Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The trucking company faces charges as well.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4534370/o...ldt-bus-crash/
I’m really interested in what this outfit is going to be charged with and how much.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I’m really interested in what this outfit is going to be charged with and how much.
Being that the name and location of the company is the same as for a company that was associated with a crooked school for class 1 drivers, so am I.

https://www.trucknews.com/features/c...ed-with-fraud/
Old 03-23-2019, 10:16 AM

Elk11 gets it. Most of the rest of you, not so much...

I could give two chits about the bastard’s so called ‘remorse’.

His community has poisoned the trucking industry over the past two decades. He was simply the one who was responsible for the inevitable.

East Indians and trucking are Canada’s dirty little secret. It’s the reason he pled guilty. A trial would have exposed the state of the industry for all to see. He will be well taken care of once he’s out in 14 months.

They should have made an example of him. They didn’t and NOTHING will change. All of those lives were given and altered in vain. It’s infuriating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2019, 10:27 AM

My buddy saw a gravel truck driver taking a sh_t in a plastic pail while gassing up the truck. If someone is in that much of a rush that they can't go into a bathroom then there is a reason for it. It is not surprising to me one bit that this happened.

The victims' pain and suffering do not factor into the equation in this country.

Time sentenced does nothing for the grieving families, it just doesn't, but it does matter because it can serve as a deterrent to future lowlifes.

The owner of the company, the managers, and every employee who falsified logs, if that was taking place, should be in the next jail cells eating gruel and room temp water. Nothing more.

This went through the court system, but make no mistake, it never saw a JUSTICE system because we don't have one.

Trudeau senior and his spawn made sure of that.

Don't even get me started about Anne Mclellan and the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:15 PM

You have to deal with these guys every day to get the picture. It is sad and mind boggling to see what they do to each other in the trucking industry. The never-never plans, stiffing people as a matter of course. There have apparently been some crackdowns on some of the back yard shops that have inspection licences as well, and a couple have been put out of business in the last while. Some of the stories about the customer requests and requests from some of those shops are astounding, and some of the customers don't know any better than to avoid them, they just want something done as cheaply as possible, and some of these guys will sticker it, right or wrong.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
My buddy saw a gravel truck driver taking a sh_t in a plastic pail while gassing up the truck. If someone is in that much of a rush that they can't go into a bathroom then there is a reason for it. It is not surprising to me one bit that this happened.

The victims' pain and suffering do not factor into the equation in this country.

Time sentenced does nothing for the grieving families, it just doesn't, but it does matter because it can serve as a deterrent to future lowlifes.

The owner of the company, the managers, and every employee who falsified logs, if that was taking place, should be in the next jail cells eating gruel and room temp water. Nothing more.

This went through the court system, but make no mistake, it never saw a JUSTICE system because we don't have one.

Don't even get me started about Anne Mclellan and the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
Wow!
Old 03-23-2019, 02:24 PM

Default Wow!

Quote:

Agree fully.
You gotta stop talking like this, I’m starting to warm up to you.
I’ll have to research more about the Anne McLellan youth criminal justice act.
Especially since she has been brought in as a special counsel to investigate the SNC scandal.
I hope the book gets thrown at the company and training facility which sound like they are related.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittman View Post
I don't think it makes sense at all.

The driver didn't intend to hurt anyone that day, he just made a mistake. Who here hasn't ran a stop sign unintentionally at some time in their life? Wether or not there was a consequence is just luck.

Putting him in jail won't bring anyone back, wont heal the families, and won't heal the injuries of those still alive. It won't make the roads safer. It also won't make him a better person. He has to live with the burden of those deaths for the rest of his life, and I suspect that will carry a heavier toll than any time in jail.

In no way am I downplaying the suffering of the friends, families, and those injured. Changes to professional driver's licensing are in the pipe and will hopefully result in safer roadways. This may be the silver lining that gives some small bit of relief to all those involved.
Well said!
Old 03-24-2019, 05:42 AM

I see lots of people daily who do not stop at stop signs, roll through, not a complete stop, that sort of thing. As a matter of fact I too am guilty of the same offence. There is a big difference between doing a rolling stop and blowing through a stop sign at between 85 and 95 kmh. He chose to ignore the stop sign, therefore choosing to end those lives. 8 years is a joke.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalerman View Post
He chose to ignore the stop sign, therefore choosing to end those lives.
By choosing to ignore that stop , his actions would have been deliberate. Do you think his actions were deliberate?

Quote:
8 years is a joke.
Nothing about this is a joke. 8 years or a life sentence won't change a bloody thing. Either way, he will be serving a life sentence for his actions as well as all the families of the affected including his own. There's no winning here no matter what.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
I see lots of people daily who do not stop at stop signs, roll through, not a complete stop, that sort of thing. As a matter of fact I too am guilty of the same offence. There is a big difference between doing a rolling stop and blowing through a stop sign at between 85 and 95 kmh. He chose to ignore the stop sign, therefore choosing to end those lives. 8 years is a joke.
Perhaps he fell asleep and did not even see the stop sign, and the signs warning of an approaching stop sign? Given that he forged his log books and drove excess hours, that is quite possible. If he intentionally forged his log books, and drove when he wasn't eligible to drive, is he really any different that the guy that had a few extra beer before driving, and had an accident? Neither driver intentionally caused an accident, but both purposely committed violations that may have caused the accident.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
in my opinion , one of the reasons we have the mess we do on the roads is a lot of people " normalize" their bad driving habits . a stop sign is a stop sign .
rolling through is not ok . from your post , at what speed do you think you are allowed to go through a stop sign ? 5k , 15k , 25k???
if you do not come to a complete stop , you too are choosing to ignore the stop sign . if you were involved in an accident with fatalities after rolling a stop sign would you still think 8 years is a joke ?
Old 03-24-2019, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
in my opinion , one of the reasons we have the mess we do on the roads is a lot of people " normalize" their bad driving habits . a stop sign is a stop sign .
rolling through is not ok . from your post , at what speed do you think you are allowed to go through a stop sign ? 5k , 15k , 25k???
if you do not come to a complete stop , you too are choosing to ignore the stop sign . if you were involved in an accident with fatalities after rolling a stop sign would you still think 8 years is a joke ?
Get real guys. You cant compare rolling through a stop sign to blowing through one. With the 'Roll", you are aware of your surroundings and can quickly come to a stop. When you blow though one, you have NO idea and NO ability to do anything. Tell me you haven't done it?
Old 03-24-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Perhaps he fell asleep and did not even see the stop sign, and the signs warning of an approaching stop sign? Given that he forged his log books and drove excess hours, that is quite possible. If he intentionally forged his log books, and drove when he wasn't eligible to drive, is he really any different that the guy that had a few extra beer before driving, and had an accident? Neither driver intentionally caused an accident, but both purposely committed violations that may have caused the accident.
How could one be asleep and drive straight as an arrow through the intersection. Possible but highly doubtful.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I see lots of people daily who do not stop at stop signs, roll through, not a complete stop, that sort of thing. As a matter of fact I too am guilty of the same offence.
I always come to a complete stop. Not because it's the law, primarily because it ****es off the people behind me. Albertans don't seem to like stop signs for whatever reason.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
How could one be asleep and drive straight as an arrow through the intersection. Possible but highly doubtful.
Just because you nod off,doesn't mean that you immediately veer off of the road. Or he could have been partly conscious, still able to keep it on the road , but oblivious to the signs. I find that more plausible than accepting that he intentionally ignored several warning signs, as well as the stop sign.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
The problem with that idea is that the Judge herself said he was well rested. I really think he just zoned out at a the worst time possible and that had the most deviating effect on so many lives.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:02 AM

of course I've rolled stop signs . i've also paid the price . i have also skidded through stop signs on ice and i have missed one while looking for an address in an unfamiliar area .
my point was , just because you dont agree with a law or regulation , it doesnt mean you can just do what you want . stop means stop . yield means yield . yellow light means clear the intersection ( not boot it and try to get across as we read about a few weeks ago), and so on....
. this was a horrible accident i am sure i am not the only one who wishes it never happened .
Old 03-24-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
The problem with that idea is that the Judge herself said he was well rested. I really think he just zoned out at a the worst time possible and that had the most deviating effect on so many lives.
How can she know if he was well rested or not? What would she be able to use to determine how long he had been driving, besides his log book, or his word, and it has already been determined that he falsified his log book multiple times. Is she just accepting his word as being the truth?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-24-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
How can she know if he was well rested or not? What would she be able to use to determine how long he had been driving, besides his log book, or his word, and it has already been determined that he falsified his log book multiple times. Is she just accepting his word as being the truth?
I dont know.. I just know what she stated in her final judgment. She went out of her way to let be known he was well rested. That tells me that the Log books had zero direct effect on this crash.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I dont know.. I just know what she stated in her final judgment. She went out of her way to let be known he was well rested. That tells me that the Log books had zero direct effect on this crash.
Until I know what physical evidence she had to know that he was well rested, I am not so quick to accept that conclusion. The fact that he had falsified his log books, makes me doubt anything he would say about how much rest he had.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Until I know what physical evidence she had to know that he was well rested, I am not so quick to accept that conclusion. The fact that he had falsified his log books, makes me doubt anything he would say about how much rest he had.
I agree. I am not sure why there seems to be a discrepancy between what the Transport Sask guys said and what she said.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:36 AM

By choosing to ignore that stop , his actions would have been deliberate. Do you think his actions were deliberate?

Clearly I believe that he deliberately chose to blow through the stop sign. This was a deliberate act, an unintended consequence of that action is the death of 16 people and the injuries to 13 more. By choosing to blow the stop sign he clearly was willing to assume the risk involved regardless of what that was. That makes it murder in my mind. I understand the concern about log books and so forth, the talk about inadequate training, inexperience, it is the company owner's fault etc... My question is how much more training do you need to know that you need to stop at a stop sign?
Old 03-25-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Elk11 gets it. Most of the rest of you, not so much...

I could give two chits about the bastard’s so called ‘remorse’.

His community has poisoned the trucking industry over the past two decades. He was simply the one who was responsible for the inevitable.

East Indians and trucking are Canada’s dirty little secret. It’s the reason he pled guilty. A trial would have exposed the state of the industry for all to see. He will be well taken care of once he’s out in 14 months.

They should have made an example of him. They didn’t and NOTHING will change. All of those lives were given and altered in vain. It’s infuriating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is there a "nail on the head emoji???" Very well said Tree. Sooooo much true in the above quote.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
I always come to a complete stop. Not because it's the law, primarily because it ****es off the people behind me. Albertans don't seem to like stop signs for whatever reason.
I lost count of the times I’ve been passed at a stop sign.
I’m sure there are those that can justify it though.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:22 AM

I always come to a complete stop, because even if I look both ways, and am certain that it is safe to proceed, there is often a police officer watching, and waiting to hand out a ticket. But I do see many people not coming to a complete stop, and that includes police vehicles, and the photo radar vehicles as well.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Get real guys. You cant compare rolling through a stop sign to blowing through one. With the 'Roll", you are aware of your surroundings and can quickly come to a stop. When you blow though one, you have NO idea and NO ability to do anything. Tell me you haven't done it?
Agreed 100%

Jamie, there are guys on this forum who swear up and down that they have never sped. LOL.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Agreed 100%

Jamie, there are guys on this forum who swear up and down that they have never sped. LOL.
And they are the first to condemn other drivers.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:45 AM

I made the mistake a few years back about starting a thread to see what fuzz busters detected photo radar or licence plate covers... something to do with speeding. Well, let's just say I'd have rather started a thread about voting Liberal. LOL.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I always come to a complete stop, because even if I look both ways, and am certain that it is safe to proceed, there is often a police officer watching, and waiting to hand out a ticket. But I do see many people not coming to a complete stop, and that includes police vehicles, and the photo radar vehicles as well.
Yeah, I learned a lesson in October for rolling through, on a quiet Sunday morning no less, looked both ways before stopping, or rolling along in this case. Officer gave me a ticket the day after my birthday, hadn't had a ticket for over 25 years.

Put a reminder sticker in both vehicles: STOP, LOOK, LISTEN

And yes, coming to a complete stop seems to p*** a lot of people off, especially wankers in black pickups!