Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-24-2019, 06:19 PM

Default Purchasing a restricted firearm question

So, I have bought and sold a few restricted over the years. Always get asked what range I belong to. Either by the store, or when completing the transfer. I have no issue answering as to where I belong. Co worker and I were discussing buying restricted and he mentioned that you needed to belong to a range to purchase. I said you didn’t. Now I’m wondering. Do I, don’t I. The question assumes that if I’m buying that I’m going to need a place to shoot.
My question is this. Do you really need to belong to a range? My licence says I can own and buy restricteds and my att lists conditions. But no where does it say I need to belong to a range.
What if I’m a collector? What if I only use it to competitions at different ranges. Or what if it is more cost effective to pay a day rate? I know about assosiate memberships but the what if’s seem to be a grey area.
Thanks,
Tullfan
Old 02-24-2019, 06:38 PM

To my knowledge, you do not have to be a member of a range to purchase a restricted firearm.

Mr Conservation
Old 02-24-2019, 06:46 PM

Its not written anywhere but seems to be one of those things enforced at the whims of the Provincial Firearms Officer.

Many ranges have 'associate memberships' just for this requirement, but the best value I've found is to belong to AHEIA (Alberta Hunters Education Instructors Association), lowest cost I've found plus you're supporting a good organization.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:05 PM

It is not a legal requirement, but rather an over reaching of authority by CFO to demand you belong to one. Another way to make restricted ownership a hassle to dissuade people from owning them.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-25-2019, 04:07 AM

I would refer to sections 17 & 28 in the Firearms Act and then draw your own interpretation of the law!
Old 02-25-2019, 07:53 AM

Thank you. It was more curiosity on my part. But now im going to look for the specific sections in the firearms act. Pitter patter.
Tullfan
Old 02-25-2019, 09:11 AM

Its not a legal obligation but there are two purposes of owning restricted firearms 1. Collection or 2. Target shooting/sport shooting. Its the CFOs way to make sure you plan to target shoot with it but mostly a PITA. I think its something you have to prove otherwise they wont approve your transfer (for your first restricted purchase at least), I just submitted my range membership for my first purchase and have never been asked for it again.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:28 AM

You need not look any further than Section 58 of the Firearms Act, to know where this requirement comes from. Essentially Charte Blanche for the CFO.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-25-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You need not look any further than Section 58 of the Firearms Act, to know where this requirement comes from. Essentially Charte Blanche for the CFO.
Ahhh, section 58. Now I wasn’t trying to circumvent any laws. Clearly two purposes to own, target shoot and collecting. Niether requires a range membership. You need only an Att to get to and from any range legal to shoot at. You’ve theoretically jumped through all the hopps. You got a restricted licence fulfilling those requirements deeming you a non threat. It seems rediculous that the cfo can still say wether or not you can register your restricted based on what he or she may feel appropriate. Ugg. I love Canada but geeze.
That being said. Thank you for all who answered. It helped the discussion.
Tullfan
Old 03-07-2019, 11:15 AM

Default Thank you

I was wondering the same question. Thank you for all the answers.