Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-28-2019, 08:01 PM

Default Chronograph input-Magnetospeed

Anyone owns and used any of these? Like to know how long you have had it and what is your experience on it.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/MAGN...9.uts?slotId=0
Old 02-28-2019, 08:12 PM

I’ve had mine about 3 years ... don’t know the model but it is plain Jane so probably on par with the sporter model. Works fine. Easy to mount with no fuss. Results in poor groups because it changes barrel harmonics so best use is just to measure velocity without trying to develop a load simultaneously. Ran it beside a Labradar and it produced similar results.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:25 PM

[QUOTE=Chukar Hunter;3939431]Anyone owns and used any of these? Like to know how long you have had it and what is your experience on it.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/MAGN...9.uts?slotId=0[/QUOTE

I bought a V3 when they first came out. It's been an exceptional unit.
I like the ease of setting it up, and that I can use rain or shine, nite or day and not having the inconvenience of the remote Sky Screen.. I've not had so much as a hiccup with it since it was new ( at least 3 yrs )
It's a product I can highly recommend.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:31 PM

I have had my V2 for four years, and it has been excellent.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:24 PM

I love mine I have had it for a few months so far. I find as long as it's tight and indexed right my groups don't change but my point of impact does.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 03-01-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
I love mine I have had it for a few months so far. I find as long as it's tight and indexed right my groups don't change but my point of impact does.
^ what he said other than I've had the Sporter model for three years
Old 03-01-2019, 09:15 AM

This is the (limited) test I did to assess the effect of the attached MagnetoSpeed.

Groups below the red line are the control groups. Each contains two 3 shot groups.

Groups above the red line were with the device attached. I only shot three for these...they were not going to improve with the additional shots

Last edited by 260 Rem; 03-01-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:41 AM

Default Magneto speed v3

I have had the v3 for over a year now and I love it. Any weather condition, any light condition, has never not registered a shot, fast setup. The only thing i would say as a down side is it affects point of impact. I use it on 3 rifles and it shows up to 2" POI change at 100 yards. This is something to consider when using it for working up a load. It adds an extra step in working up your load because of this.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:22 AM

I have the sporter, works great but on my lightweight gun it throws shots all over. It doesn’t effect my heavy barreled target rifle much. If I really wanted to do load development with a chrono I’d save up and get the labradar. But for what I need it works fine.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:46 PM

Thanks everyone for your input.

I would use it only AFTER I have dialed a load, so no worries about changing the POI or the group size.

As one gun writer once said (Don't remember who it was);

"Never chronograph your pet load"
Old 03-01-2019, 02:33 PM

Only used mine once so far. Convenient on an indoor range. I couldn't get it to stay put on the Ruger #1a barrel, it would slide forward on the tapered barrel, and I'd have to pull it back after the shot. I was amazed it survived. Nothing I had with me would grip that barrel to stop that. It realigned OK, after a few shots and a lot of finagaling, I just fell into yanking it back and looking at the alignment, and continuing on. Pesky, but, functional. When I switched to my Stevens with a bit fatter straight octagon barrel, it worked perfectly. All I was doing was checking out velocities and charge weights with different bullets at a 25yd range, so groups didn't matter. As to reading the shots, only missed one on the Ruger, out of around 75 shots between the two guns.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:45 PM

The web material used for the top strap can slide under recoil. I resolved that issue by cutting a rubber “gasket” from a bicycle tube to place between the barrel and the top strap. Bike tube works great because it is relatively thin and retains the concave shape.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
The web material used for the top strap can slide under recoil. I resolved that issue by cutting a rubber “gasket” from a bicycle tube to place between the barrel and the top strap. Bike tube works great because it is relatively thin and retains the concave shape.
I do the same thing and it works.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Tapered Barrel Pads are available now.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:56 AM

I own the sporter version have had it for a couple years. Be careful when using with muzzle break. Had mine work its way forward over the break one time and it blew the bayonet off the mounting block. Was able to glue and screw it all back together and it works fine. Dislike the POI shift when using it, but so handy to strap it to your barrel opposed to setting up tripods and getting everything lined up.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:32 AM

I have a Chrony Alpha Chrono, you shoot through it so it doesn't change POI.. I've never had an issue with it not reading shots.
Why are guys going to Magnetospeed? it costs more and in my opinion changing POI is negative.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I have a Chrony Alpha Chrono, you shoot through it so it doesn't change POI.. I've never had an issue with it not reading shots.
Why are guys going to Magnetospeed? it costs more and in my opinion changing POI is negative.
Keep in mind, it's a chronograph. Why anyone would want to shoot groups or sight-in through a chronograph is beyond me. For what it was designed for,it is an excellent instrument.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:47 AM

Can’t speak for others but the reason I went to the MS was ease of use without the need to potentially inconvenience other shooters by calling cease fires to set up forward of the firing line. Second, I do not use the device during load development, only after I have found a load that groups well.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:08 PM

I like to use a Chronograph during load testing and development. Knowing the velocity is probably the best consumer way to judge pressure. By the time you get to the maximum published velocity for that powder in that length of barrel, case etc you are at or close to max pressure. If you are 100 FPS over max published you need to stop adding powder.. I have often hit max velocity well BELOW the max load published in the references, and I always check three sources.

By the time cratered primers or ejector marks show up you are already FAR above the specified pressure. When you get expanded heads, loose primer pockets or sticky bolts, let alone a stuck one, you are far and above any reasonable pressure you should be loading to. A Chronograph helps a whole bunch to quickly determine max loads and do it safely. Once I know max in my gun I can look for best accuracy, and I can often find that at max load by playing with seating depth. I prefer the Chrony or if you have the money, a LabRadar. They LR really is the Cats Pajamas.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post

I have owned three Chrony units over the years, I found that regardless of the model, they are effected by lighting conditions, and I have to call cease fires to set up, and take them down. The Magnetospeed works in all light, with ho cease fires required.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:12 PM

I've had the Chrony misread shots I din not want misread many times, evenj after a careful setup. I got rid of it 25+ yrs ago and got an Oehler. There are times and places when a Magnetospeed is more convenient, and is apparently just as reliable as the Oehler. I know for next time with the Magnetospeed to take some stuff along that will grip that barrel. No big deal there, pesky at the time, but didn't become an issue that would stop me using it again.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:19 PM

I think every reloader should heed Dean’s advice regarding the use of chronograph readings to assess pressure. It really is the most reliable indicator to keep you safe.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:45 PM

Definitely an interesting tool to tell you what your gun will let you do or not do.
Good teaching tool as well.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I think every reloader should heed Dean’s advice regarding the use of chronograph readings to assess pressure. It really is the most reliable indicator to keep you safe.
x3
Old 03-06-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
Anyone owns and used any of these? Like to know how long you have had it and what is your experience on it.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/MAGN...9.uts?slotId=0
Seems it's not available on cabelas.ca. too bad.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Seems it's not available on cabelas.ca. too bad.
Check Western Metal in Calgary. Picked up my MS V3 last November from them. They were the least expensive at the time. Xreload also carries them.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:02 PM

For less than the price of a cheap chronogrph you can get a copy of Quickload
It shows pretty accurate pressure estimates and once powder burn rates are adjusted to match your actual velocities, they are bang-on for that lot of powder.. give or take for a given temperature. Save a S-load of money as well.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:50 AM
Banned

Quickload is not a reliable app when it comes to actual load weights that you can use. It will however give you an idea what to expect out of certain powders. I just find it a bit optimistic, my max loads are about 3-5 grains less then what the app suggests.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
It shows pretty accurate pressure estimates and once powder burn rates are adjusted to match your actual velocities, they are bang-on for that lot of powder.. give or take for a given temperature. Save a S-load of money as well.
So how do you adjust your powder burn rates without a chronograph?

I much prefer actual velocities, rather than calculated velocities.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
I agree Quickload is a good tool however you said yourself, it needs to be calibrated using actual velocity to be closer to accurate pressures. For that you need a Chronogrraph.

Second point is I will take tested data over Quickload estimates anytime. To me Quickload is most useful for working up loads where there are no published loading materials, Wildcats or odd powders for a particular cartridge.

Final point, Quickload is $153 U.S. so $200 CDN, you can buy a Chrony for as low as $100. In my experience the Chronograph is a far more accurate estimate of pressure than Quickload.

P.S. I see Elk and I were typing at the same time.