Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-09-2023, 04:33 PM

Default Hauling Game

Hey just a thought, anyone make a ramp off the back of your quad or sxs for hauling game. Could put small wheels or skis & drag it behind. Strap the game to the board.
Thing it will work?
Old 10-09-2023, 07:22 PM

NOPE!!!

You have to have the flexibility to turn and back up, which your design does not.

How about a simple quad trailer? Now it will flex as the quad / SXS goes through a hole and not hang up. If a tight turn is needed, the trailer pivots.

I have a design which has been bullet proof for well over 20 moose. That is the whole moose loaded, onto the goose neck, drop axle trailer.

This thing has gone through cut blocks and not hung up, it has gone back 20 km through creeks and muskegs.

Believe me, your design needs some real world experience. Go back over my past threads. Lots of hard learned lessons on this design.

Drewski
Old 10-09-2023, 08:49 PM

Guess it depends on what kind of terrain.
I’ve used a calf sleigh behind the quad (in the snow) many times to haul deer out without any problems.
Old 10-09-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
NOPE!!!

You have to have the flexibility to turn and back up, which your design does not.

How about a simple quad trailer? Now it will flex as the quad / SXS goes through a hole and not hang up. If a tight turn is needed, the trailer pivots.

I have a design which has been bullet proof for well over 20 moose. That is the whole moose loaded, onto the goose neck, drop axle trailer.

This thing has gone through cut blocks and not hung up, it has gone back 20 km through creeks and muskegs.

Believe me, your design needs some real world experience. Go back over my past threads. Lots of hard learned lessons on this design.

Drewski
Went through some many of your posts I started to go cross eyed lol
Care to share a link to your design?
Old 10-09-2023, 10:34 PM

Default X2 on more info

Yes, a couple pics would help in my quest for getting Elk out of some nasty terrain 👍
Old 10-09-2023, 11:24 PM

I did that years ago to hull out an elk about 5 km back to my truck .
Sweet part is it slipped under my quad .
It was about 2 ft wide 5 ft long plus i bolted a 2x2 tubing to the front with a ball hitch . In the back I did place a 5/8 inch axle with some dolly wheels on and for sides i used 2x4
I winched the elk onto it then used tie downs to strap him down .
Give me a Pm if you want it cheep . Just sold my quad no longer need it .
Old 10-10-2023, 07:54 AM

I built a 24x30 in rack that slips into the receiver hitch on my quad. The unit angles up and out just a bit. Really easy to strap the head to it then drag or pull the fron shoulders up on to it and strap the head to the back rack have pulled many moose, elk ect.. its small enough tonjust strap to the back of the quad for transportation.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:28 AM

My design is similar to this: https://www.amazon.ca/Extreme-Max-50.../dp/B08XWG9NGR

However, I welded up a 360 degree frame from an old bed frame to drop the sled inside. This allows for the pulling stress to be on all sides not just the two bolt-on locations.
I then attached the removable tow bar to the metal frame.

I reinforced the underside of the caving sled with puck-board. This allowed for a longer life to the sled. Over the years, I have towed over some rough terrain.
That puck-board is very resilient and a sled saver.

Good luck

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-10-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkrub View Post
Hey just a thought, anyone make a ramp off the back of your quad or sxs for hauling game. Could put small wheels or skis & drag it behind. Strap the game to the board.
Thing it will work?
I had a little flat deck running on wheel barrow tires for a few years, put skis on it too for it to slide on over logs or soft ground, it could pack a whole moose or elk a long ways, your idea would work but I'd attach it to your receiver with a coupler.

Since then I built a 3x5 to run on atv tires after I had too many wheel barrow tires fail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hunting2002020.jpg (76.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg hunting2002027.jpg (109.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 0BBC53FA-2430-4F9D-B25A-086B8F8B92CF.jpg (97.4 KB, 131 views)
Old 10-10-2023, 11:25 AM

My 82 year old hunting partner built us a couple walking beam trailers with boat winch to load whole moose or elk couple years back. The trailers are all steel and fit together with heavy pins. Will haul ton of birch wood. Also can be converted to skid 2000 LB pine logs to build log cabins pulled with 500 quad.
PS I could load entire trailer sections and quad in 6 ft truck box.
Old 10-12-2023, 07:07 AM

Hawk Crawler Game Cart has lots of good reviews if you can figure hitch/attachment method to ATV rack. The biggest complaint seems to be tire durability over time. Youtube videos showing number of E-bike users adapting cart to bikes. Need to do your price checking though. https://www.cabelas.ca/product/98225...riantId=276390. Versus https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/h...awler+cart#srp.

Last edited by jungleboy; 10-12-2023 at 02:00 PM.