Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 10:55 AM

I was drawn last year on a 14 priority. Super excited. As life happens, I prepped and sold the house, keeping me from the archery range. I wasn’t going to fling arrows at an animal without being ‘in tune’, ending up not buying the tag. Checking my relm account, there are no harvest reports due.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
I was drawn last year on a 14 priority. Super excited. As life happens, I prepped and sold the house, keeping me from the archery range. I wasn’t going to fling arrows at an animal without being ‘in tune’, ending up not buying the tag. Checking my relm account, there are no harvest reports due.
Well guess i was totally wrong then, my apologies
Old 01-21-2021, 12:52 PM

I like the way alot of states do it.
I apply for a few elk tags down there. Your credit card info goes into the system when you apply for the draw. It charges your credit card for the draw fee, about $50 depending on the state and type of draw, and it also charges you for the tag, $900 for mine.
If I am not drawn, then they refund the $900
If I am drawn then they already have my money, and they mail me my tag.
There is no way you get out of it, even with the boarder closed, it was a no go, though I guess I could have flown down if I would have been drawn. My buddy was drawn for a Wyoming elk out of state tag, and no refund due to covid.
But it is what it is.
Though there draws down there are quick, less than a month to find out, and depending on the state you get like 6months or more notice from the time the draw is to the time the hunt is. I wish it was like that here, Should be feb when the draw happens.
Goat is once in a life time, and you have a month to plan for a major goat hunt, that is stupid in my opinion.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It would be nice if there was a way, but unfortunately creating a way to transfer licenses, would open the door for abuse.
Yup, there would be lots of people applying for everything with no intention of hunting only interested in scalping the transfer of their tags for $$$$$
Old 01-21-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
I like the way alot of states do it.
I apply for a few elk tags down there. Your credit card info goes into the system when you apply for the draw. It charges your credit card for the draw fee, about $50 depending on the state and type of draw, and it also charges you for the tag, $900 for mine.
If I am not drawn, then they refund the $900
If I am drawn then they already have my money, and they mail me my tag.
There is no way you get out of it, even with the boarder closed, it was a no go, though I guess I could have flown down if I would have been drawn. My buddy was drawn for a Wyoming elk out of state tag, and no refund due to covid.
But it is what it is.
Though there draws down there are quick, less than a month to find out, and depending on the state you get like 6months or more notice from the time the draw is to the time the hunt is. I wish it was like that here, Should be feb when the draw happens.
Goat is once in a life time, and you have a month to plan for a major goat hunt, that is stupid in my opinion.
Should have just went anyhow you wouldn’t get the rona from the elk in the field. The boarder isn’t actually closed it’s just msm “closed”
Old 01-22-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post
Why would you want to penalize sportsmen and women who have contributed to the system for perhaps decades maybe, then have a legitimate reason for not buying his drawn tag? A lot can happen between draw deadline and hunting season.
I agree we need to get the anti hunters out of the system! But not by penalizing fellow outdoorsmen and women.

Agreed.

My brother got drawn last year (2019) for antlered mule and didn't realize it (he's still new to the draw system and Albertarelm) so never purchased his tag. It was a newbie mistake and one he's not likely to make again. But I shouldn't talk, in 2019 I put in for antlerless mule deer and got drawn but for some reason when I looked at the draw results I thought I didn't get drawn. When I was buying my tags the lady at the store asked me if I wanted that one too and I was all "What the heck, did I get drawn for that after all!?!" (to myself) so did buy the tag (and filled it) but almost missed out on that one.

As for keeping anti hunting types from drawing tags to prevent hunters from getting them this info is all on computers. Be easy as pie for some crackerjack programmer to write a program to troll through the database looking for people who never buy tags they're drawn for.

However you wanted to do it, say you get drawn 3 times but never purchase a tag......you're no longer allowed to enter any draws ever again. You could also have the program look for people drawn and buying tags that never fill a tag. Same thing, 3 years worth and bingo, you're denied.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 01-22-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher Gord View Post
they still have to fill out a report or pay 15$ to enter this year's draw.
Why would they have a rule that you have to complete a harvest report on hunting effort and success for an animal for which you have no license? Would anyone be stupid enough to say they had killed an animal for which they had no license?
Well maybe the prime minister but I don't think he hunts.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:15 PM

We did our harvest reports today.
Wife and myself had late season elk reports to do, and submitted.
Son had drawn mid season elk but could not go, so he didn’t purchase it.
He not a tree hugger, nor applied to keep the tag from another.
He just couldn’t go this year, and I’m sure many others were in the same covid boat.
Should he have purchased it anyways? Maybe, I left that up to him.
And he did not have a harvest report to fill out.
Might be a $15 fee when he gets his lic this fall? Unsure.

TBark