Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-16-2014, 07:38 PM

Default Ucluelet Tourism

So I was out fishing as usual at Ucluelet and decided to do more than just fish, what a horrible idea ey? Well I came across a jem there which is the Ucluelet Aquarium. It is actually an awesome place for a small town.

I found that seeing all the large sport fish in the center aquarium only got me more hyped up for fishing. If you ever have some extra time while in Ucluelet, I'd highly recommend swinging by this place.

I took some quick footage to share with all you guys. WARNING: the sight of Rockfish, and Lingcod may give you the irresistible urge to go fish on the coast.
Vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip21BFKlOIk
Old 06-17-2014, 12:27 PM

For those of you who go to Ucluelet what else would you recommend if you had extra time to do stuff? What are the best restaurants?
Old 06-17-2014, 03:34 PM

Ukee days is good home grown fun, We have been a couple of years.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:49 PM

Thanks for that. Going there in August and didn't even know they had an aquarium!
Old 06-21-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffy View Post
Thanks for that. Going there in August and didn't even know they had an aquarium!
Make sure you keep an eye out for the Albino Salmon Fry in the Salmon Aquarium......unique.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:45 AM

Default Ice Cream

The ice cream shop makes a mean waffle cone lol! The Matterson is a great place to eat as well, very unique atmosphere(you'll need a reservation).
Old 06-22-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTK View Post
The ice cream shop makes a mean waffle cone lol! The Matterson is a great place to eat as well, very unique atmosphere(you'll need a reservation).
How hard is it to get a reservation? Aka, How many tables?
Old 04-24-2016, 10:01 PM

Things to do in Ukee

Aquarium, Wild Pacific Trail, Long Beach Golf Course, Whale Watch, Bear Watch, Fishing Charters, Zip lining, Kayaking, Surfing, Beach Combing, Mountain Biking etc. Mostly outdoors stuff and if your feeling more adventurous get a back road map book as there is tons of streams & lakes to see ( Virgin Falls )
Old 04-25-2016, 11:18 AM

Don't forget about the eagles in the harbor entrance, they like to take fish out of your hand, almost, they will travel for 1/2mile if they see you holding out a fish for them. I expect they'd take your hand if you are still holding on when they grab it. They are not afraid of the boats, they'll brush their wingtips on them.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:44 AM

Couple of guides cleaning fish on their cleaning table on the back of their boat got nailed each by a eagle last summer lol. Apparently one guy had to go the hospital because he had a talon hole just above his eye and the other guy I know well, he impact dropped him I guess the dive was hard enough that the impact was pretty good. The eagle took his hat lol I laugh about it everytime I thing about him getting up off the floor to watch his hat flying away.

All in Ukee harbour
Old 04-25-2016, 11:54 AM

Any tips on beach fishing for Coho/anything else in the area? I'm headed to Tofino the third week of August this year and am planning on hiring a charter for one day, and then just do my own thing off the beaches the rest of the week.

Time to go fishing (tides), locations (if you're willing to share), any other important information that a prairie boy needs to know?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 04-25-2016, 12:04 PM

There's lots of deep water off the rocks and the coho will be pretty thick during that time. Tofino has some trails along the coastline just walk them until you see a good spot. You will probably want a long handled net or gaff as it is usually hard to get to the waters edge as there is usually a swell breaking against the shore. The other thing that can make it harder is Kelp beds everywhere during that time of year. If you had a belly boat to get out a bit would probably be the ticket.

Ukee is approx 30 minutes away if your looking for a boat not mentioning any names but if you want to stick 100% to Tofino give Shawn a call really nice guy been guiding out of Tofino for over 30 years really knows his stuff. http://ospray.com Let him know I sent you his way
Old 04-27-2016, 07:50 AM
AO Sponsor

The zip lines were fun but very brief. They have I think 6 zip lines, over a very beautiful little emerald green river cut thru the rocks, but the majority of the hour is spent killing time between zip lines hearing stories about how the Indians made a living in that area.

Awesome trees tho! Way better than looking at the trees at Coombs

Heres a fishing question tho...

Is the fishing better at Ucluelet or at Tofino? My understanding is Ucluelet because you are fishing off a sound into deeper water whereas Tofino is all flat sandy beaches and you have to go further out? But then when the weather is crappy you can get out of the waves with all the islands at Tofino? Is a guy going to catch more at Ukee or Tofino?