the law,
If I were willing to take what I don't really need.

I could up my average considerably. But hunting is not a contest to be won.

Hunting is first and foremost about providing for oneself. And it's about getting back to our roots, and being a part of nature.

If we have fun in the process, that's icing on the cake. If we gain a trophy, that too is icing on the cake.

If the goal is to be part of nature you will have very few bad days in the field.

If the goal is to better your neighbor, you are going to have more bad days then good. At least until you reach expert status. Or get incredibly lucky.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-26-2021, 09:07 AM

First look for the right bush(80-20 rule) 2) look for their food. 3) look for tracks , beds and fresh poop. 4) Find a fresh track follow it to his bed and chutum!
Works for elk, moose and deer. PS Early season scouting also works like a dam.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:21 AM

• Early season, grouse hunting, discover nice deer/elk/moose spots, spot and stalk moose with bow
  • Hang a few stands based on previous years' reconnaissance
  • Mid season and late season: Use stands and/or boot leather and still-hunt areas discovered earlier in season
  • Post-season, where possible, do some coyote/grouse hunting and look to see where the animals actually were when I was out looking for them earlier in the season...
Old 01-26-2021, 09:45 AM

Elk: We hunt the week of September 17th rifle season. Mornings, we split up and walk, spot and stalk. We bugle once every 15-20 minutes constantly moving along field/timber fringes, cow calling constantly. If we hear an answer or spot a herd, we stalk within rifle range, then I bugle that bull in for a fight and try to get him a bit closer yet, or take a dry young cow if drawn. Evenings: We sit and stand hunt, or occasionally cruise in the sxs to spot and scout for morning. These opportune times cruising in the sxs have gotten us a few nice deer and moose too.

Deer: Generally we cruise in the truck, especially in November if it's cold out. If we spot a herd of whitetails with a Buck/dry Doe worth shooting, we don't stop. We drive past the field, then I turn around up the road a ways, come back, let the passenger out behind cover, before the field closest to the deer, and give them the following instructions. "I will drive back and forth past the field the deer are in, not going fast, nor too slow. As long as the truck is visible, walk along the bush line as the deer will be watching the truck, not you. As soon as the truck is out of sight, stop, don't move until I'm driving back again. As soon as in range, take him". We have also done spot and stalk still hunting, more so in evenings in November. I can't stand for long without freezing.

Moose: Much the same as deer. When it's early in the season or warm out, we generally walk in the mornings, spot and stalk evenings

We hunt private farm land that belongs to my in-laws, and or their neighbors. These methods have produced a lot of animals for us, and I'm not ashamed to use a vehicle or sxs to help fill the freezer. To those of you who judge others for using a vehicle or ATV to cover ground, quit being snobs. There is no wrong way to legally hunt.

Last edited by leo; 01-26-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:49 AM

whitetail: i wake up way before sunrise, drive an hour and a half to "my spot" on public land, walk for 20mins, setup my pop up blind, sit, freeze, wait, this year i setup a few rabbit snares along the way to my spot so it made it a bit more interesting. Like many have said on here, patience is key...still working on that last part!
Old 01-26-2021, 12:05 PM
Gone Hunting

The op did say pick a couple of species. I previously talked about Moose so now I'll get to Deer.

I am fortunate to live in good Deer territory. I have Deer in my yard almost every day, but I don't hunt these Deer.

I have several relatives and friends in the area that farm where I can hunt Deer, so I chose to hunt further afield. I hunt solo. But do join others in camp.

For me Deer camp is often my brothers homestead and that is where I hunted this fall, along with my brother, and a friend of mine from Westlock area and his step son who were hunting Moose in the area. That was in mid November.

The day starts an hour or two before first light. First stoke up the heater, then put on the coffee and start breakfast. Usually pancakes or sausage and eggs.

Then we go our separate ways. Me to hunt Deer, the others to hunt Moose.

First I drive down to the fields along the hill where I know the Deer are feeding. I have permission on all of them.

As the the horizon begins to brighten I am spotting Deer, looking for a Buck. If I find one I loop back up the hill close to the trail I expect the buck to use to get to bedding areas up the hill.

I park and walk to a likely spot to watch the trail. With my health I can't walk far and can't stay out in the cold too long, so an hour on stand is about my limit.

After that I spend the balance of the day looking for grouse or scouting for fresh Deer activity.
Then repeat the morning hunt, perhaps in a different location.

If I encounter a Buck in my mid day travels I park and try to put the sneak on him. It doesn't often work but I have harvested Deer that way.

In summery I saw plenty of Deer and a few bucks. Nothing special, the best was maybe 130 class.
Most were seen before legal light and in the open so no attempt was made to take one.

I did see two I could have taken legally, I passed on both. Both times because I was with my friend from Westlock and I wasn't comfortable tying up his Moose hunting time.

In the past I have spent many hours waiting along one Deer trail or another.
It is my preferred method. But in recent years I've opted for less time out in the cold, and since early season generally see way more hunters then late season I have done more late season hunting then in the past. That means less time on stand and more time in the truck.

For me my truck is less a means to get to where I hunt and more a means to stay warm.
I'm not 25 any more.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-26-2021, 12:18 PM

This is me exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Bow hunting deer is so easy.... sit in a likely spot from sept until the second week of November. Go out lots and lots, burn lots of gas, get mosquito bit early on and freeze my arse off later in the season but go out many times! Waste time, waste gas! See not much! Don’t get many shot opportunities.

I always try to miss easy shots a few times early in the season just to waste some expensive arrows and destroy my confidence. Then about the second week of November I kill a deer. When I bring it home my wife always says... “ I knew you wouldn’t get one until November.”
Old 01-26-2021, 03:51 PM

If I'm near home I make myself comfortable in a tree stand with my bow in travel corridors for deer and moose. Calling, grunting, rattling or just being quite and taking it all in, depends on the time of day/year. A benefit of having a nice piece of land in the bow zone to myself.

Hunting camp up north with the rifle. For deer, still hunting in the thick stuff grunting and rattling as I go trying to fool one of the old bucks. For moose, if I'm lucky enough to draw (lord let it be this year!) look for sign, a rut pit, willows browsed. Sit tight and call, call and call again.

Grouse, just walk old over grown roads with the grandson (trying to pass the torch) with .22's and enjoy the day.

Every once in a while I'll sit in a "blind". My old hunting partner called his the The Big Blue Chevy Blind. I upgraded to the Ford model.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
This ^^^

But I never forget this just in case...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pack-Ju...pose/132751498
Well now, that takes me back to a classic thread!
Old 01-27-2021, 08:40 AM

Default Location, location, location!!

Deer: when hunting south in the prairie region, I usually drive around until I find a good animal, park and make a stalk. I am not comfortable with long distance shooting, so even on the prairies, my shots are usually 300 yards or less. I have found ditches and low spots to lessen the distance, and in severe cases, have belly crawled through the sage for hundreds of yards. It's amazing how successful you can be if you have patience and play the wind right.
When hunting a bit farther north (for me that is Provost/Hardisty areas) I have a whole bunch more variety for hunting styles. I love still hunting, even though it is likely my least productive method. Just getting out and strolling through the bush patches. Leave your fancy sitka and kuiu at home, wool is your friend!
This last year, we set-up an open-air stand, and even in the -20 stuff, I would hike in a mile to the stand (an hour before legal light) and wait it out close to noon before leaving. Amazed at how many animals I have seen and could have shot.
Moose and elk: still hunting. Again, wool is your friend. Early season elk i like to drift along slowly and call periodically. This has been very productive over the years. Moose is still-hunting, or spot and stalk if we can glass up an animal from far away.
Rifle choices: this last year with just deer tags, my 7x57 with 175 gr bullets.
Elk and moose: I prefer 338 or 35 caliber guns.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:53 AM

Meat hunter now, horns are nice when the opportunity presents but not the goal anymore.

Deer - morning and evening sit, walk, spot and stalk through the day.
I’m not built (mentally) to sit in a tree or blind all day.

Elk - late season cow - Drive, find elk, seek permission if I don’t have it already, stalk and shoot. Unless I’m in 212, then I just stare at 200/300 elk all day where no one can hunt (not bitter at all)

Moose - walk, stalk, follow fresh tracks.

Private land - get permission and do what it takes to keep it.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:54 PM

Lucky enough to have horses to get me into and out of camp and get beyond those on foot and away from motorized vehicle areas. Other than that, it's hike hard and spot lots.
High ground is what I like for both sheep and elk......not really a deer hunter these days but more because I don't have the extra time. I like to go out for at least a week at a time and really settle into an area.
With elk I also use the horses for packing if we are fortune enough to harvest one but other than that they stay at camp.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:22 PM

Usually have three kiddos in tow so we drive lots , hike lots wich is always unproductive “ couldn’t sneak up on an oyster with all the noise” but kids truly enjoy it.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
You are kidding right?

I dont think he is and I'll just add this to it. If a nice buck comes screaming out of the bush and runs pellmell into my rear bumper, braining himself, well that my friend is a fine day of hunting right there.

Especially if its early and I haven't burnt much gas.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:37 PM