Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 PM

Default Attic Insulation- getting lots of price ranges

Any input would be great...

50y/o bungalow has 6-8inches of cellulose and 1-2inches of wood chips, so I'd like to add R30. 1200 sqft. I've had quotes from $1300 to $1800, one guy says only use friberglass blow in, another says firberglass R value drop by 50% if its colder than -8C. None of these guys talk about whats included in the price until you ask them specifically ie: shutes, ins stops, draft proofing etc. And their responce is "oh ya we'll do that".

This afternoon one guy was actually asking me questions- which was nice. HE was concerned about the wood chips and said its really important to get them three feet away from the outter edge because it can lead to problems. "I can come in and just blow in some insulation if that what you want but...". So to suck out the old chips and blow in the new stuff "its $2750 cause we need two trucks" or "$2250 if there isnt much chips".

So one out of seven guys raised a concern about wood chips- but the others didnt. Way too many red flags with these guys, and it "only takes a couple hours". I'm in the wrong business- $600-$900/hr.

Thoughts?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:15 PM

Go rent the machine and do it yourself??
Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 PM

I like the concept of getting the wood chips away from near the eaves & outside walls where it would be preferable to have the higher performing insulation. Having the wood chips remain there would allow far too much air movement. I did the attic in my previous house (1954 vintage) with R-22 batt insulation over all the wood chips, but raking them back from the eaves as described and putting the fibreglass in there. I was extra careful on the fitment and trimming of the batts around framing and the chimney and such. I don't think any contractor i could have hired would have been quite so fastidious. Our new home we spray foamed in its entirely, I can actually walk on it up there and there's no dust!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck View Post
Go rent the machine and do it yourself??
thought about it- cost was @$1200 all in. I'm willing to pay a "pro" I just cant find a straight shooter when I talk to these guys.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanter View Post
thought about it- cost was @$1200 all in. I'm willing to pay a "pro" I just cant find a straight shooter when I talk to these guys.
I'd be doing alot of the prep work myself, save cash and make damn sure it's done right. My ex had her roof insulated with blown in while I was out of town, nevertheless, not much was done to keep said roof breathing. Do you have vented soffits under your eaves or plywood?

The other big question is how much room is up there to work in?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Gone Hunting

Get your quote in writing with the work itemized. Anything not listed will cost you more.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
I'd be doing alot of the prep work myself, save cash and make damn sure it's done right. My ex had her roof insulated with blown in while I was out of town, nevertheless, not much was done to keep said roof breathing. Do you have vented soffits under your eaves or plywood?

The other big question is how much room is up there to work in?
Has the soffit been changed to metal? If not that should be done first, make sure your insulation stops are up and functional. If they blow insulation over wood product soffits, mold will grow in a few years. It takes a fair bit of money to do it right. Not sure why the guy is worried about wood chips unless he looked and knows that they are over the soffits. Easiest way to make sure it's done right is to change the soffit, and make sure the insulation stops are properly installed. I'm not positive but I don't think there is enough room to do that from the attic. Problem with stuff like this is, it takes years for problems to show up and by then your contractor is long gone.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 PM

Its possible to install insulation stops from the inside, its just not pleasant, nor for anyone skittish of cramped spaces. I did leave in the old plywood soffits, adding a few vents to them, twice as many on the soffits on the side of the south facing roof as the north facing roof soffit. Being that I installed batt insulation instead of blow-in, getting excess insulation over them and creating airflow problems and mold wasn't an issue. Picking the day where the attic is a reasonable temperature is the trick, summer is not the time for this chore. This week however would be fine.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Its possible to install insulation stops from the inside, its just not pleasant, nor for anyone skittish of cramped spaces. I did leave in the old plywood soffits, adding a few vents to them, twice as many on the soffits on the side of the south facing roof as the north facing roof soffit. Being that I installed batt insulation instead of blow-in, getting excess insulation over them and creating airflow problems and mold wasn't an issue. Picking the day where the attic is a reasonable temperature is the trick, summer is not the time for this chore. This week however would be fine.
We had a crew come through our neighborhood about 20 yrs ago when the gov. was giving money to upgrade. Every bodies soffit is rotten now. I redid ours about 6 yrs ago, they blew the plywood stops right off, who the heck puts up 1/8" Plywood stops with 1" finishing nails? All these houses were built by the same contractor in 77.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Has the soffit been changed to metal? If not that should be done first, make sure your insulation stops are up and functional. If they blow insulation over wood product soffits, mold will grow in a few years. It takes a fair bit of money to do it right. Not sure why the guy is worried about wood chips unless he looked and knows that they are over the soffits. Easiest way to make sure it's done right is to change the soffit, and make sure the insulation stops are properly installed. I'm not positive but I don't think there is enough room to do that from the attic. Problem with stuff like this is, it takes years for problems to show up and by then your contractor is long gone.
Yes metal soffits. I'm thinking I should do the prep work as mentioned, I'm honestly not that anal of a consumer- just have a real accurate BS meter.

Appreciate the input gents.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I rolled around up there for 45mins and it got old real fast. I'm 270lbs and the wife gave me the "who are you kidding look" I figure it would take me 3-4hrs just to put in the shutes/stops haha
Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 PM

I could see 270 being an issue in an attic. Heck, it would likely open up the ceiling for easier access from a ladder in the living room if you could get between the studs I'm 170 these days, but that chore was about 15lbs ago. With the heat, the restrictive coveralls and the respirator it's already unpleasant before you get into the cramped quarters.