Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-29-2015, 07:12 PM

bla bla bla. How many Alberta native fish do we have? Are you Ok woth the Brown Trout? Is it native? Are you Ok with a stock programm? Introducing a zombi fish with no reproduction function in the nature. How about Walleye, a pteditor?
Stop ****** about a new food souirce for pike and walleye, stop bothering others with useless comments. Deal with it. If you cannot - injoy.
All the talkes about new speaces are just bla bla bla. No result from it. Dont warry, the Mather Nature will take care of it, much better that you.

Last edited by kostianych; 04-29-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostianych View Post
bla bla bla. How many Alberta native fish do we have? Are you Ok woth the Brown Trout? Is it native? Are you Ok with a stock programm? Introducing a zombi fish with no reproduction function in the nature. How about Walleye, a pteditor?
Stop ****** about a new food souirce for pike and walleye, stop bothering others with useless comments. Deal with it. If you cannot - injoy.
All the talkes about new speaces are just bla bla bla. No result from it. Dont warry, the Mather Nature will take care of it, much better that you.
Huh??
Old 04-29-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Huh??
Quote:
My thoughts exactly...????? One too many cold ones I guess!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 04-29-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
What you fail to acknowledge is that the uncontrolled illegal spread of an invasive species across the province is not comparable to a planned stocking of walleye.

Your arrogant support of illegal carp is very sad. When are you coming out to explain your connect to the problem?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-29-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
What you fail to acknowledge is that the uncontrolled illegal spread of an invasive species across the province is not comparable to a planned stocking of walleye.

Your arrogant support of illegal carp is very sad. When are you coming out to explain your connect to the problem?
He is either clueless or a troll sundance, read post 85.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:47 PM

I vote for a troll fed up with all the useless discussions.

With all the bla bla bla the Sundance Lake pirch problem is still in place.

Having no idea how to cleane a small water body you try to find a solution for a whole province.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

Connect to a problem??? You smoke way too much.
The only problem here is the group of people trying to make an ellefant from a fly.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
He is either clueless or a troll sundance, read post 85.
Moose,

I would say a great deal of both!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:16 AM

I dont like Carp either, but aren't there a ton of introduced species that aren't native to AB? (Brown trout and Brookies being two of them)

Found the List:

The five species of game fish that have been introduced to Alberta are (eastern)
brook trout, brown trout, golden trout, smallmouth bass and Dolly Varden
(different from our native bull trout, which people used to call Dolly Varden).
Most were introduced in the early to mid part of the 20th century either as
experiments by fisheries managers or by individuals acting on their own initiative.
Rainbow trout are mostly introduced; the only native populations of rainbow trout
exist in the Athabasca River and drainage
Old 04-30-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
I dont like Carp either, but aren't there a ton of introduced species that aren't native to AB? (Brown trout and Brookies being two of them)

Found the List:

The five species of game fish that have been introduced to Alberta are (eastern)
experiments by fisheries managers or by individuals acting on their own initiative.
Rainbow trout are mostly introduced; the only native populations of rainbow trout
Absolutely correct. If you read the study that Long Shot posted on the previous page, IMO I don't think it is fair to compare the Prussian carp to the 5 species listed.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post
Absolutely correct. If you read the study that Long Shot posted on the previous page, IMO I don't think it is fair to compare the Prussian carp to the 5 species listed.
why not??? just because some of the forum members have a paranoia?????

Perch has always been around. Carp is found in Saskatchewan and BC. What is the problem?

Last edited by kostianych; 04-30-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:51 AM

Has anyone got any first hand experience on the effects these carp are having on the native fish populations? The carp have been here for awhile and somebody must be seeing something. Bigger predator fish? Less fish?
Old 04-30-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Having no idea how to cleane a small water body you try to find a solution for a whole province.
Well if you're fed up with all the "bla bla" (it's "blah") then leave. Sundance is, I believe is a fisheries biologist- correct me if I'm wrong, so he definitely knows what he's talking about. Just because there's still a perch problem in lake SD, doesn't mean efforts aren't working. In fact kostianych, seeing that years of effort to try and eradicate something so simple as perch in a trout pothole, should indicate the severity for a more destructive species. This thread will keep going, "so deal with it - or injoy"
Old 04-30-2015, 10:23 AM

thanks for your advice: I will injoy fishing and catching carp.....
Old 04-30-2015, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Has anyone got any first hand experience on the effects these carp are having on the native fish populations? The carp have been here for awhile and somebody must be seeing something. Bigger predator fish? Less fish?
I had a chance to witness introduction into environment of Prussian carp, Gegarkuni trout, walleye, snakehead and steelhead trout . The worst impact was from walleye and trout.

Last edited by straight; 04-30-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I noticed that the trout in Blood Indian this winter were much bigger. Each of the fat trout I cleaned had carp in their stomachs.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
I had a chance to witness introduction into environment of Prussian carp, Gegarkuni trout, walleye, snakehead and steelhead trout . The worst impact was from walleye and trout.
+1 and I even know the lake you are talking about
Old 04-30-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Connect to a problem??? You smoke way too much.
The only problem here is the group of people trying to make an ellefant from a fly.
Quote:
why not??? just because some of the forum members have a paranoia?????

Perch has always been around. Carp is found in Saskatchewan and BC. What is the problem?
Quote:
+1 and I even know the lake you are talking about
Welcome to Alberta(I think).

Born and raised here(me).

Comparing an invasive to stocked fish is absolutely ridiculous!

This is not a matter of native species. To bad you cant see that.

To any Albertans, this subject is and should be upsetting. Also to bad you cant see that either.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:33 PM

http://www.fws.gov/injuriouswildlife..._8-14-2012.pdf

Have a read of Section 3, pg 4 onwards of the above document to get an idea of the effects this fish can have on other fish species and the aquatic environment.

http://www.reabic.net/journals/bir/2...Elgin_etal.pdf

The above paper is based on studies and reportings of the species in Alberta between 2006 and 2014. Table 2 on page 279 documents how widespread the species is in Alberta.

Last edited by TippyCanoe; 04-30-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:38 PM

http://esrd.alberta.ca/recreation-pu...cies/fish.aspx

The above is a Notice from Alberta ESRD regarding the Prussian carp.

Last edited by TippyCanoe; 04-30-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:10 PM

Kostianych: a little light reading for you in my posts above. Please educate yourself and get back to us.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:21 PM

so what ????? I do respect your position. So please have nuts to respect my.
I live in Canada, pay taxes and have a right to have my own oppinion and view on the problem. If you dont like my position, well I dont care
have a great time
Old 04-30-2015, 04:55 PM

Default lost cause

Quote:
so what ????? I do respect your position. So please have nuts to respect my.
I live in Canada, pay taxes and have a right to have my own oppinion and view on the problem. If you dont like my position, well I dont care
have a great time
Your right everyone is entitled to their own opinion, most opinions are well educated and make sense, others....not so much!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post

Found the List:

The fish mentioned above are gamefish not an invasive species. The government put them in, the prussian carp were put in illegally
The trout and bass were put in for a reason
Old 04-30-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
The fish mentioned above are gamefish not an invasive species. The government put them in, the prussian carp were put in illegally
The trout and bass were put in for a reason
Stop trolling.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Are you saying that it takes that long to get to a pound and a 1/2 ? Or are people catching 5 lbers ?
5 lbs would be close to record size for this carp. But 2-3 lbs fish is at least 10 years old. They are slow growing fish especially in cold waters. Since in Alberta we have 6 month winter they usually hibernate in the mud during that time and do not feed.
Next time I catch one I will try to find out how old it is.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:50 AM

I don't know what impact these carp will have as they seem different then the bigger common carp. Any introduced species has an impact both positive and negative. Only time will tell how these carp will change the ecosystem.

I have seen the outrage with other species and areas with non native species. It is always doom and gloom and the end to the fishing in the waters they inhabit. Rarely the species can be removed from the waters no matter how much time and $ you throw at them.

What I have seen in other situations is yes there is always an impact and often it is not as negative as first assumed. Often some species benefit from it and others are damaged by the new species.

I do not see the introduction of these carp as a positive thing and I am against the introduction of non native species. Best thing that can be done is promote people to target them and find a use for these carp.

Lets just hope we see some positives from their introduction and not just negatives because these carp are not going away
Old 05-01-2015, 11:46 AM

Pretty sure if 1 million dollar prize for biggest confirmed carp each year would keep the number of carp in check... I would target them. I love fishing and the chance to get a big payout would have me catching and killing carp every weekend!!! Call it the million dollar Carp derby. Would be shoulder to shoulder at the carp waters.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Pretty sure if 1 million dollar prize for biggest confirmed carp each year would keep the number of carp in check... I would target them. I love fishing and the chance to get a big payout would have me catching and killing carp every weekend!!! Call it the million dollar Carp derby. Would be shoulder to shoulder at the carp waters.
Maybe but I have seen the results of shocking and netting attempts to remove other species and it is only a temp solution. This has a greater impact then angling.

Only thing that seems to work is poison the waters and start over. This is only effective in closed systems and takes years to rebuild a fishery after.

The reports are these carp how found there way into a good number of water ways. With this being the case they are here to stay and too late to remove them.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Maybe but I have seen the results of shocking and netting attempts to remove other species and it is only a temp solution. This has a greater impact then angling.

Only thing that seems to work is poison the waters and start over. This is only effective in closed systems and takes years to rebuild a fishery after.

The reports are these carp how found there way into a good number of water ways. With this being the case they are here to stay and too late to remove them.
Yes, I am aware, but really heavy angling pressure may keep them in check some