Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-24-2016, 04:00 PM

Default Outboard jet drive ???

I'm looking at buying a boat this spring and I'm debating a few different options .. I'm hoping a few of you guys with expirence can help a guy out .. I'm looking for a boat good in lakes some rivers and the ocean possibly .. I've never owned a jet boat but am just concerned about sucking up weeds and if I do go to the ocean the salt water being hard on seals and such.. So I've looked into jet drives on outboards and I'm wondering if anyone has one and how they do in rivers ..and then I could change back to the prop if a guy goes to the ocean.. Looking at a 115 Mercury.. Thanks for any info .. And if any body has any suggestions I would appreciate it ..
Old 04-24-2016, 05:35 PM

jet lower legs for outboards do work, but you loose a lot of efficiency, as you would expect. Sure you could swap your prop for a jet drive to suite certain conditions, that means dropping the lower leg every time you swap out. And that would get old really quick, and the more times you drop your lower leg....the more chances of screwing stuff up and causing more issues. I looked into this extensively a few years back and after figuring in costs, amount of work to swap back and forth and potential to go wrong....just wasn't worth it. So i carefully evaluated what i will be using my boat for and stuck with the prop drive. Having said that, if you look over the numbers to buy a jet drive, and understand completely the effort, and risks of swapping back and forth, and have a hull that you think will work for all the conditions you mentioned...well maybe your take on it will be different. Just make sure you get all the info!
Old 04-24-2016, 05:36 PM

I have 2 riverboats. A sport jet and 40 horse outboard jet. There great. Jets can be headaches at times especially for weeds. If you have a short temper and no patience don't get one
Old 04-24-2016, 09:43 PM

First of all, I have no previous experience with boats prior to mid August last summer. It depends on if going on the river is seriously on your list. For me it was a priority as I live 10 minutes from the North Sask river and I wanted to be able to go play on it as well as other rivers. The dozen or so times I was out on lakes last fall I had a few weed suck ups that half of them I just shut of the motor and they fell of. One, I just paddled out of the weeds then carried on. You have to be watching for the weeds on the lakes and avoid them. So like as has been already mentioned, you may need patience at times. If you want to go on rivers, that sums up the choice in my opinion, jet can do both, but prop can't/shouldn't do rivers.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:39 AM

You need a fairly flat hull for an outboard jet to work well. In addition you lose approx 35% power with the jet. A good jet boat won't be great in rough water. In fact it will downright hurt. You can do it but to try to get all purpose means you will greatly sacrifice in one area or another. And no they don't like weeds at all. Found that out the hard way.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:01 AM
AO Sponsor

What about a jet with a stomp grate? do these things work in weeds?
Old 04-25-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
What about a jet with a stomp grate? do these things work in weeds?

Some times depends how tangled they are. I find if I am moving at a good pace shut my engine off and then hit the stomp grate it works better then if your sitting still. I find that weeds are only an issue at the boat launch. Once out in the lake it's ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2016, 09:39 AM

Best just to have 2 boats.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
Best just to have 2 boats.
I think I agree with you. I have an outboard jet that works well on the river. Friends say I should have a prop leg to fish the lakes. Mine will work not bad on a lake but it is not a rough water boat. Something else to consider is how long a leg you will need. My boat had the transom built up for the outboard jet when I bought it, it may be too tall for a prop leg.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:07 PM

Once had a 20' jet boat with a an American Turbine pump as well as a stomp grate. Got caught in low weedy water. The shaft was wound up so tight with weeds that I actually had to cut the weeds off with a knife. It was less than fun. It ended up taking about 2 hrs until I could get going again. i.e. don't get a jetboat without a kicker and stay out of the weeds.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the info fellas .. I've got a bit of himming and hawing to do that's for sure but I appreciate the insight ... This is gunna get expensive and fun hah..