Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-26-2016, 09:52 AM

Default Mercury Link and Sync - Dial Indicator

Hi All,

I'm currently going through a fuel system rebuild on my older Mercury outboard and as I'm preparing to do the Link and Sync once done, I'm having trouble finding a dial indicator with the spark plug adapter - other than the $150 Mercury one. That's just more than I'd like to spend on a tool I'll use once, but if I have to then I have to.

My question - does anyone have a dial indicator that they would be willing to lend me for the procedure? Or know of where to buy a decent one with the adapter? Of course, I'd be willing to offer collateral in case anything happened to the tool...

I know many people use the piston stop tool vs. the dial indicator, but since I've never done this before, I'd prefer to follow the procedure and make sure my timing pointer is perectly calibrated with the .464 method, etc.

If it matters, the motor is a 1981 115 I-6 tower.

Thanks all - as always, any advice is welcome!
Old 04-26-2016, 02:08 PM

I have one someplace around home that i used for timind ski doo engines. I will try to look for it but i live north of edmonton. You could probably use a dial indicator with a long arm and a magnetic base. Let me know if you have any luck and i will for mine.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hawk View Post
I have one someplace around home that i used for timind ski doo engines. I will try to look for it but i live north of edmonton. You could probably use a dial indicator with a long arm and a magnetic base. Let me know if you have any luck and i will for mine.
I'm still looking into other options - the magnetic arm you suggested, a piston stop, etc. but I just thought I'd throw it out there because I'd prefer to go that route. I still have the fuel pump and carbs to rebuild, so I still have some time.

Thanks Sea Hawk!