Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-10-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The point is that bullet construction is not identical. Even with the same bullet make and model, the various calibers and bullet weights vary as to how thy expand on game, and how well they retain weight.
Of course. The jacket thickness will vary a bit depending on calibre, but that's a lot different than comparing mono's to cup & core or std cup& core to bonded.
Retaining weight isn't always a bonus either, from what I've seen.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Interesting comparative in this formula. It does provide a decent narrative to the physics etc.
But so does a momentum calculation, TKO calculation, and a few other formulas/theories that have been expounded on the subject.

At the end of the day.
Is the bullet designed to expand?
Is the bullet designed for the intended quarry?
What is the minimum expansion threshold for the bullet of choice?
What’s the maximum expansion threshold for said bullet?
Can you stay between these values and still deliver a value of 1000 ftlbs energy for deer, and 1400 ftlbs of energy for moose or elk.

Here’s the things I’ve noticed, most big game bullets have a 1800ft/second minimum expansion threshold(ABLR’s are lower) run a ballistics calculation on the bullet of choice and see where 1800ft/sec is achieved by said bullet, then take a gander at the kinetic energy possessed by said bullet at 1800ft/sec......

By jebus on a great number of the popular cartridges there’s near perfect synergy between the two values....... hmmmm.

If you stay clear of the upper and lower values for reliable expansion, and maintain some decent kinetic energy values while doing it with a real purpose built big game bullet, stuff will die...... all the goochi theories and formulas aside.
I agree that this is more calculator nonsense than there needs to be to get out and hunt successfully, but do you feel there is a notable difference in damage between a 243 win 80 grain bullet and a 300 win mag 180 grain bullet, hitting an elk broadside at 100 yards, both with properly functioning bullets? Both would work. Is bullet damage a bigger factor or would the individual animal's mindset make a bigger difference than cartridge choice?

Last edited by Nyksta; 03-10-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:14 PM

Default For anyone who has made it this far...

For any new hunters who have made it this far... congrats.

Also, be happy with your 270/308/30-06. They all work equally well.

We are just grown up nerds like the guys who play with trains. LOL.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
For any new hunters who have made it this far... congrats.

Also, be happy with your 270/308/30-06. They all work equally well.

We are just grown up nerds like the guys who play with trains. LOL.
Haha. Well said
Old 03-10-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
I agree that this is more calculator nonsense than there needs to be to get out and hunt successfully, but do you feel there is a notable difference in damage between a 243 win 80 grain bullet and a 300 win mag 180 grain bullet, hitting an elk broadside at 100 yards, both with properly functioning bullets? Both would work. Is bullet damage a bigger factor or would the individual animal's mindset make a bigger difference than cartridge choice?
I think the 180 gr .308 would have much greater ability to change an animals mind than a 80 gr .243 at any distance.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
I think the 180 gr .308 would have much greater ability to change an animals mind than a 80 gr .243 at any distance.
Yep, and you don't have to take Physics to know that is an undeniable truth.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Why pick about as opposite ends of the spectrum as possible?

Of course the 300 wind bag will thump an elk with way more authority than a 6x51 with a wannabe big game bullet that should be a varmint bullet(80gr).

Just because it may work in a pinch doesn’t mean it should be used.
That’s where all the interesting results come from, living on the fringe!

There are no absolutes
Old 03-10-2019, 07:03 PM

Well I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this topic. The reason I was searching and found this formula was because I too am comfortable with just using what I know has always worked. Im searching for a smaller person suitable cartridge, but I want to know how much kill power I would be losing by dropping to something smaller.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Well I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this topic. The reason I was searching and found this formula was because I too am comfortable with just using what I know has always worked. Im searching for a smaller person suitable cartridge, but I want to know how much kill power I would be losing by dropping to something smaller.
Well, if you were looking for information like that you simply could hsvebposted s wuestion one G&A forum- oh waitaminit - Never mind.....,,
Cat