Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 10:07 AM

Default Restricted question

I own 1 restricted firearm and my range membership is about to expire. Do I need a membership to own my firearm (if it sits in the safe)? Or only if I want to take it to the range (transport)

Yes this is a very noobie question, but I've only found mixed info on the internet and it's mostly for Ontario people which doesn't help me in Alberta.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:52 AM

I believe you just need the range membership to be active when you are renewing your RPAL.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:28 PM

You'll be fine but if you are unsure you can give it to me and Ill give it a good home.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:23 PM
Banned

They will not renew if you dont have a current range membership. I just went through and asked this s there are multiple ranges near me that dont require a membership to shoot at but it doesn't matter.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:30 PM

Default what about

collectors?
Old 01-15-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
collectors?
I have collector status and it is not for everyone. 1 firearm will not qualify. To get status, you must apply and a package will be sent to you to fill out. submit and wait for approval.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:03 PM

Just to clarify. My gun range membership is going to expire. Not my PAL.
Do I need a range membership to keep my handgun?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:16 PM

Some of the clubs have a associate membership available. The club knows you are not going to utilize the range and you will save a lot of money. I believe they are under 50.00 and there are also ranges that cost less than 50.00 to join that are licensed for restricted use.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate_K1500 View Post
Just to clarify. My gun range membership is going to expire. Not my PAL.
Do I need a range membership to keep my handgun?
Short answer....no.

The requirement for a range membership is something the CFO came up with (to justify a transfer of restricted to you), but you won't find that requirement as a condition to have a PAL with restricted endorsement in the Criminal Code anywhere. The RPAL is all you require to legally possess, and a registration certificate for the firearm istself. Nothing more.

I have more than a few restricted firearms, and actually forgot to renew my membership for better part of a year once. I continued to buy, sell, and even shoot at my club with expired membership. Nobody caught on, including me!

There are lots of threads on gunnutz about this, go do a search there and you will quickly learn what the laws actually are, and how CFO's try to convince you that a range membership is a legal prerequisite when it is not.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 01-15-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Short answer....no.

The requirement for a range membership is something the CFO came up with (to justify a transfer of restricted to you), but you won't find that requirement as a condition to have a PAL with restricted endorsement in the Criminal Code anywhere. The RPAL is all you require to legally possess, and a registration certificate for the firearm istself. Nothing more.

I have more than a few restricted firearms, and actually forgot to renew my membership for better part of a year once. I continued to buy, sell, and even shoot at my club with expired membership. Nobody caught on, including me!

There are lots of threads on gunnutz about this, go do a search there and you will quickly learn what the laws actually are, and how CFO's try to convince you that a range membership is a legal prerequisite when it is not.
THIS!!^^
....much like how the RCMP will try to convince you that Beuwolf.50 and Ruger 10/22 mags are prohibited devices....and they are NOT!
Old 01-16-2019, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
THIS!!^^
....much like how the RCMP will try to convince you that Beuwolf.50 and Ruger 10/22 mags are prohibited devices....and they are NOT!
I haven't looked in to the beowolf magazines but has someone successfully challenged the 10/22 issue in court yet? The range where I'm a member won't allow them and you still can't but then again.

Sorry to change the subject here.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:25 AM

Default Thank you

All great info to questions I was wondering myself
Old 03-07-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I believe you just need the range membership to be active when you are renewing your RPAL.
👆🏻 And when you’re buying another restricted.