Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-25-2016, 10:58 AM

Default Fishing Kayak Experience

I am toying with the idea of getting a small fishing kayak to explore a few of the trout ponds around my area. I have been looking at the Ascend line carried by Bass Pro. I want to get one of the sit-on-top varieties and have been looking at both the 12 foot FS12T and the 10 foot FS10T. The FS10T is appealing due to weighing around 10 lbs less and most of the areas I'm looking at I have to carry the kayak in a little ways. However, a lot of the reviews for the 10 foot kayak complain about stability issues. I wouldn't be using it on any moving water but wanted to know if anyone has any first-hand experience with these smaller kayaks. I've read good things about the 12 foot version and may end up going with that instead if experiences with the 10 foot model have been bad.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Elk View Post
I am toying with the idea of getting a small fishing kayak to explore a few of the trout ponds around my area. I have been looking at the Ascend line carried by Bass Pro. I want to get one of the sit-on-top varieties and have been looking at both the 12 foot FS12T and the 10 foot FS10T. The FS10T is appealing due to weighing around 10 lbs less and most of the areas I'm looking at I have to carry the kayak in a little ways. However, a lot of the reviews for the 10 foot kayak complain about stability issues. I wouldn't be using it on any moving water but wanted to know if anyone has any first-hand experience with these smaller kayaks. I've read good things about the 12 foot version and may end up going with that instead if experiences with the 10 foot model have been bad.
I use the 12 foot sit in models. I have a 14 foot sit on model. In warm weather I can sit sideways and keep my feet warm on the 14 footer. The 12 footer is great for zipping around. Anchoring is something you must figure out. I have been putitng on the scotty anchor inserts. I can then use a rope with a lead anchor. One on the front and one on the back is essential as casting direction can be affected by wind and boat placement under anchor.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-25-2016, 01:11 PM

Just judging by the reviews I would go with the 12 or even the 128 model. You can always get a kayak cart and then carrying it won't be an issue unless on really rough ground.

Personally I would look into a nicer kayak but since you say you are only going to use it on smaller trout ponds then these would probably be good enough and they are cheap.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:42 PM

I hadn't even thought about the anchoring. Thanks Sundance.

RavYak - I looked at the kayak cart as well. That might be the way to go. As for the better kayak, I have a small fishing boat I already barely get to take out due to lack of time. We bought the kids a couple of small kayaks this year and live really close to a few small ponds so I figure this would be a good way to at least get out a couple hours at a time as the kids play around in their kayaks.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:46 PM

If you are fishing shallower water for the most part Basspro sells a nice kayak anchor. Just clip it anywhere and away you go, tie knots in it if you need it shorter at a certain spot. 20 ft is about the deepest it will work and only in a calm day at that depth.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...SELL_THUMBNAIL
Old 04-25-2016, 02:40 PM

I used this a retractable clothes line and an 2 18" lengths heavy chain,

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/re...l#.Vx597k32ZzM

I had the unit mounted to a threaded insert behind me loop it though a carrying handle then back to the anchor access port

http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/kayak/big-tuna/

Tags
ascend, fs10, fs12, kayak