Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Banned

No need for anything "fancy" if it fits you and accurate. The 455's do just fine winning in the NRL22.
For me it will be a toss up of a 457 variant or a Tikka T1x. Tikka has a few things going for it such as compatibility of THE and T3x parts.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:27 PM

Yuppers,,, I totally agree,,, the 22 rimfire category is open to whom ever and what ever.

If it's fun to shoot, Frugal on ammo,,, then whats not to like about it.

My 10/22 will never be the pin point tack driver,,, but what it lacks in that department it makes up for in the Gophers and Coyotes dispatching,,, that and the Beavers and Badgers running around on the farm.

What funner firearm to experiment with during the off season,,, a chance to shoot paper or iron targets at distance if one chooses.

I'm into weekend 7 this winter of free hand shooting sports,,, yes I know I need to buckle down to pull off the good shots,,, and that is part of the fun.

Lots of dry fire time,,, practicing the stance,,, and mostly trigger memory.

The best part is the hiking or home made mini prs course,,, 3.4 kms with 66 swing targets,,, what a blast,,, the kids love it.

Free hand areas along with pron, kneeling, sitting or standing at any given range.

Most staging areas have 2 or 3 different size targets to tag,,, 85 to 100 meters standing,,, the 120 to 160 is mostly kneeling,,, the 160 to 220 for sitting,,, 240 to 300 free hand pron.

The kids like the selection of the 2",,, 4",,, 6",,, and the 8"""... That's the largest iron target we have on the course.

Lots of dial up or mill dots depending on the optics... 41 MOA for my short barrel unit at the 300. LOL.

Ye Ha,,, good times fore sure.

👍
Old 02-21-2019, 08:20 AM

It looks like its going to be 22 Rimfire weekend with the nice temps rolling in, Ye Ha.

Buggy with tracks is ready to go for a 3 day 2 night adventure,,, lots of camp fires,,, sight seeing,,, critter tracking,,, and the plinking thing.

Hopefully the skies are clear at night so I can watch the stars,,, kind of cool taking this in as the Wolves keep up the howling. Oh Yha.

👍
Old 02-21-2019, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
It looks like its going to be 22 Rimfire weekend with the nice temps rolling in, Ye Ha.

Buggy with tracks is ready to go for a 3 day 2 night adventure,,, lots of camp fires,,, sight seeing,,, critter tracking,,, and the plinking thing.

Hopefully the skies are clear at night so I can watch the stars,,, kind of cool taking this in as the Wolves keep up the howling. Oh Yha.

👍
Do you have a digital camera? It would be neat to see some of the adventures you always go on.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Do you have a digital camera? It would be neat to see some of the adventures you always go on.

I think ya just have to smoke the same stuff for breakfast....
Old 02-21-2019, 12:11 PM

Yes, it's my frugal bush unit.

Either the tracks,,, cross country skis or snow shoes.

I enjoy going after the Rabbits in the off season.

Dam tasty if I can get them. Ha

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ay5mmPsXBZu4fPnW8
Old 02-21-2019, 02:23 PM

I use my Command Center for most of my outting.

Frugal to get around Western Canada.

Just closing in on 30 days of winter camping. Lots of sight seeing in Northern Alberta this winter,,, dam cold up here this winter.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zFxhvoNPumy5jnHg9

Back seat bed,,, little gen-set,,, food and coffee along with the 22 rimfire and hunting rifle,,, of course I pack my ammo reloading stuff with me along with my Trad bow.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rJDgHsMjaQCKpGbG8

A little bit of work and a whole lot of good times.
No drinking or puffing after my good friend lost his son after an impaired driver took his life.

Sad indeed.

Yuppers,,, living life full bore for the both of us as we take on the good times out doors. 👍

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5tTvmF1YbC7cLS3RA

The small 22 adds alot to this fun.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:19 PM

Anyone else sick and tired of winter? I've got 9 types of target ammo to test!
Old 02-22-2019, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorman View Post
Anyone else sick and tired of winter? I've got 9 types of target ammo to test!

I was looking for some SK handgun ammo, from what I’ve heard it’s supposed to work pretty good. Never found any.

I’ve been out burning powder while waiting for the snow to melt! Green box Eley on the bottom and cci sub sonic on the top. Center bottom was just getting the scope sighted in.

50yds
Old 02-23-2019, 07:45 AM

[QUOTE=Kurt505;3935741]snip

I was not there, and am unaware of specific circumstance, but respectfully suggest that
'best practice' requires the bolt be open when not ready to fire.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:00 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=qwert;3935838]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
snip

I was not there, and am unaware of specific circumstance, but respectfully suggest that
'best practice' requires the bolt be open when not ready to fire.

Good Luck, YMMV.
I always verify a clear chamber and keep my bolts closed, it keeps them cleaner. Sometimes I leave them open for pictures to avoid these comments, but never out of safety concerns. I suppose it would be different if I was at an actual shooting range but I wasn’t.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:26 AM

We should really always keep the bolts of our rifles in our pockets.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-23-2019, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

Old 02-23-2019, 12:11 PM

Kurt, you can find SK ammo at Prophet River. A couple of places outside of Alberta are Tesro and Hirsch Precision.

I was rim soring some ammo today. Too cold and windy to poke my head outside so I figured that I should do "something" productive! I'm not sure what to expect with rim sorting, I've never done it before. I guess the proof will be in the pudding once I can get out and shoot!

Old 02-23-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Be safer if you had to keep them both locked up separately...especially for internet pictures.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:47 PM
Banned

I’m not that serious about rimfire, at least not yet but I’m really interested in seeing what you can do with your setup. I’m not really going to put too much effort into my search for ammo until my pro varmint stock arrives. After I bed it I’ll start to look for a fine tuned load, but if I can keep a sub half inch group at 50yds I’ll be happy. With my rifle the way it is I’m sure I can keep 3/4” or better at 50yds, so I’m hoping once I bed the new stock I can shrink it.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Be safer if you had to keep them both locked up separately...especially for internet pictures.
Probably right. Although I’m thinking of just staying away from people who cannot determine if a rifle is loaded or not.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-23-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Probably right. Although I’m thinking of just staying away from people who cannot determine if a rifle is loaded or not.
Agreed.
Cat
Old 02-24-2019, 08:13 AM

The Wolves are on the go,,, I got a 92 MOA dial up on one yesterday. Ha. Boolit landed 4 feet low,,, I guess my range finder was 100 meters shy of the 1435 meter mark. I hand to split some of the MOA up between dial-up and reticle mileage bars. I wonder what they call those lines inside the optic... Someday I'll read the owners manual that it came with.

The 2 main oil companies opened up 100's of miles pipe line right-ways up here to either abandon some wells or get dehy chemicals to the satellite pipeline stations.

Endless directions in every direction.
I had a Smokey dog cook along one of the openings when 2 of the pipeline workers showed up,,, I helded up the big bag of Elk smokey's and they couldn't join in fast enough.

They shared a few other spots where the Lynx had been crossing,,, dam,,,, lots of Moose on the go up here.

Yuppers,,, it was either sit around this weekend woundering if I should watch TV "that" dosen't really work for me,,, or spend it out side touring around by pick-up,,, tracked up Quad,,, on foot or lawn chair taking in the day,,, I won't be long before its 22 caliber rimfire / mountain bike time along with the kayak thing gets underway.

Rivers and creeks look at bit frozen right now.

Good weekend to all,,, that's what really counts

👍
Old 02-25-2019, 06:44 AM

I really wonder what this guys hallucinogenic babbling has to do with the title or topic of this thread....? Anybody know?
Old 02-25-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorman View Post
Kurt, you can find SK ammo at Prophet River. A couple of places outside of Alberta are Tesro and Hirsch Precision.

I was rim soring some ammo today. Too cold and windy to poke my head outside so I figured that I should do "something" productive! I'm not sure what to expect with rim sorting, I've never done it before. I guess the proof will be in the pudding once I can get out and shoot!

Does rim thickness sorting really improve accuracy?
Old 02-25-2019, 08:24 AM

In my tests yes Wight sorting and rim sorting does improve group sizes. My mkll will go from 1/2"( average of 50 groups) to 3/8"(average of same 50 groups) groups consistently. * ALL groups shot at 50 yards prone off bags. Gains arn't huge but they are there.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:28 AM

The thread started off talking about 22 rimfires,,, then it has expanded into the good times for everyone shooting what ever they have.

From old broken stock Coye's, rusty barrel 10/22' to CZ,,, Anschutz or many other target units... Purhaps the thread started off in one direction,,, but the rest of us have add into the good times. Oh Yha !!!

My standing free hand thing was coming along good,,, lots of reading on the subject,,, trying different things and challanging my self to improving the areas of most concerns.

Things were coming along good,,, lots of 87 yard,,, 125,,, 127,,, 160 yards,,, and yesterday at the 200.... Boy,,, did things fall apart with that shooting distance. Ha.

20 & Zero at a 10" pie plate... I just couldn't get into the Grove for some reason,,, of course I was using the 3 power zoom to prevent the wobble from distracting the shots.

Ho Hummmmm,,, back to the drawing board to find out what is missing,,, I did ok with the kneeling,,, sitting,,, and prone free hand stuff,,, but the standing portion deffinatly needs some work.

It was still a good weekend as I came away with a wizer understanding of what needs to be addressed.

That's what its all about I guess.

👍
Old 02-25-2019, 08:30 AM

For those who want to try, a 243 case cut square works as a cheap rim thickness gauge.
I made a gauge using a magnetic dial indicator and a piece of flat bar stock. Drill the correct sized hole and drop the round in and set the dial on the rim. The bar stock is held on the top of the magnet block. I can sort a whole brick in less than an hour with this method
Old 02-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Banned

I had a buddy that had one made up that fits in the Hornaday (among other brands I'm sure) comparator gauge.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:20 AM

I've weighed a lot of 22 ammo from different manufacturers. Everything from bulk stuff to mid priced Euro ammo. It's easy to do while watching hockey.

Generally speaking, the higher the price of the ammo, the smaller the range of weights. IMO this is one factor that can provide you with consistent ammo.

It would be nice if a person could remove the bullet and powder from a cartridge and then weigh the bullet, powder and case. Then reassemble it all and shoot it. But, common sense tells me that the accuracy of the cartridges would be destroyed in the process.

Here comes my very simplified thoughts.
Bullets can either be of the correct weight(cw), light of weight(lw) or heavy in weight (hw). The same goes for the powder and cases. And of course, there's degrees of lightness and heaviness.

I'm ignoring case weight from this.

In a perfect world, 22 ammo would come off the assembly line with correct bullet weight and correct powder weight. Consistent ammo would be the result. But that is not the case.

However, I can weigh finished cartridges and sort them into different 'piles', according to their total weight. In a perfect world the results would look like a normal curve with the best ammo being the ammo from the middle of the curve. ie the ammo closest to the average weight

Here's the problem
A 'correct weight' bullet and a 'correct weight' powder charge would give you a 'correct weight' cartridge. This is what I would want for my ammo.
But a light bullet with a heavy powder charge could also result in a 'correct weight' cartridge. This combo should give higher velocity and should result in a flier, even thought it's total weight makes you think it is a 'good' cartridge.
Also, a heavy bullet with a light powder charge can give you a correct weight cartridge. But this combo should result in slower velocity and will most likely be a flier.

And .......
A heavy bullet with a heavy powder charge would appear to be a poor (heavy) cartridge, but in reality this could produce the desired velocity and accuracy.
Same with a light bullet and a light powder charge.

I made a simple chart about rimfire cartridge weights. Something to think about.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:45 AM

According to what I was told from ammunition manufacturers themselves , the biggest factor in accuracy consistency of rimfire Ammo is the crimp itself .
Weighing and measuring rim thickness is about all we as consumers can do to to
Assure we have the most accurate Ammo we can get for match shooting
Cat
Old 02-28-2019, 12:45 PM

^^^ X's 2

I was thinking about doing the ammo sorting thing,,, but I've had good experiences with the factory Target stuff.

Other than that I use the hollow points since I do the predator control thing.

Beldding in the 22 rimfire with my hunting rifle stuff helps keep me up to speed now days,,, alot of plinking before I luanch the heavy weights down range.

What a savings of powder and bullets little lone the reloading bench time.

I'm lucky if I spend a few hours a month now loading ammo for the full bore,,, pretty hard to not spend $3 to $3.65 for a box of 50,,, I like the 13 to 1600 rounds per bucket at $99 to $127,,,, what a deal.

Yuppers,,, Have Gun will travel since its easy to pack and darn fun to shoot,,, the kids enjoy this stuff since they like trying different targets and iron silhouettes.

I get a kick out of it my self since we get to share in the good times. That's what really counts.

👍
Old 03-08-2019, 08:45 AM

Looks like the weather is slowly coming around,,, its 22 rimfire time and finish off the hot charged center fire loads,,, hopefully I can plant 15 to 20 of them into a extra large basketball size group at distance. Ha... More like the size of a sliding barn door.

The full bore work over can't start soon enough.

The oil companies opened up 100's of cutlines up North,,, we've been traveling around by truck,,, quads with tracks,,, and sleds... Endless miles in all directions sight-seeing,,, plinking,,, stump shooting,,, and camp fire smoky -dog cooks... I must remember to bring lawn chair and warm blanket when it comes to afternoon nap time. LOL.

Its blue skies up here this morning,,, hopefully it stays the same for the next 4 days of good times.

The over night control unit is all rigged up,,, lots of food, gas,,, and toys,,, the rimfire and full bore is fun,,, the Trad bow will deffinatly add to this mix.

👍