Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Scopes too. Any opportunity to get together is a good one. Every single dude I have met from AO is a right on guy.
That would ve good too.
I just thought set up even near banff, canmore or cadomin to see some animals and set up a few spotters.
I would sell mine and upgrade if I KNEW it was worth it in the field. Always harder to tell outside a store, and everyone has a bit different eye.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:37 PM

Swaro or Kowa for sure .... watch Kijiji and AO and other sites ... you can find some great deals if you're patient ... you can easily get such scope for well under $3000 if you're patient, but ready to move quickly as the deals do come up (I know as i got an almost new Swaro scope about 5 years ago for well under that).
Old 01-26-2021, 07:50 PM

I got lucky and got my swaro spotter and binos from great members off of this forum I past couple years. I upgraded from my viper spotter and viper binos to swaros and have been very happy.

There is a nice swaro spotter for sale in the optics buy and sell right now. Very reasonably priced as well.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2021, 08:08 PM

I had a razor HD for about six years. The price was right (I got it for $950 USD brand new when the dollar was at par) and the reviews online made it sound like it was nearly as good as swaro for a fraction of the price. Compared to the viper I had previously it was very good.
In 2017 I went hunting with a buddy who had a swaro and we used them side by side. With mine I could count points, with his I could see the texture on the antlers. The difference was significant to say the least.
I went home and sold the razor then bought a couple month old swaro off kijiji for $2300 with the eye piece, box, neoprene cover and original receipt that was indistinguishable from brand new.

If you’ve got the budget for alpha glass you can knock vortex off the list because they don’t compare.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:16 PM
Banned

Get a Swarovski atx
It is modular and you can add pieces as you need or want them

Best system around
Old 01-26-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I had a razor HD for about six years. The price was right (I got it for $950 USD brand new when the dollar was at par) and the reviews online made it sound like it was nearly as good as swaro for a fraction of the price. Compared to the viper I had previously it was very good.
In 2017 I went hunting with a buddy who had a swaro and we used them side by side. With mine I could count points, with his I could see the texture on the antlers. The difference was significant to say the least.
I went home and sold the razor then bought a couple month old swaro off kijiji for $2300 with the eye piece, box, neoprene cover and original receipt that was indistinguishable from brand new.

If you’ve got the budget for alpha glass you can knock vortex off the list because they don’t compare.
This right here is worth $$$ to the OP.

Coiloil knows his feces. Trust me. And, this is firsthand, real-life experience doing exactly what you want the spotter to do.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:01 PM

If you like reading reviews on optics, look at the reviews on bird watching sites, they tend to be even fussier about optics than most hunters.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post

Which Swarovski did you get?
Old 01-26-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you like reading reviews on optics, look at the reviews on bird watching sites, they tend to be even fussier about optics than most hunters.
They sure do. Best place to look for optics reviews including binos. All the $ in that hobby goes into optics, and they take is as serious as we do hunting.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Which Swarovski did you get?
I bought the STS 65mm HD with the 20-60x eyepiece. Personally I would of preferred the angled but that’s not what I found.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:39 PM

Default Spotter Suggestion, budget $3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Swaro is most likely over that a bit but I'd aim for that personally.

For sheep hunting I far prefer the angled eye piece but they don't work very well if you are using it out a truck window looking at mule deer.

I found the angled works great from the truck, turn it sideways and you can look almost straight ahead and behind the truck plus out the sides.

Even for looking perpendicular to the truck it works good.

There was a learning curve figuring out where it was pointed but after I had that sorted it was never a problem again. Going back to the straight I feel it’s a disadvantage all the time.